Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
They were never a realistic option.
Yep. The tactic is pretty clear, ask for the world, get refused that but be given the stuff you actually need now.

So asking for UK jets will likely be rejected to avoid escalation, but as a compromise they can get hold of MiGs from other NATO members with the likes of the UK and US backfilling those to the likes of Poland etc. These would be more useful as the Ukranians will be familiar with the equipment so can get it into the fray quicker.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Chopsy Medvedev

"Push back Poland's border"
Hmmm?
Yes, Medvedev continues to be very hawkish. One (ex) Russian commentator suggested Putin might give Medvedev full power and responsibility for the invasion: Medvedev either then wins something (and possibly becomes president in 2024 with Putin's backing)., or if Russia loses then Putin can appear distanced from that defeat.
If they entered NATO territory (eg Poland) that would be a very stupid move from Ruzzia ...and therefore not impossible.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Yes, Medvedev continues to be very hawkish. One (ex) Russian commentator suggested Putin might give Medvedev full power and responsibility for the invasion: Medvedev either then wins something (and possibly becomes president in 2024 with Putin's backing)., or if Russia loses then Putin can appear distanced from that defeat.
If they entered NATO territory (eg Poland) that would be a very stupid move from Ruzzia ...and therefore not impossible.
If Russia enters NATO territory I think it would very soon find itself back out of NATO territory given the absolute state of their efforts in Ukraine. The Ukranians are obviously an extremely good and organised military, but not a patch on the combined efforts of NATO. I'd give them an hour, tops, before they're back licking their wounds on their own side of the border.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
  • China’s call for peace talks between Ukraine and Russia “doesn’t have much credibility” the secretary-general of Nato Jens Stoltenberg has said, as he warned China against supplying arms to the Kremlin war machine. Stoltenberg told reporters “China doesn’t have much credibility because they have not been able to condemn the illegal invasion of Ukraine and they also signed just days before the invasion an agreement between President Xi and President Putin on a limitless partnership with Russia.”

Stoltenberg's messaging is consistent and strong.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
If Russia enters NATO territory I think it would very soon find itself back out of NATO territory given the absolute state of their efforts in Ukraine. The Ukranians are obviously an extremely good and organised military, but not a patch on the combined efforts of NATO. I'd give them an hour, tops, before they're back licking their wounds on their own side of the border.
Yep, that sounds about right.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
If anyone in any doubt about where China now stands this data is more powerful than their pretty speeches about peace;

China's independent refiners set to embrace wide variety of #Russian crude grades

🔹Five cargoes of Russian Arctic sweet #crude grades to arrive in February
🔹Refiners find Varandey crude specifications similar to ESPO
🔹Growing inquiries for more Urals crude pushing out #Iranian barrels

Source is S & P Global Commodity Insights.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Perhaps someone should tell him they would have to go through the Ukraine to get to Poland?

Which to say the least, seems unlikely at present...

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
You speak as if there are battalions of soldiers with equipment wandering around in NATO uniforms or something. Aside from small UN peacekeeping forces, NATO is an on-paper alliance which thankfully has not ever been properly tested.

If, for example, Russia were to encroach on Poland, it will be the Polish army responding. In the coming days and weeks, NATO will deliberate what to do - almost certainly attempt de-escalation.

Whilst Russia have so far been pretty incompetent from everything I’ve seen and read, we’ve never really seen how NATO works when article 5 is actioned.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
Putin or Medvedev not sure who is the bigger cvnt

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
You speak as if there are battalions of soldiers with equipment wandering around in NATO uniforms or something. Aside from small UN peacekeeping forces, NATO is an on-paper alliance which thankfully has not ever been properly tested.

If, for example, Russia were to encroach on Poland, it will be the Polish army responding. In the coming days and weeks, NATO will deliberate what to do - almost certainly attempt de-escalation.

Whilst Russia have so far been pretty incompetent from everything I’ve seen and read, we’ve never really seen how NATO works when article 5 is actioned.
Exactly this👍. It's not inconceivable that Russia/Belarus contrive a false flag operation on the Polish border just to check what might happen.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

Doesn't the US have an air force base in Poland?

I'm sure they would quickly deploy thier F22s should the Russians be foolish enough to test them.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Exactly this👍. It's not inconceivable that Russia/Belarus contrive a false flag operation on the Polish border just to check what might happen.
Or to 'give Belarus no choice' but to join in alongside Russia.

This report of a week ago, seemed to come right out of the blue, and right out of the Soviet playbook.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Doesn't the US have an air force base in Poland?

I'm sure they would quickly deploy thier F22s should the Russians be foolish enough to test them.
Very unlikely to do this on another country’s soil without explicit permission and without article 5 being applied then presidential approval. So no, doubt it, unless under direct attack.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Or to 'give Belarus no choice' but to join in alongside Russia.

This report of a week ago, seemed to come right out of the blue, and right out of the Soviet playbook.

Yes, that sounded to me like setting the backdrop for a potential false flag.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here