Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
A very clever tactical strike from Ukraine for a number of reasons assuming they will continue their advance on Kherson.
1. Delays supplies to the Russian front line and distracts effort away from the fighting.
2. Propaganda bonus particularly on the tw*ts birthday, saying we can hit what we want when we want.
3. People in the Crimean panicking and causing problems by trying to leave .

All in all a good day at the office and I would not be surprised if this becomes a regular occurrence, repair one bit, damage another.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
A very clever tactical strike from Ukraine for a number of reasons assuming they will continue their advance on Kherson.
1. Delays supplies to the Russian front line and distracts effort away from the fighting.
2. Propaganda bonus particularly on the tw*ts birthday, saying we can hit what we want when we want.

All in all a good day at the office and I would not be surprised if this becomes a regular occurrence, repair one bit, damage another.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

And then take out half the bloody bridge with one of those HIMARS.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905

And if they are leaving there will now be doubt about how safe the bridge is.

There is also the question of Russia trying to work out where Ukraine will strike next - will they go to Melitopol to take advantage of the bottleneck caused by the damaged bridge or is this another ruse to get Russia to move troops there in order to attack again in the Donbas.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
does anyone know if the ruskys are actually trying to repair the bridge?

it would appear to be like pushing water uphill

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
This. Bridge is a sitting duck and it's only a matter of time before it gets taken out completely

If you're going to target it with HIMARS, (range 186 miles/300km with an accuracy of 1 metre), you might as well wait until a train goes on it as well.

Two for the price of one. Buy one, get one free.

When the Ukrainians reach their southern coast, they will be within that range. Not sure they are just yet.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
If you're going to target it with HIMARS, (range 186 miles/300km with an accuracy of 1 metre), you might as well wait until a train goes on it as well.

When the Ukrainians reach their southern coast, they will be within that range. Not sure they are just yet.

Not sure about what the Ukraine Air Force are doing but surely they must have stand off missiles that could take out the remainder of the bridge from quite a distance away?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Not sure about what the Ukraine Air Force are doing but surely they must have stand off missiles that could take out the remainder of the bridge from quite a distance away?

I'm sorry but I've no idea what stand off missiles the Ukrainian Air Force have, or even if they come under the remit of the air force.

I posted about HIMARS because I had heard a US General say you can put a rocket on a dinner table, so they are presumably well suited to taking out the Kerch bridge. But they're going to be very expensive. Don't quote me, but on some video, I saw that one rocket, just one, from an MLRS is $100,000 USD. I've no information as to how the Ukrainians, if indeed it was actually them, blew up the bridge this time.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
It looks like Russia will lose this war or (special military operation) and the occupied parts of Ukraine will be liberated in time.

The question is what Putin will do if this looks like happening :(

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH

That's not the type of HIMARS that the US gave Ukraine. They got the much shorter range version. About 90km, which isn't nearly far enough to hit the bridge from Ukrainian controlled territory.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
That's another "acronym weapon".

JDAMs.

It is not thought that the US has given them to Ukraine... yet.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
It looks like Russia will lose this war or (special military operation) and the occupied parts of Ukraine will be liberated in time.

The question is what Putin will do if this looks like happening :(
I would have thought Putin would have a team of strategists working out how he gets to his best possible outcome.

Sadly they are probably not ready to give him the bad news that it involves retreat from Ukraine.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I'm sorry but I've no idea what stand off missiles the Ukrainian Air Force have, or even if they come under the remit of the air force.

I posted about HIMARS because I had heard a US General say you can put a rocket on a dinner table, so they are presumably well suited to taking out the Kerch bridge. But they're going to be very expensive. Don't quote me, but on some video, I saw that one rocket, just one, from an MLRS is $100,000 USD. I've no information as to how the Ukrainians, if indeed it was actually them, blew up the bridge this time.

I don't suppose they will advertise them or the (fairly obvious place) they came from but I would be pretty certain the Ukranians will now have stand off missiles for their aircraft, as they mean you dont have to fly that close to the target.

Once they get fired and acquire where they should be going it will be Goodnight Vienna (or more accurately Goodnight Crimea). And these days stand off weapons are often satellite guided so radar jamming etc. won't work even if the Russians detect them.

As for expense, as they have a defence budget in excess of 5 Billion USD I think the USA can quite easily afford any weapons system they let the Ukranians have...

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
That's not the type of HIMARS that the US gave Ukraine. They got the much shorter range version. About 90km, which isn't nearly far enough to hit the bridge from Ukrainian controlled territory.

Ah, my mistake. Then when Ukraine troops reach the south coast, they will still be outside the range to hit the bridge with their existing HIMARS kit. Only when they press on into eastern Crimea, will they be in range.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Ah, my mistake. Then when Ukraine troops reach the south coast, they will still be outside the range to hit the bridge with their existing HIMARS kit. Only when they press on into eastern Crimea, will they be in range.

Plenty of Western-sponsored weapons and/or personnel that could take that bridge out more-or-less at will, I'd have thought. Just don't get caught doing it...

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I would have thought Putin would have a team of strategists working out how he gets to his best possible outcome.

Sadly they are probably not ready to give him the bad news that it involves retreat from Ukraine.

I can't imagine how he would react to losing Crimea as well, especially after the Russkiye's built that expensive bridge and Putin drove on it himself. Maybe a humiliation too much for him.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't suppose they will advertise them or the (fairly obvious place) they came from but I would be pretty certain the Ukranians will now have stand off missiles for their aircraft, as they mean you dont have to fly that close to the target.

Once they get fired and acquire where they should be going it will be Goodnight Vienna (or more accurately Goodnight Crimea). And these days stand off weapons are often satellite guided so radar jamming etc. won't work even if the Russians detect them.

As for expense, as they have a defence budget in excess of 5 Billion USD I think the USA can quite easily afford any weapons system they let the Ukranians have...

US defence budget? $722,000,000,000 per annum

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here