Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Southern trains rant

Interesting thread and congrats to the railway guy on here for replying to the conspiracy theory level tripe. My 2 cents is the service has been one of the successes over the years of Falmer after early teething problems. The Covid era is presenting obvious challenges however to that and it makes sense to try other means of transport, if you can, to take pressure off an overstretched service. I’ve used buses and a bit more walking the last 2 games and have been pleasantly surprised that journey times similar ish. I’ll be back on trains when infection rates much lower and the non existent mask wearing is unimportant

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Absolutely shit today, no wonder infection rates are growing when they put on four cars and everybody is rammed pathetic service, I would go so far as saying that was the worst 3pm ko southern performance since the Amex opened

Last edited:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Totally agree with the post above, just clear Falmer station platform heading East and make people change at Lewes. Far too many people on the platform who should just move on further up the line.
The platform staff also need to ensure the carriages (all of them) are full before letting the train depart.
What happened to the train departures and arrival notifications that use to be in the concourse areas, use to be really helpful.

Been saying that from day one 10 years ago useless station staff and selfish fans.

However today I could understand when pathetic southern put on 4 car trains so people who did the right thing and waited at Lewes struggled to get on the train at Lewes because it was rammed already.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Been saying that from day one 10 years ago useless station staff and selfish fans.

However today I could understand when pathetic southern put on 4 car trains so people who did the right thing and waited at Lewes struggled to get on the train at Lewes because it was rammed already.

While I can understand what you are saying my point is stewards should ensure the platforms are cleared on the departure of each train. I presume the stewards click a certain number onto the platform but have no idea of actual numbers if passengers don't board the train leaving.
Oh well, next home game I'll have an extra post match pint and hope the queue has gone.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Left it late to get to to Lewes and greeted by enormous queue, but to be fair it went really quickly. train was busy but not rammed.
On way back, like others saw carriage at rear of train not even having doors opened and loads of empty seats (with tables !) - Maybe the fear is that you cant get out at Lewes on the last carriage?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Left it late to get to to Lewes and greeted by enormous queue, but to be fair it went really quickly. train was busy but not rammed.
On way back, like others saw carriage at rear of train not even having doors opened and loads of empty seats (with tables !) - Maybe the fear is that you cant get out at Lewes on the last carriage?

Maybe it's partly that folks understandably have trouble judging where the rear carriage of a train pulling in is going to be, and don't want to risk getting it wrong. A couple of prominent signs showing where the end of a 3/4/6 carriage train is going to be would help enormously. Either that or the station staff get a lot more proactive in trying to ensure the rear carriage(s) get filled up when the train arrives

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Today we had Southern at their absolute worst.
Trains from and to Eastbourne 4 coaches
Trains to and from Seaford 8 coaches
Are they mad?
Seaford trains half empty and Eastbourne trains rammed.

Also people not allowed on to platform at Falmer even though plenty of space on train
This must be sorted for future home games
I am also emailing the Club as they are supposed to be paying for this lack of service on our behalf

The train I got back to Brighton from falmer was packed , personally I feel they allow too many people on the concourse after games . No idea about trains the other way .

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
Don't understand it if it is a Covid staffing issue, if you have a driver and conductor, what the difference to driving an 8 coach to a 4 coach???

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So swinging the lead is only a problem for the railway industry? I never knew we were the only industry to throw sickies, or maybe its just a case that people don't care that much if others don't turn up for work.

I went on strike during that dispute 5 years ago, not a decision I took lightly but one I'd take again if it was something I believed in. For future reference that whole dispute nearly pushed me to suicide, day of the Charlton beam back I seriously considered chucking myself in front of a train but seeing a friend on the platform snapped me out of it. But go on, carry on making jokes because a group of people decided to fight for something they believed in.

Well, I'm obviously sorry to hear that and I hope your mental health has improved, but what about the mental health of the thousands of affected commuters? People who lost jobs, who took lower paid work to stop commuting, who were stuck in London night after night missing putting their kids to bed or cooking for their partner? The stress and anxiety of not knowing when or if you'll get home?

And you've gone from saying they've all genuinely got Covid to it being ok to swing the lead because everyone's at it in two posts.

Interesting thread and congrats to the railway guy on here for replying to the conspiracy theory level tripe. My 2 cents is the service has been one of the successes over the years of Falmer after early teething problems. The Covid era is presenting obvious challenges however to that and it makes sense to try other means of transport, if you can, to take pressure off an overstretched service. I’ve used buses and a bit more walking the last 2 games and have been pleasantly surprised that journey times similar ish. I’ll be back on trains when infection rates much lower and the non existent mask wearing is unimportant

"Conspiracy" :lolol:

No one's mentioned Soros or chemtrails. These people are bunking off to watch football or have a day at the beach knowing that being "Pinged" legally covers them. Yer man's admitted it above.

And well done for knowing what's going on when you're not using the service :thumbsup: . Are you psychic?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I guess it comes down to the naivety of those who are only occasional train users. Seasoned commuters know that when a major terminus snarls up, you just get on a train - any train! - that is going even partway down the line that you want, on the basis that the crowds will be more thinned out, the further down the line you can get. Why would anyone opt for remaining on a packed Falmer platform waiting for the 'right' train to come along instead of heading for the wide open spaces of Lewes station? Besides, if you're going to Eastbourne and you get a Seaford train as far as Lewes you might even get lucky and pick up a proper sized Eastbourne train that's just come from London

100% this.

The Eastbound setup post-match yesterday was hopeless, but clearing the platform and telling people wanting to go further to change at Lewes would largely solve the problem. People are stuck on the bridge in the queue because the platform is covered with Seaford people waiting for an Eastbourne train or vice-versa, then the ‘wrong’ train arrives and leaves half-empty. Couldn’t believe it when we got on a Lewes-only train around 6pm, it left Falmer almost empty.

9D9A3CE4-0256-49E8-B120-C91EC88C7D89.jpeg

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
As an aside, I saw the queue for the eastbound train so decided to take the 28 bus to Lewes. Only two other fans at the bus stop and the downstairs was completely empty . Maybe consider this is an alternative

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
As an aside, I saw the queue for the eastbound train so decided to take the 28 bus to Lewes. Only two other fans at the bus stop and the downstairs was completely empty . Maybe consider this is an alternative

Interesting.. can you say where you caught it from and what time this was ?

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Yep - from the stop across the road from Falmer Station - go under the subway and take the right hand footpath . I caught the 17.50 . Seems to be every 15 mins as well

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
In previous seasons I have caught the trains from London Road with little to no issue, and usually an 8 carriage (despite the fact that it’s too long for Moulsecoomb). Yesterday was only a four carriage and it was a rather interesting experience. Doesn’t help that people don’t move down the aisles properly and don’t use all the available space.

However, I do recognise that everything’s tricky at the moment and it was only a few minutes of being wedged between the door and a poor woman who clearly wasn’t going to the game and can’t have been more then 5 foot. Tried my best not to squash her honestly!

Well, I'm obviously sorry to hear that and I hope your mental health has improved, but what about the mental health of the thousands of affected commuters? People who lost jobs, who took lower paid work to stop commuting, who were stuck in London night after night missing putting their kids to bed or cooking for their partner? The stress and anxiety of not knowing when or if you'll get home?

And you've gone from saying they've all genuinely got Covid to it being ok to swing the lead because everyone's at it in two posts.

"Conspiracy" :lolol:

No one's mentioned Soros or chemtrails. These people are bunking off to watch football or have a day at the beach knowing that being "Pinged" legally covers them. Yer man's admitted it above.

And well done for knowing what's going on when you're not using the service :thumbsup: . Are you psychic?

Mr Terminally Online here would be wise when confronted with an eloquent account of what actually is happening locally from someone with expert inside knowledge to stop digging a hole with Daily Mail level ranting against essential service workers. But today is not that day it seems

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Coming in from the west they seemed to have stopped the shuttle service from Hove to Brighton, which basically halves the capacity for at least part of the journey.

Now this very well might be caused by a staffing problem but it was a Bank Holiday weekend and all the trains were going to be busy even if running a full service. We have a Stadium that was designed to be reached by large parts of the attendees using the train and at the moment the Covid measures in places at the stadium are basically being undermined by the journey there and back (admittedly [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] Cabs took me home yesterday).

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Coming in from the west they seemed to have stopped the shuttle service from Hove to Brighton, which basically halves the capacity for at least part of the journey.

Now this very well might be caused by a staffing problem but it was a Bank Holiday weekend and all the trains were going to be busy even if running a full service. We have a Stadium that was designed to be reached by large parts of the attendees using the train and at the moment the Covid measures in places at the stadium are basically being undermined by the journey there and back (admittedly [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] Cabs took me home yesterday).

I can’t say if this was the case yesterday, but believe new timetable starting tomorrow reduces the number of shuttle services

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I got on the bus heading down the Lewes Road around 6pm.
Loads of what I thought were foreign students on board.
Realised they were all scousers.
To be fair they let this one eyed OAP off the bus no problem.
:moo:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Mr Terminally Online here would be wise when confronted with an eloquent account of what actually is happening locally from someone with expert inside knowledge to stop digging a hole with Daily Mail level ranting against essential service workers. But today is not that day it seems

No, its the day you answer an allegation with non-facts in the most self-congratulatory way possible again. But then you always were an insufferable bore as most of NSC can testify.

Besides, he didn't give me an eloquent account of anything. In one post he claimed all his staff had covid and in the next he admitted they're swinging the lead.

Which is it?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here