[Albion] Sarmiento

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
One of those that seems an odd one, as he looked terrific for us at the tail end of last season

There seems to be a bit of the Mandela Effect when it comes to Sarmiento’s contribution at the end of last season.

He missed the last 13 games injured after breaking a metatarsal while on international duty. Before that he’d only started 1 game in 11, he got 1 assist (against Bournemouth) coming off the bench. He looked lively but his game time was still very limited.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
This.

The problem with Sarmiento is we have other with the same profile. If we was left footed, an orthodox winger, had extreme pace or a brilliant goal scoring record, I think he’d get the nod.
I just think that for so many matches this season, we've had to fill in that left wing position with a player blatantly out of position. Milner has been out there Pedro there (who ok would look ok anywhere, but, it's meant he's not been in the middle where he gets his goals). Lamptey has had a go there. Barco in recent weeks, who again, very promising, but i'm not sure he's going to unlock a PL defence. We've had Facu out wide on the right, pushing Adingra out on the left, again i'm not a fan of this. We've had Fati there for a time, who has done very very little for us

To me, Jeremy would be above all of those options at left wing. I think had we not loaned him, he'd have made about 20 to 25 apps. Easily enough to justify keeping him here.

But I think and this is a guess, there's something behind the scenes going on, which is why we won't see him back here.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
There seems to be a bit of the Mandela Effect when it comes to Sarmiento’s contribution at the end of last season.

He missed the last 13 games injured after breaking a metatarsal while on international duty. Before that he’d only started 1 game in 11, he got 1 assist (against Bournemouth) coming off the bench. He looked lively but his game time was still very limited.
Just from memory, didn't he get at least 1 assist at Everton?

I also rate Mandela FWIW

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Just from memory, didn't he get at least 1 assist at Everton?

I also rate Mandela FWIW

He doesn’t appear to have been credited with an assist officially in the Everton game. Although I’m sure he made the final pass to Ferguson for his goal to make it 2-0, don’t know why it’s not down as an official assist.

Jimmy Grimble

De Zerbi confirmed at the end of last season: “Jeremy Sarmiento will go on loan, it’s our current plan. We talked with him and we agreed that after his last injury he needs to have a minimum of 35 games before coming back with us.”

He’s played 1470 minutes of football between his two loan spells this season, with only one full 90 minutes in that time. On average, he’s played about 34 minutes per the 43 games he’s been involved in.

He’s undeniably made a contribution to Ipswich’s success, but I imagine the club would have liked him to have got more time on the pitch than that.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I'd much rather personally we kept Sarmiento as the bench option for next season and let Buonanotte go on loan to play a full season somewhere and really toughen up and be an established first team player for 25/26, with us maybe moving on Sarmiento in summer 2025 if the club don't see any value in keeping him

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I'd much rather personally we kept Sarmiento as the bench option for next season and let Buonanotte go on loan to play a full season somewhere and really toughen up and be an established first team player for 25/26, with us maybe moving on Sarmiento in summer 2025 if the club don't see any value in keeping him
I'd go that way as well.

Facu I think will do well. He's had quite a bit of football this season and has improved, but still struggles to make an impact on a lot of the matches he plays in. I think he's a season and a bit away from being a proper top level performer. I think Jeremy is ahead of him, but I accept the points made about his fitness struggles

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I just think that for so many matches this season, we've had to fill in that left wing position with a player blatantly out of position. Milner has been out there Pedro there (who ok would look ok anywhere, but, it's meant he's not been in the middle where he gets his goals). Lamptey has had a go there. Barco in recent weeks, who again, very promising, but i'm not sure he's going to unlock a PL defence. We've had Facu out wide on the right, pushing Adingra out on the left, again i'm not a fan of this. We've had Fati there for a time, who has done very very little for us

To me, Jeremy would be above all of those options at left wing. I think had we not loaned him, he'd have made about 20 to 25 apps. Easily enough to justify keeping him here.

But I think and this is a guess, there's something behind the scenes going on, which is why we won't see him back here.
I just don’t think we have an issue at LW. It’s Adingra and Osman’s preferred position. For next season we could have these options:
Mitoma
Adingra
Osman
Barco
Enciso
Pedro

That’s with Milner, Fati and perhaps Lamptey moving on.

RDZ plays inverted wingers when he can. The issue as far as I’m concerned is RW. March is head and shoulders above everyone else there (with perhaps the exception of Adingra). This is where I believe we need to strengthen with a natural left footer such as McAtee (Citeh U21) or Hutchinson (Chelsea U21).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It was originally from a credible source - but I am not going to waste time researching. Perhaps The Athletic/Naylor, the Argus or even the original news of the loan on the club site.
At least we now know what is genuinely a fact - and the fact is the rumour does exist!

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
I just don’t think we have an issue at LW. It’s Adingra and Osman’s preferred position. For next season we could have these options:
Mitoma
Adingra
Osman
Barco
Enciso
Pedro

That’s with Milner, Fati and perhaps Lamptey moving on.

RDZ plays inverted wingers when he can. The issue as far as I’m concerned is RW. March is head and shoulders above everyone else there (with perhaps the exception of Adingra). This is where I believe we need to strengthen with a natural left footer such as McAtee (Citeh U21) or Hutchinson (Chelsea U21).
Fati is not our player so he will go back to Barcelona

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Spooky.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports