Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex Express in Pro-Falmer schocker

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hilariously, my works filter will not let me open that, as it classes it as 'chat'!

Nort Stand CHAT, apparently is fine though!

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
By Ray Eggleton
When Tony Blair began his term as Prime Minister the Seagulls had already lost the Goldstone Ground, their home. A decade on and Tony prepares to leave number 10 as one of the longest serving PMs in history - and the Albion are still homeless. No tears though as I'm sure he has a place, or two, to go.

The Chancellor and soon to be PM, Gordon Brown, has been a football fan all his life (Raith Rovers). When visiting Brighton as part of the City Festival he said, allegedly, that he looked forward to a favourable response in respect of our new home. Ruth Kelly can give Gordon a positive start to the new era of his running the country by the right decision on our Falmer stadium in just a few weeks time.

Watching the Man United–Chelsea cup final brought back mixed emotions, good and sad. Twenty-three years ago we were there! The old Wembley, Brighton & Hove Albion against Manchester United. Unfortunately there is a generation that doesn't know the Seagulls were in the Premiership (Division 1 as it was then!) and almost won the FA Cup.

On the day we were magnificent. 99,999 and me saw Brighton outplay Manchester United for much of the game. Unlike the recent final it was a positive and exciting game. After 90 minutes the score was 2–2 - extra-time! With just two minutes of the extra half-hour remaining came the "famous" "And Smith must score" moment. Gordon Smith in the clear ten yards out to clinch a 3 – 2 win and give us the FA Cup.

To be fair it wasn't quite the open goal suggested and Gary Bailey in the United goal did well to save with his legs. And Smith did score! People forget that Gordon Smith did score Brighton's first goal after 13 minutes. It ended as a draw. We would have won the penalty shoot-out of course, but there had to be a replay. The rest, as they say, is history.

Fans who followed Brighton to the top, Premiership and FA Cup, want those good times back. Falmer can be the springboard. 30,000 plus squeezed into the Goldstone, 25,000, our allocation, went to Wembley, and almost 30,000 went to Cardiff recently. Football could come home to Brighton, and Sussex, given a stadium. The fans are here.

Last Updated: 07 June 2007

Ray Eggleton has ALWAYS been pro-Falmer. Indeed, he was one of the people who nominated me as a Seagulls Party candidate at the recent elections. And he was out delivering leaflets for the campaign in Ringmer.

His problem has been that his weekly column in the Sussex Express has always had to be approved by the Sports Editor, who had the main Editor peering over his shoulder.

Now that both have changed, Ray is being a bit more successful in getting the whole of his weekly column actually printed.

:thumbsup:

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
So get writing and emailing to the Sussex Express "letters" section saying how refreshing it was and what a good article and how nice it is to see a Lewes paper being pro Falmer blah blah.

I shall write mine tomorrow and email it to them.

jevs said:
So get writing and emailing to the Sussex Express "letters" section saying how refreshing it was and what a good article and how nice it is to see a Lewes paper being pro Falmer blah blah.

I shall write mine tomorrow and email it to them.
I just hope this doesn't ring alarm bells in the Sussex Express editorial office and Ray ends up having his future copy clipped.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Lord Bracknell said:
I just hope this doesn't ring alarm bells in the Sussex Express editorial office and Ray ends up having his future copy clipped.

Well don't f***ing bother then....i won't if it's going to cause problems.

I'm not saying don't do it, Jevs. I'd be interested to see whether the Express will simply return to type.

The women who do the Falmer 'Parish Pump' column (and the Rodmell one) get away with their anti-Albion propaganda all the time.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
jevs said:
Well don't f***ing bother then....i won't if it's going to cause problems.

:lolol: I think if you're going to get upset about nothing then you need to join HB&B on his impersonation thread.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I've known Ray for a number of years and he's an avid Albion fan and South Stand season ticket holder, although he's been trying for a press pass for years.

he sends me his articles before they get butchered. Also very knowledgable on the business side of the club, well, he was before he retired.

Think he'll be pleased as punch to have hit the pages of NSC!

I've had an e-mail this evening from Ray. I'm sure he won't mind me passing it on to NSC ...

The Sports editor of Sussex Express has so much cricket to cover that the Seagull Scene is squeezes out some weeks!! that's the bad news.

The good news is that he is putting it on the paper web page so it's on-line with one click!!

The link is below. Hope it works ok

Read Seagulls Scene online this summer! at http://www.sussexexpress.co.uk/sport?articleid=2938468 and I thought it may interest you.

regards

Ray.

Dez

Jul 5, 2003
Brighton
I can confirm that I am also in the "Eggleton Clique" - Ray happens to be my uncle!

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Ray Eggleton has ALWAYS been pro-Falmer. Indeed, he was one of the people who nominated me as a Seagulls Party candidate at the recent elections. And he was out delivering leaflets for the campaign in Ringmer.

His problem has been that his weekly column in the Sussex Express has always had to be approved by the Sports Editor, who had the main Editor peering over his shoulder.

Now that both have changed, Ray is being a bit more successful in getting the whole of his weekly column actually printed.

:thumbsup:

Who's the editor? Hasn't that old piss-head Eccles retired now?

The latest message circulating around the Eggleton clique reveals this, from the editorial office of the Sussex Express:-

"Good news about putting Seagulls Scene on our website: we can track exactly how many hits a story gets and, over the period from Thursday when I put it on, to this morning, it’s attracted more than twice as many hits as the next most popular story – that’s including news AND sport! Apparently putting keywords like “Seagulls” in the headline helps. And if I can find the space to advertise the column in the paper this week it should attract even more hits".

Wow! Sussex Express discovered to have Albion supporters among its readership!

Sensational stuff. Let's hope that the new editor starts to question who butters his bread. Albion supporters? Or Lib Dem councillors?

Hasn't that old piss-head Eccles retired now?
Oh yes... although he's still allowed to write his "Rouser" column, offering readers little snippets picked up from the County Record Office, an establishment that is, of course, conveniently located midway between the Lewes Arms and the Brewers Arms.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Brewers arms update L.B

Eccles hour in the afternoon is now known as ..............Eccles afternoon

He also has a special card the staff mark off to keep a record of how much cider he has drunk its 5 and out......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here