[Drinking] Shane Duffy - Charged with DUI

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
On the week of a play off against Leeds as well. Idiot.

Obviously has some challenges with alcohol which I hope he can get help with.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
That's probably about 6-8 pints depending on the time he stopped drinking and started driving. No excuse.
More I reckon. Somewhere around 2 pints seems to be the limit, so presumably by the time you've had number 4 the first 1 has worn off. I reckon it's more like 8-10. Or he's absolutely smashed 6 pints in an hour or so.

Either way, what a f***ing idiot.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I recall him tweeting (as it was called back then) a tribute to Martin McGuinness when he died "A true statesman" :facepalm:

The same Martin McGuinness, ex IRA brigade commander, who was almost certainly party to the plan to blow up the Grand Hotel in 1984, in Brighton of all places, whose football team were paying Duffy's wages at the time.

I would imagine he's not blessed with a plethora of GCSE's (or the Irish equivalent)

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
No excuses for drink driving in the modern age, hopefully he gets the book thrown at him (although he'd probably just head it away)

Even more so if you are/were a reasonably successful footballer. He should easily have the resources to afford other options, like a taxi, or pay a mate to stay sober and drive your car home .

Reactions: A1X

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
More I reckon. Somewhere around 2 pints seems to be the limit, so presumably by the time you've had number 4 the first 1 has worn off. I reckon it's more like 8-10. Or he's absolutely smashed 6 pints in an hour or so.

Either way, what a f***ing idiot.

I think you are probably right on the 8-10. I once saw someone - and he was and probably still is a massive pisshead - bet on a stag do that they couldn't do 6 pints of Snake bite in a hour. He threw up on the 6th. In fairness, I could see Shane attempting either method.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I Never understand this drink driving bollox, especially after collecting nearly £15million from us, Fulham and Norwich ever since leaving Blackburn.
Why the feck why, if you know your going to get bladdered book a cab, or leave your car somewhere if it is an impromptu pissup and still get a cab.
even if you need a cab back the next day, worse case car gets stolen, that is what insurance is for.

Crazy, no excuse...

Book.
Throw.
Jail

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I Never understand this drink driving bollox, especially after collecting nearly £15million from us, Fulham and Norwich ever since leaving Blackburn.
Why the feck why, if you know your going to get bladdered book a cab, or leave your car somewhere if it is an impromptu pissup and still get a cab.
even if you need a cab back the next day, worse case car gets stolen, that is what insurance is for.

Crazy, no excuse...

Book.
Throw.
Jail
I’d take it back a level and question why just before the playoffs he’s in a pub full stop.

I’m surprised Molly Malones in West Street is still going since he left town

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Could & should Norwich terminate his contract?!
Like others have said, he could have injured or killed someone.
They should and I'm sure they will. Good mate of mine is a Norwich fan and from his stories they seem to do things the "right way" - they ditched a shirt sponsor after they didn't remove provocative "adult" social media ads for example. Gave them 3 days and then binned them off when they didn't act quick enough - can't imagine a lot of clubs doing that. Lotus stepped in as their sponsor as the factory is nearby. I think all the food served in the club (maybe not to fans, but to players etc) is sourced from local farms too to ensure the local community benefits from having the club nearby.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
On the week of a play off against Leeds as well. Idiot.

Obviously has some challenges with alcohol which I hope he can get help with.
Does he have challenges though? Maybe he just likes a session like millions of others? It’s like when the famous get caught with social drugs, they bleat about the pressures of fame etc etc and check into a rehab clinic. Really? Or do you just like a line like seemingly most of the UK does but it’s better PR?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Does he have challenges though? Maybe he just likes a session like millions of others? It’s like when the famous get caught with social drugs, they bleat about the pressures of fame etc etc and check into a rehab clinic. Really? Or do you just like a line like seemingly most of the UK does but it’s better PR?
Depends - if you have the biggest game of your season in 3 or 4 days then drinking 8-10 pints and drink driving either indicates you’re an absolute moron, or have some kind of problem.

Why not wait 2 weeks at most until after the play offs and be in tip top condition? Especially given the drinking school stories down here

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Depends - if you have the biggest game of your season in 3 or 4 days then drinking 8-10 pints and drink driving either indicates you’re an absolute moron, or have some kind of problem.

Why not wait 2 weeks at most until after the play offs and be in tip top condition? Especially given the drinking school stories down here
Moron, a problem, maybe just arrogant? I have no doubt there will be some sort of sob story in his defense though.

I agree it would make sense to wait, but sense and Duffy are not two words you use together often.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Moron, a problem, maybe just arrogant? I have no doubt there will be some sort of sob story in his defense though.

I agree it would make sense to wait, but sense and Duffy are not two words you use together often.
Oh, he is nailed on that guy in twenty five years in the corner of the pub with yellow fingers and teeth nursing a pint of stout, telling anyone who will listen they once banged a supermodel and played for the current European Champions League winners Brighton & Hove Albion way back when.............

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I recall him tweeting (as it was called back then) a tribute to Martin McGuinness when he died "A true statesman" :facepalm:

The same Martin McGuinness, ex IRA brigade commander, who was almost certainly party to the plan to blow up the Grand Hotel in 1984, in Brighton of all places, whose football team were paying Duffy's wages at the time.

I would imagine he's not blessed with a plethora of GCSE's (or the Irish equivalent)
That's the same Martin McGuiness who was one of the architects of the good Friday agreement that finally brought a decent measure of peace.
I think it's fine for anybody to faintly praise that on his death and particularly understandable for an Irishman.
Bringing that as a criticism into a thread about drink driving is just diminishing how bad drink driving is.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Totally

Have a look at the general response to McGuinness' death. You'd have to ban half of Ireland from being involved in the Albion if you don't want people saying positive things about him on his death.

Totally irrelevant to him drink driving.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That's the same Martin McGuiness who was one of the architects of the good Friday agreement that finally brought a decent measure of peace.
I think it's fine for anybody to faintly praise that on his death and particularly understandable for an Irishman.
Bringing that as a criticism into a thread about drink driving is just diminishing how bad drink driving is.
Agree.

(And to make the reference even more silly, McGuinness ended up on extremely good terms with Ian 'The Pope Is an Abomination' Paisley via working together in the Irish assembly.)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Does this mean that our 'No Dickhead' policy can be a little .................. err, shall we say flexible? - when it suits us!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports