Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Wow. This is escalating.

Shoigu also has his own private army ( outside the Russian military ) so civil war seems very much on the cards.
Even if Wagner doesn’t fulfil its aims of getting rid of Shoigu, it’s effectively 25,000 troops marching in the wrong direction as far as Russia is concerned - which would leave a lovely gap in the lines if someone were to say, oh I don’t know, be in the middle of a counter-offensive.

If this is all smoke and mirrors then it’ll be one hell of a feint.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Wow. This is escalating.

Shoigu also has his own private army ( outside the Russian military ) so civil war seems very much on the cards.
My step-son says Gazprom (as one example) have their own private army to protect their facilities.

Haven't seen Lavrov for a while...he's probably ensuring his private army has enough ammo and is stationed close by.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I'm wondering what role the Ukrainians have played in all this.

I suspect they've been up to some very clever psychological stuff.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Whilst it's a good popcorn moment, it's interesting Prigozhin isn't going after Putin, just the heads of the military. Is it worth hoping Prigozhin loses after a long and very bloody campaign, so that the general Russian Army incompetence and corruption carries on as before?

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
This is obviously bad news for Putin. But, doesn't Wagner rely on the Russian MoD for arms?
I imagine they’ll be ‘acquiring’ weapons along the way, probably also gaining a fair few disillusioned sympathisers as they go.

That’s allegedly what started the fallout in the first place, Wagner kept complaining they weren’t being given enough ammo and weapons so they just helped themselves from the regular Russian army supplies.

Either way, it’s win/win for Ukraine - and the popcorn will be flowing in my house.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
IMG_6806.jpeg

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
This is obviously bad news for Putin. But, doesn't Wagner rely on the Russian MoD for arms?
Which will no longer be forthcoming.

So Wagner, if it is going to Moscow, will have to go with what it has, which is significant according to my understanding, but with no air cover, they will be reliant on the power structures in the Kremlin collapsing.

Ukraine, need to just play this out in my view. Just let them go at each other and not do anything which reminds them who they are really there to fight

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Things are getting interesting...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
for the culture (doh, fixture'd)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
The thought of civil war in Russia is frightening - yes it plays into the hands of Ukraine ( which is welcome) but who will control their nuclear armaments?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here