Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stop this nonsense of Covid passports, ID and masks

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It's not the club's fault we still have Covid circulating - how could they possibly ensure it is 'properly safe' ??
They've taken reasonable (IMO anyway) measures to limit the risk of spread - it's up to you if you want to take that risk. I don't perceive there is much risk sat in my seat - I'm not facing anyone and it's outdoors. I can choose to spend minimal time on the concourse, and I can wear a mask there.

I have the same issue re upcoming travel and will be careful - but there is just as much chance I'll pick it up buying a pint of milk at the co-op as at the Amex.

I think I said in my last sentence that it wasn’t the clubs fault. I just wondered if they’d covered off the fact that it doesn’t do enough to enable everyone to return and how they are responding to that. I also think they’ve probably done all they can with the measures they’ve introduced but it’s far from foolproof.
I guess my problem is more with the government shirking responsibility. There is allegedly no need for restrictions any more, so it’s either safe or it isn’t. The requirements for travel also are over the top, but there’s nothing I can do about that, either. The government seem to have made most believe that they are now safe when clearly they aren’t. I guess I just don’t think we should be returning to full capacity yet and am a bit pissed off that it is adversely affecting me.
I’d also disagree that you’re safe in your seat if you’re sat next to someone with COVID. Small risk indeed, but it’s still there, as you’ll be sat breathing the same air for most of 2 hours.
I think I’m clear now that I’ll be putting the first 4 games on the ticket exchange. I also won’t be going to the co-op for my milk. I’ve had everything delivered since last February and see no reason to change that just yet!
I hope everyone enjoys the return. I was really hoping that it really would be back to normal by now but it’s just come a little too early for me.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I presume go up to non-mask wearers like me and shame them to their faces.

I also presume you demand everyone should have a vaccine for flu as well, considering you’ve probably picked up flu at some point in your life, passed it on and that has lead to killing someone. You must’ve worn masks every time flu came about to, even though they don’t work.

Covid. Is. Not. Flu.

But I am very much of the opinion those entitled to a flu jab should get one to minimise the risks to themselves. I also believe people who are ill shouldn’t place themselves in areas of high transmissibility such as offices. Aren’t you?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Good luck with that! :lolol:

My experience this weekend in the real world is the polar opposite of the sentiment of this thread.
Nottingham city centre was absolutely heaving, all the bars and clubs were packed with young people (and a few oldies) not wearing masks and funnily enough there was no shaming or screaming for a policeman.

The grumbling and finger pointing only seems to happen online :shrug:

“You know who I think are the best arbiters of the national psyche? Crowds of drunk young men.”

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think I said in my last sentence that it wasn’t the clubs fault. I just wondered if they’d covered off the fact that it doesn’t do enough to enable everyone to return and how they are responding to that. I also think they’ve probably done all they can with the measures they’ve introduced but it’s far from foolproof.
I guess my problem is more with the government shirking responsibility. There is allegedly no need for restrictions any more, so it’s either safe or it isn’t. The requirements for travel also are over the top, but there’s nothing I can do about that, either. The government seem to have made most believe that they are now safe when clearly they aren’t. I guess I just don’t think we should be returning to full capacity yet and am a bit pissed off that it is adversely affecting me.
I’d also disagree that you’re safe in your seat if you’re sat next to someone with COVID. Small risk indeed, but it’s still there, as you’ll be sat breathing the same air for most of 2 hours.
I think I’m clear now that I’ll be putting the first 4 games on the ticket exchange. I also won’t be going to the co-op for my milk. I’ve had everything delivered since last February and see no reason to change that just yet!
I hope everyone enjoys the return. I was really hoping that it really would be back to normal by now but it’s just come a little too early for me.

It's tricky - everyone will have their own degree of risk tolerance/acceptance but literally nowhere is 100% safe and the club can't cater for every individual's circumstances or degree of concern - individuals have to decide. I didn't say it was safe in your seat, but I do think the risk is very low............incidentally I also think there will be a lot of empty seats (people not ready to go back, worries about transport, inability to hand tickets over etc), at least initially so moving into a bit more space in the ground might be an option

I'll be far more circumspect in the week or two before I'm due to go away for sure but that's my choice - I think (at least at this point) the government have struck a reasonable balance in trying to get things returning to normal whilst managing the impact of the virus - it's down to me to work out how much risk I want to take now. What doesn't help IMO is the anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers insisting on their 'freedom' as we try to plot our way out of this. Just have to hope the weight of vaxxed population is sufficient soon to keep the virus at manageable levels.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
This,

In summary, my match day experience was:

Train journey in - just like the first half of the 2019/20 season. As mentioned elsewhere on this thread this won't be for everyone and is probably the biggest risk v freedom decision you'll make for an Albion game.

Getting in the North Stand - time wise no difference to normal. Instead of being lightly frisked by stewards they instead looked at my Covid Pass (already with my phone out for tickets) and quickly but definitely matched it to my ID. They weren't in the least bit interested in my 14 year old son's ID. The phone tickets work far better on the turnstiles than the print at home used to.

Once in - short queue for a pint for me and some food for the boy. Ate and drunk mask less. Said hello in the good old fashioned way to a couple of old faces. Sat in the seats and sang, maskless. Watched the Albion play badly and lose with a terrible ref in charge.

The only thing that wasn't "normal" was that instead of checking you for weapons that could, in theory, hurt someone in the ground you were checked for protection against a disease that could kill someone inside the ground.

I do agree that none of this is paying a fiver to a bloke in a turnstile at the Goldstone and standing swaying behind the goal with a fag in your hand, nor will away trips be as easy as they once were, but that was always the case with the Amex and Premier League football. If you want that experience go and watch any one of the local non league teams.

Precisely .............. the ref WAS terrible!!

Oh ... and yes, I agree with everything else in your post. I drove with a mate and parked in the Bridge car park (parking ticket on iPhone). Got there nice and early as I like to do ... quick look around the club shop and then onto entrance to Lower West. Phone and ID out - literally took a couple of seconds and then as you say, the ticket on the phone works a dream. No queue for food/drink ... took pie and cuppa out to our seats and had a good old natter until kick off.

We did wear our masks in the concourse at all times - including putting them back on as we left at the end. The vast majority weren't though ...

And did I mention the ref was terrible!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good luck with that! :lolol:

My experience this weekend in the real world is the polar opposite of the sentiment of this thread.
Nottingham city centre was absolutely heaving, all the bars and clubs were packed with young people (and a few oldies) not wearing masks and funnily enough there was no shaming or screaming for a policeman.

The grumbling and finger pointing only seems to happen online :shrug:

I did hear someone tut quite loudly in Waitrose earlier :)

...precisely why a much higher % of those now going in to hospital are younger

My nephew (he's 19) has been out pubbing with his mates a lot since 'freedom day' (including the Euros) and fits that profile - he's currently recovering from Covid which was pretty nasty. He caught it just as he was due his first jab. He lives with my mother - luckily she had both jabs some time and and didn't suffer any effects

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I did hear someone tut quite loudly in Waitrose earlier :)

...precisely why a much higher % of those now going in to hospital are younger

My nephew (he's 19) has been out pubbing with his mates a lot since 'freedom day' (including the Euros) and fits that profile - he's currently recovering from Covid which was pretty nasty. He caught it just as he was due his first jab. He lives with my mother - luckily she had both jabs some time and and didn't suffer any effects

Hopefully this scenario will calm down eventually once there's a bit more immunity in younger people either through infection or the vaccine. It's certainly not ideal, but IMHO it's the lesser of two evils when the alternative is never ending restrictions.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It's tricky - everyone will have their own degree of risk tolerance/acceptance but literally nowhere is 100% safe and the club can't cater for every individual's circumstances or degree of concern - individuals have to decide. I didn't say it was safe in your seat, but I do think the risk is very low............incidentally I also think there will be a lot of empty seats (people not ready to go back, worries about transport, inability to hand tickets over etc), at least initially so moving into a bit more space in the ground might be an option

I'll be far more circumspect in the week or two before I'm due to go away for sure but that's my choice - I think (at least at this point) the government have struck a reasonable balance in trying to get things returning to normal whilst managing the impact of the virus - it's down to me to work out how much risk I want to take now. What doesn't help IMO is the anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers insisting on their 'freedom' as we try to plot our way out of this. Just have to hope the weight of vaxxed population is sufficient soon to keep the virus at manageable levels.

I hope we both get our holidays.

My reason for being cautious now is that if you get COVID, you will likely still test positive up to 90 days after first infection, despite not being infectious.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hopefully this scenario will calm down eventually once there's a bit more immunity in younger people either through infection or the vaccine. It's certainly not ideal, but IMHO it's the lesser of two evils when the alternative is never ending restrictions.

Agree - I think some people were expecting to go from the significant restrictions straight back to 'old normal' once we got to 'freedom day' - but it was never going to happen like that and very naive to think so. Big question will be how close, and when, do we get to the point of 'normal'. Definitely the lesser of two evils for me - if what we're doing now allows us to continue to move in the right direction that's fine - much better for example than the continuous cycle of lockdowns now being seen in some of the places that were being held up as the 'best' a few months ago. Just need a bit of patience.

Brighton Rocker

Jul 16, 2011
TN 21
Have you seen the infection rates in Brighton currently?
There’s no way there will be nobody with COVID in the stadium on any given match day given those numbers.
My problem is that I need to provide a negative test on the day I start a holiday in October, so I’m trying very hard not to catch it before then. Attending the Amex would represent a bigger risk than I am currently taking anywhere.
What I haven’t seen is what the club will do to help me in this situation in the short term. If I am unwilling to take the risk they are expecting me to take having decided to open up to full capacity with infection rates so high, so I believe I only have the option of listing my tickets on the exchange. What if they don’t sell? I bought a season ticket expecting it to be properly safe when we were allowed in. It isn’t.
I know it’s the government who have put everyone in this situation rather than the club, but it’s really not helpful.

I have every sympathy for your predicament and think the Club should consider the position of those who can’t take the risk.
I was intending to go to last night’s match but decided it was too risky as one of my sons is getting married next Saturday so, am avoiding crowded places as a precaution.
There is no easy answer but, I suppose everyone has to do their own risk assessment.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
That’s right. So, what are you trying to argue with me about now?

Vaccines are effectively twofold. Firstly, they reduce the chance of infection and also passing on the infection. It’s not foolproof but greatly reduces the risk. Secondly, and this is the biggy for me, it enhances the bodies immune system over and above what the human body would do on its own, hence the reductions in hospitalisation compared to the non vaccinated.

It’s a numbers game and having the jab greatly reduces the chance of the virus getting out of hand, but only if we ALL play our part. The evidence is there and only the terminally stupid would argue otherwise.

Finally, masks. The reason the medical profession wear masks is to prevent passing on any infection that they may have caught from a previous patient and not the other way round. The act of wearing a mask protects others, not yourself. Personally, i think it an act of the utmost selfishness if you don’t wear a mask when requested. It’s not difficult and you might just save someone’s life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I have every sympathy for your predicament and think the Club should consider the position of those who can’t take the risk.
I was intending to go to last night’s match but decided it was too risky as one of my sons is getting married next Saturday so, am avoiding crowded places as a precaution.
There is no easy answer but, I suppose everyone has to do their own risk assessment.

Isn't this precisely one of the reasons the ST sharing scheme was introduced ?

el punal

It is all advisory. This means you can ignore it. Same at my place of work :shrug:

Albeit the owner of premises can make up any rules they like as long as they aren't discriminatory.

Is it advisory though? I was under the impression that the club can enforce these measures as part of their T&Cs for wishing to enter the Amex, or am I mistaken?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Bet it was worth it though, right ?

I've had two discussions today about travel testing requirements with pals (re an upcoming trip) - all agreed it's a faff, but we're still going (hopefully)

Definitely, for a bit of admin and briefly checking whilst away (in case it went Amber+ ….. I learnt to disregard The Independent which salivating at the prospect, articles based on zero facts and zero inside information).

We love holidays, 8 amazing days in the sun and warmth.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Definitely, for a bit of admin and briefly checking whilst away (in case it went Amber+ ….. I learnt to disregard The Independent which salivating at the prospect, articles based on zero facts and zero inside information).

You timed it well. Monsoon like weather here and not just up north

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Currently in Jersey back home tomorrow, yesterday booked a week inn Lanzarote going this Thursday as we can switch booked tests for a cancelled holiday to this one.

As long as you are prepared and follow guidelines easy to get away.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Currently in Jersey back home tomorrow, yesterday booked a week inn Lanzarote going this Thursday as we can switch booked tests for a cancelled holiday to this one.

As long as you are prepared and follow guidelines easy to get away.

There were quite a few hurdles. I just jotted it all down and got on with arranging it all a couple of weeks before the hols. It looks more burdensome that it is. Second time around I’d find it a sinch.

PCR tests:
1. I arranged for a lab to send a courier to our hotel three days before leaving, he waited whilst we did the necessary, the next day we were texted and emailed negative results. The hotel kindly printed out anything I wanted for the flight.

[Turns out the hotel, part of a chain, carries out its own pcr tests for guests daily. I did call their Palma HQ beforehand to ask, but the customer services bloke got it wrong and said “no”].

2. I arranged test kits to be ready for us when we got home for the “Day 2 test”. Did that and I popped their boxes through dedicated letter box in Brighton. Just one of dozens of UK labs and I later spotted on NSC a guy who runs all that at Five Ways.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I am considered 'Clinically Extremely Vulnerable' after losing an eye to Ethmoid cancer three years ago. Then six months later having a 22mm tumour removed from my brain.
The drugs I have had to take in the last two and a half years have left me absolutely knackered.
I have had two jabs and my sons have set my phone up to gain entry to the Amex - hopefully they work coz there will be a long line behind me effing and jeffing if not.
I fully intend to watch every home game that I'm able to - masked up.
I would hope that others would respect the advice given by the club to keep everyone safe.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Is it advisory though? I was under the impression that the club can enforce these measures as part of their T&Cs for wishing to enter the Amex, or am I mistaken?

I meant the advice from HMG is advisory. Where I work all the new 'rules' for September are wear a mask 'if you are able'; social distance 'where possible' and stay at home 'if you think you may have Covid' etc. All completely ignorable, if you consider this appropriate.

At BHA the owners and CEO have some balls and have introduced some requirements.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here