Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So after all the threads, the should RDZ have gone ? Poll

Was TB right to let RDZ go

• Total voters

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
If people are going to start ONE MILLION threads to go over the same ground, then I am just going to cut and paste the same thing into every one of them:

There is no possibility they could ever have 'sorted this out'.

The club has a recruitment process, and a wage structure that best serves the club's mid-long term security and success. Any head coach in position, is bound by those structures.

If De Zerbi walked into his showdown meeting and (as seems apparent) said "I would like to stay - on condition that you change this, this and this", then he might as well not have turned up. They would never have budged - and rightly so.

Why would you change your long-held, very successful processes, to appease the ego of a peripatetic manager, who would have grizzled for yet more players when his next personal picks flopped, and then f***ed off anyway as soon as a 'beeg' club came in for him.
I’ve a better idea…. Amalgamate all the threads ..oh and before they get to one million…PLEASE

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Obviously there were a few, maybe many, factors that contributed to the separation but a very reliable source tells me that his insider friend mentioned an impasse on what to do with Denis Undav. R de Z wanted a sale but Uncle Tony , armed with his 'statistics machine data', wants him back in the Amex fold for next season. So I assume if you could ask one question of all the potential new manager applicants it would be 'are you going to bring Denis under back to the Albion next season?' If they answer 'no', then they are not getting the job.

TNBA

TTF
This doesn’t make sense given the club inserted a purchase clause in the loan contract.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Mid season like Potter did? No chance
Naive, if United had sacked Ten Haag in January and come in for RDZ as an immediate replacement I am pretty sure he would have gone. Why have a release clause if you can’t go if something better turns up?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
The time is right. RDZ didn't cope well with situation where things weren't going well. The next manager has to be a bit more level headed.
You have voiced what I've been thinking. Plan A didn't always work (and towards the end, it didn't work more than it worked), and Plan B, if it existed, didn't work either.

Note that one former manager did cope when things weren't going well. Potter.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
This is why the Potter Out polls that came without a 'fence' option did my Swede in. Because, in truth it's a decision that's been likely based on lots of soft factors, including, almost certainly 'the future'.

I'll miss RDZ. A lot. He spoke to me as a football fan. I feel I got him and he got us. Our corporate PLC will never do that for me. But, all of that said, if TB felt it was the right thing to do for the club, then it's the right thing to do for the club, end of discussion.

And it was mutual let's not forget. The thread title is doing a lot of assumption and heavy lifting. While there are many BHA fans who think they know what happened, in reality there are very few people who do / will.

So I will save my powder and if we appoint either Potter or Kompany then I'll vote 'no'.
Genuinely don't get where all this Potter is coming back baloney is coming from. It will never happen, not least because the drop-off in salary compared to what he might get elsewhere won't appeal. Personally, I think he's waiting for the England job after the Euros.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
We’ll have no idea what was said in those conversations between Tony & RDZ. For all we know RDZ could said “it’s likely I’ll take a job offer from Bayern/United/Juve if it comes in” or “we need to spend £100m plus on players to keep me happy”…. in which case Tony is absolutely right to prioritise the clubs financial safety over a manager, and is also right to pull the trigger now rather than let things drag out and leave us in a bad situation when RDZ eventually walks later in the summer or mid season.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Genuinely don't get where all this Potter is coming back baloney is coming from. It will never happen, not least because the drop-off in salary compared to what he might get elsewhere won't appeal. Personally, I think he's waiting for the England job after the Euros.
The drop off in salary shouldn't be an issue with the sort of money he'd be getting anyway. The fact is that he was a good fit at Brighton, and not a good fit at Chelsea. As for the England job, no - he is the sort of coach that likes to work with the players on a daily basis, drill them into his system, etc.

Is he/will he be coming back? Haven't a clue!

Last edited:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
If people are going to start ONE MILLION threads to go over the same ground, then I am just going to cut and paste the same thing into every one of them:

The club has a recruitment process, and a wage structure that best serves the club's mid-long term security and success. Any head coach in position, is bound by those structures.

If De Zerbi walked into his showdown meeting and (as seems apparent) said "I would like to stay - on condition that you change this, this and this", then he might as well not have turned up. They would never have budged - and rightly so.

Why would you change your long-held, very successful processes, to appease the ego of a peripatetic manager, who would have grizzled for yet more players when his next personal picks flopped, and then f***ed off anyway as soon as a 'beeg' club came in for him.

Spot on!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
He's available, still lives here and is regularly in contact with the club by all accounts. Unlikely to rock the boat, knows many of the players.

I'm not making a case for it, btw, I think the atmosphere would be toxic and many of our fans still resent him. But I very much doubt that the club are going to appoint another excitable Latino.

History shows this. After Poyet we went for the calming influences of Oscar and Hughton and the 'yes man' of Hyypia. TBF to the club I imagine De Zerbi was absolutely exhausting to deal with - if so the pivot might be necessary for many in the back room.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
We've just lost the best Manager in our history. I'm gutted. Roberto obviously felt there was a need for more investment on the recruitment side. Seems Tony Bloom has done his sums and feels the club cannot do that on the current budget with the income of the club. Should Tony Bloom be looking for investment from outside to help the club grow so we can move away from becoming a selling club.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
ANY manager would take a better paid offer from a huge club. That's where we are in the food chain. The point is, just because you're a dull introvert yes man, that fact doesn't change.

However, at worse RDZ would have gone at the end of the season, which is where we are anyway. Potter f**ked off mid season and took everyone from Bruno to the recruitment staff with.
"At worse" RdZ hangs about until just before the season starts and then f***s off (or stays, having said he'd toe the line, but his heart's not in it and it shows just like the last few months).

It's pretty clear to me that having maximum time to recruit and settle a new coach if he needed to is why TB confronted the issue now.
Uncertainty in a key period for player retention, selling and recruitment could put the kibosh on the whole season.

IMO it's Impressive, front foot management / leadership once again. Letting the manager dictate the timing of his departure is not in the best interests of the club.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He's available, still lives here and is regularly in contact with the club by all accounts. Unlikely to rock the boat, knows many of the players.

I'm not making a case for it, btw, I think the atmosphere would be toxic and many of our fans still resent him. But I very much doubt that the club are going to appoint another excitable Latino.

History shows this. After Poyet we went for the calming influences of Oscar and Hughton and the 'yes man' of Hyypia. TBF to the club I imagine De Zerbi was absolutely exhausting to deal with - if so the pivot might be necessary for many in the back room.
Cross Francesco Farioli off the short list then.

Songs would fit well though…
We’ve got super Frank Farioli
He knows exactly what we need

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We've just lost the best Manager in our history. I'm gutted. Roberto obviously felt there was a need for more investment on the recruitment side. Seems Tony Bloom has done his sums and feels the club cannot do that on the current budget with the income of the club. Should Tony Bloom be looking for investment from outside to help the club grow so we can move away from becoming a selling club.
Very few clubs aren’t selling clubs.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008

Absolutely this. Nothing more needs to be said.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
"At worse" RdZ hangs about until just before the season starts and then f***s off (or stays, having said he'd toe the line, but his heart's not in it and it shows just like the last few months).

It's pretty clear to me that having maximum time to recruit and settle a new coach if he needed to is why TB confronted the issue now.
Uncertainty in a key period for player retention, selling and recruitment could put the kibosh on the whole season.

IMO it's Impressive, front foot management / leadership once again. Letting the manager dictate the timing of his departure is not in the best interests of the club.
Absolutely. But actually there was a WORSE (and not at all unfeasible) potential time of departure. At the end of the transfer window, three games into the start of the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here