Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
That's why the UKs primary deterrent is sub based not land based, a strike on the UK would still result in retaliation even if our island was wiped out. Not great for us I grant you but also not great for most of western Russia.
You’re missing my point. Obviously we’d be able to retaliate. The point is, the UK as a country, would be obliterated.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
IMG_9491.jpeg

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Last edited:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Not so sure any of that is true at all.

There were two quite plausible explanations put by Radio 5 callers earlier, suggesting Putin comes out of this stronger.

1. Increasingly rogue Wagner group tamed. Prighozin exiled to Belarus whilst a large chunk of his forces are absorbed into the Russian army.

2. It's a joint move by Putin and Prighozin. Wagner group forces and Prighozin rest up in Belarus for a bit, 70 miles from Kyiv, ready to launch an attack on Ukraine.

I haven't been following events in Ukraine close enough to know if point 2 is a possibility or not.

I'm pretty sure though that nothing is likely quite what it seems when it comes to today's events in Russia.

I'm also pretty sure that we'll hear plenty of explanations that suit a Western agenda.
I’ve not heard or read anything that indicates Putin’s position is anything but weakened by this - but I agree it’s difficult to predict how this will play out. Russia often acts in a way that we in the west regard as unconventional.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Not by us alone it wouldn’t.
We're not alone though are we, we are NATO and under art 5, so in this theoretical situation, which I don't believe will actually happen at all, it would immediately trigger France and US to respond in kind.

And you wouldnt need to destroy every living Russian as retaliation, Moscow, St petersburg and all military installations would suffice.

If you look at what just happened. A few k mercenaries marched on Moscow and for all the bluff and bluster, Putin ran and hid.

He's not ready to die, I think he's terrified of dying. He acts ruthlessly using full power of state against unarmed or weaker opponents. He runs away against stronger opposition.

Plus there still are operational protocols to launch nukes, not just Putin and a button.

Nuclear attack whilst not impossible, is not likely imho, its an age old Soviet/ Russian bluff to try and get others to self deter.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Probing and pushing back where they can 👍.
Ukrainian forces reportedly advance north, south of Bakhmut.

As part of their larger counteroffensive, Ukraine's forces have "gained impetus" in attacks around Bakhmut, advancing on the city's northern and southern flanks, the U.K. Defense Ministry reported on June 26.

Ukraine's Deputy Defense Minister Hanna Maliar also reported successes near Bakhmut. Over the weekend, Ukrainian troops have advanced one to two kilometers in the areas of Orikhovo-Vasylivka, Bakhmut, Bohdanivka, Yahidne, Klishchiivka, and Kurdiumivka, according to Maliar

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
We're not alone though are we, we are NATO and under art 5, so in this theoretical situation, which I don't believe will actually happen at all, it would immediately trigger France and US to respond in kind.

And you wouldnt need to destroy every living Russian as retaliation, Moscow, St petersburg and all military installations would suffice.

If you look at what just happened. A few k mercenaries marched on Moscow and for all the bluff and bluster, Putin ran and hid.

He's not ready to die, I think he's terrified of dying. He acts ruthlessly using full power of state against unarmed or weaker opponents. He runs away against stronger opposition.

Plus there still are operational protocols to launch nukes, not just Putin and a button.

Nuclear attack whilst not impossible, is not likely imho, its an age old Soviet/ Russian bluff to try and get others to self deter.
:facepalm:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Sarcastic obaervation taken from a translated Russian telegram group.

“Yesterday the defenders of Russia decided to seize power in Russia.
Therefore, other defenders of Russia flew to kill the first defenders of Russia, but they themselves got killed.

And the Hero of Russia Prigozhin went to kill the Hero of Russia Shoigu.
Because of this, the Hero of Russia Kadyrov went to kill the Hero of Russia Prigozhin.

And because of this, the Hero of Russia Bortnikov opened a case against the Hero of Russia Prigozhin but immediately closed it, then said, it isnt closed after all.

Because the most important hero of Russia, Putin, first guaranteed that the heroes would be punished as traitors, and then guaranteed that they would not be, before reneging and saying they would be after all.

And no one gives a damn about those very first defenders who were killed. Neither hero nor traitor.

The main thing is that they are all defenders and heroes, and we can continue to be proud of what heroic defenders mother Russia has.“

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here