Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Should it have been a penalty?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Clear offside.

The rest is completely irrelevant.

Whilst Sanchez got away with handling outside the box.
Agree with the offside.

I saw a slow-mo of the Sanchez incident and it looked like he had stopped handing before the “curve of the ball” had crossed the line. I loved that move as well; he was so cool and calm when doing it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I know they checked for offside and that was given (and I'm not gong to disagree that he was offside) and that was the reason for the penalty being overturned (I haven't seen a replay yet so don't know whether it was a dive). My question is whether it is within their remit to check if a player is offside in those circumstances? According to the remit from the EPL website surely they can only look to see if it was a foul or not, not if there was an infringement in the build up.

At the end of the day it didn't matter but consistency in referring could be important. We saw how Mwepu was deemed to have been offside when Mac Alister hit his thunderbolt against Leicester even though Mwepu made no contact with the ball yet today, Man Utd scored a goal when Rashford was clearly offside and involved with the attack although he didn't touch the ball.
I really struggle to understand how that goal was given. How was he not involved in play?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Clear offside.

The rest is completely irrelevant.

Whilst Sanchez got away with handling outside the box.
If Sanchez handled outside the box, it was marginal. I thought he did very well to “drop” it.

and the penalty was clearly offside, and I’m not sure there was contact. Would have been extremely harsh if given.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I really struggle to understand how that goal was given. How was he not involved in play?
if the laws of the game were correctly interpreted, as they were discussing on MOTD last night, then the law is an ass. Rashford clearly was affecting the decisions of defenders and goalkeeper. It was ridiculous.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Agree with the offside.

I saw a slow-mo of the Sanchez incident and it looked like he had stopped handing before the “curve of the ball” had crossed the line. I loved that move as well; he was so cool and calm when doing it.
Yes, watching the full 90 mins on Sky last night, they showed it in slow-mo, and he let go in time.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Am I right in thinking that the Sanchez handball incident couldn’t be checked by VAR?

It would have been accidental if he had slid out of the area with the ball still in his hands, so a yellow card and a free kick.

It’s not a red card offence, not offside or a penalty and no goal was scored so that incident doesn’t actually fall under the remit of the VAR.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It was clearly offside and not a foul.

But other than that, stonewall.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
In WSU between halfway and the incident and he clearly looked offside to me and everyone else unclear why it took longer than 5 secs to decide.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Slightly off topic ..bit concerned about the eyesight of the Lino running the East Stand line …March was having his shirt pulled right in front of him by Doak yet nothing given ..I thought the idea was to swap shirts after the game

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Am I right in thinking that the Sanchez handball incident couldn’t be checked by VAR?

It would have been accidental if he had slid out of the area with the ball still in his hands, so a yellow card and a free kick.

It’s not a red card offence, not offside or a penalty and no goal was scored so that incident doesn’t actually fall under the remit of the VAR.
Correct….

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
It was clearly offside and not a foul.

But other than that, stonewall.
Absolutely. For me, the odd thing is that Alisson didn’t appeal against the penalty.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
It was offside albeit very close. And largely irrelevant as VAR would have looked at the penalty and indicated no foul.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

Correct….
Exactly the sort of thing that VAR shouldn't be checking.
I suppose we should give some credit when it actually makes sense.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Absolutely. For me, the odd thing is that Alisson didn’t appeal against the penalty.
He possibly wouldn't have known how the contact happened in the moment, neither of them would have, but March trod on his wrist rather than Alisson hitting his legs to cause a fall.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here