Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Well no one would say it like that. They are Ukrainians, born to Ukrainians (since their parents are also Ukrainians). Instead, you could just say they are Ukrainians with Russian ancestors. Not that clumsy.

No, that would be incorrect. A 3rd generation Italian would be someone born in Italy, to Italian parents, but with grandparents who were immigrants.
I would say they are third generation Russian immigrant, or third generation Russian Ukrainian, or Ukrainian of Russian heritage. I don't think anyone other than you would say a person whose grandparents came from another country, were third generation Italian?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
A very reasonable and confortable definition, which sadly diesn't apply to some people - third generation born and raised in England - when their great grandparents' country is playing England at Lords or the Oval. A cataclysmic failure of multi-culturalism as an alernative to integration and inclusivity.

:(
I know families that have lived in Crawley for 3 generations, but the kids still support Newcastle United, or Leeds, like their Grandads do.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I would say they are third generation Russian immigrant, or third generation Russian Ukrainian, or Ukrainian of Russian heritage.
The latter two sound ok, the first sounds offensive. I don't think an American would appreciate being called an immigrant when even their parents were American born.

I don't think anyone other than you would say a person whose grandparents came from another country, were third generation Italian?
I think it's quite common in America for people to say they're x generation American, meaning their ancestors are not from America. Bear in mind that we're discussing the English language here, so you're not going to hear English phrases in countries that don't speak English.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Well no one would say it like that. They are Ukrainians, born to Ukrainians (since their parents are also Ukrainians). Instead, you could just say they are Ukrainians with Russian ancestors. Not that clumsy.

No, that would be incorrect. A 3rd generation Italian would be someone born in Italy, to Italian parents, but with grandparents who were immigrants.
dont know why you're getting this wrong. you describe someone who is simply Italian.

Last edited:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

But by saying - they are Ukrainians with Russian ancestors - sort of misses the point. Plenty of people have viking ancestry if you go back a 1000 years.... The point I made was that that there are many Ukrainians who were born in Russia, and a lot more whose parents or grandparents originated there i.e. very recent ties.

Anyway this debate is missing the main point that while most Ukrainians want to stay as an independent state and they are mainly the younger ones there was a large % (10-20%) who were not happy with the moves towards the west. These are mainly older ones , especially those left behind by change are either indifferent to government or actively voted for parties that wanted to maintain very close links with Russia. Many of those lived in the USSR for much of their life. There were/are also extremists who wanted to join Russia, and they are mainly in the east.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
‘Our’ Ukrainian refugee said her unlucky mates in the occupied territories are having to pretend to be pleased that they’ve been forcibly handed Russian passports, they sing the Russian national anthem with a fake smile.

They want to live. Those who don’t have their cars and furniture stolen, get beaten to a pulp and worse. Female children and women of literally any age are raped. The hidden psyche of potential barbarians simply doesn’t leave some cultures, no matter the century. This is 1941-1945 all over again (Nazis and Soviets committing atrocities) or the Balkans 1990’s.

They’re predicting a scorched earth policy by Putin when he loses. Cities systematically destroyed, prime agricultural soil poisoned. They’re dealing with an evil piece of shit.

On a positive, she listed the following friendly nations as incredible. Singling them out because they acted on day 1 with tangible help, she felt Kyiv and more would’ve been lost without them:

Canada
USA
UK
Estonia
Latvia
Lithuania
It's genuinely horrifying that in 2023 Russuans can invade and treat civilians in such a disgusting way. The UN and the International Courts should hang their heads in shame that there is no concerted method of stopping them. Russia just ignores conventions on civilians and armed forces and indeed The Geneva Conventions themselves....those poor people in Eastern Ukraine.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But by saying - they are Ukrainians with Russian ancestors - sort of misses the point. Plenty of people have viking ancestry if you go back a 1000 years
I'm not making the rules.

The point I made was that that there are many Ukrainians who were born in Russia, and a lot more whose parents or grandparents originated there i.e. very recent ties.
Understood.

Anyway this debate is missing the main point that while most Ukrainians want to stay as an independent state and they are mainly the younger ones there was a large % (10-20%) who were not happy with the moves towards the west. These are mainly older ones , especially those left behind by change are either indifferent to government or actively voted for parties that wanted to maintain very close links with Russia. Many of those lived in the USSR for much of their life. There were/are also extremists who wanted to join Russia, and they are mainly in the east.
Also understood - but it's worth including the percentage (as you have there). If 10-20% were not happy with the move towards the West, we don't want to misrepresent that as a large number that in any way explains a rebellion, which isn't what happened.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The latter two sound ok, the first sounds offensive. I don't think an American would appreciate being called an immigrant when even their parents were American born.

I think it's quite common in America for people to say they're x generation American, meaning their ancestors are not from America. Bear in mind that we're discussing the English language here, so you're not going to hear English phrases in countries that don't speak English.
OK, but if we are discussing form and use of English in the UK, we would be fannies to use American English ways of speaking as examples.:p

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I'm not making the rules.

Understood.

Also understood - but it's worth including the percentage (as you have there). If 10-20% were not happy with the move towards the West, we don't want to misrepresent that as a large number that in any way explains a rebellion, which isn't what happened.
Regards the last point I am not sure where 10-20% occursis. One very pro-Russian political party got 44 MPs out of the total 430 so just over 10%, there were other parties that were also in favour of more Russian ties. But it is possible most of those votes were in the Donbas areas so would be very significant % in that area.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Regards the last point I am not sure where 10-20% occursis. One very pro-Russian political party got 44 MPs out of the total 430 so just over 10%, there were other parties that were also in favour of more Russian ties. But it is possible most of those votes were in the Donbas areas so would be very significant % in that area.
Yeah, but that's still votes for a more Russian leading MP/government, which is not the same as actually voting to join Russia.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Yeah, but that's still votes for a more Russian leading MP/government, which is not the same as actually voting to join Russia.
I would think the invasion has opened a few of their eyes to what they were leaning towards....

People are strange though, a lot of Russians liked Putin and his control because they felt safe, included and looked after by the state as they had been let down by the new freedom following the decline of USSR (and all the wealth being hoovered up by a few rather than spread). Ironic that he was one of the people doing the hoovering but his clever deception in teh early days won him the support of the older people. There was the same mindset in parts of Ukraine.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I would think the invasion has opened a few of their eyes to what they were leaning towards....

People are strange though, a lot of Russians liked Putin and his control because they felt safe, included and looked after by the state as they had been let down by the new freedom following the decline of USSR (and all the wealth being hoovered up by a few rather than spread). Ironic that he was one of the people doing the hoovering but his clever deception in teh early days won him the support of the older people. There was the same mindset in parts of Ukraine.
This would be a true perception from my father in law (originally Russian) and other similar guys of his generation in the village. History taught them that ' might is right' (even when it isn't) and 'safe' for them.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Russia suspends the UN Grain Export deal.

Putin no doubt very upset by the Sevastopol attack.

Oh, and they are REALLY angry with the UK. Payback for Salisbury, Vlad.

"Repelled". Lol.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
info coming through the Sevestapol attack may not have been repelled at all, may have landed several hits. ranging in severity from system damage, through hull breach to the Makarov being sunk. certainly from footage seen a drone ship got up very close and personal to at least one ship.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here