Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
OMG, poor people. I dread to think how many civilians have perished. Putin needs to be crushed.
I’d like to think that the majority of the Russian population would be utterly ashamed of an atrocity such as this and would seek to overthrow him - although I don’t think that would happen quickly. If only they knew.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I have to admit that I can't dismiss the idea that Putin is sufficiently unhinged to fire a missile in to London. He's bitten off more than he can chew, ruined the Russian economy and has no way out. I wish we would stop poking the bear so publicly and focus on supporting Ukraine from under the NATO counter. London may very well be front and centre of any European target and much as I am repeatedly appalled by events in Ukraine, my son and his family lives in London and are more important to me than this barbaric war.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
How the hell did Russia get to host the World Cup after the first invasion!
It was disgusting at the time and its a stain on FIFA.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I have to admit that I can't dismiss the idea that Putin is sufficiently unhinged to fire a missile in to London. He's bitten off more than he can chew, ruined the Russian economy and has no way out. I wish we would stop poking the bear so publicly and focus on supporting Ukraine from under the NATO counter. London may very well be front and centre of any European target and much as I am repeatedly appalled by events in Ukraine, my son and his family lives in London and are more important to me than this barbaric war.

That’s why we have a nuclear deterrent. Any such attack on London would result in the reciprocal destruction of Moscow. That’s why the attack on London will not happen and why we ignored the would be nuclear disarmers. Putin has attacked a non nuclear state and one which we were party to disarming. It’s no co-incidence.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
That’s why we have a nuclear deterrent. Any such attack on London would result in the reciprocal destruction of Moscow. That’s why the attack on London will not happen and why we ignored the would be nuclear disarmers. Putin has attacked a non nuclear state and one which we were party to disarming. It’s no co-incidence.
A treaty that Russia also signed guaranteeing Ukraines borders !! No country can have any confidence in any treaty/deal signed by Russia, which makes a peaceful end to this conflict nigh on impossible

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit

You cannot say with certainty that it "will not happen" - it's your opinion, which is fine, but it's not a fact. Putin IS being pushed into a corner (and rightly so), and there is simply no way of knowing just how far he'll go.
I wish we'd gone far further on nuclear disarmament - all countries, but it was sadly not to be.
We're in the same position as the bloody USA with their gun culture: If the bad guys have got guns, the good guys need even more guns.
Such a pathetic way to exist, really.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
You cannot say with certainty that it "will not happen" - it's your opinion, which is fine, but it's not a fact. Putin IS being pushed into a corner (and rightly so), and there is simply no way of knowing just how far he'll go.
I wish we'd gone far further on nuclear disarmament - all countries, but it was sadly not to be.
We're in the same position as the bloody USA with their gun culture: If the bad guys have got guns, the good guys need even more guns.
Such a pathetic way to exist, really.

I don’t think it’s the same thing. Policing in a gun free state works because of alternative methods of law enforcement. There is no alternative to nuclear defence when faced with nuclear threat.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I don’t think it’s the same thing. Policing in a gun free state works because of alternative methods of law enforcement. There is no alternative to nuclear defence when faced with nuclear threat.

It works only if you're facing a rational enemy - Putin's actions have not (nor continue to be) rational. Sure, Moscow will burn if London does, but that might just not bother him as much as losing face, as well as the Russian economy being screwed for the foreseeable future.
Mutual disarmament was a great idea, but simply didn't go far enough.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
The fact that this has been going on since 20 Feb would show they haven’t got the upper hand.
I would argue that the last barbaric act is one of desperation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They have when it comes down to the west as they know the West are scared to fire a single bullet for fear of all out war.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It works only if you're facing a rational enemy - Putin's actions have not (nor continue to be) rational. Sure, Moscow will burn if London does, but that might just not bother him as much as losing face, as well as the Russian economy being screwed for the foreseeable future.
Mutual disarmament was a great idea, but simply didn't go far enough.

It didn’t go further because that wouldn’t have been mutual. I’m not sure you can say Putin’s aims are irrational. He wants a powerful, strong Greater Russia. The destruction of Moscow would not be compatible. I am comfortable with our defensive and offensive capabilities. I wouldn’t be if we had disarmed which is what Ukraine did in the 90s.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
It didn’t go further because that wouldn’t have been mutual. I’m not sure you can say Putin’s aims are irrational. He wants a powerful, strong Greater Russia. The destruction of Moscow would not be compatible. I am comfortable with our defensive and offensive capabilities. I wouldn’t be if we had disarmed which is what Ukraine did in the 90s.

Of course they are irrational, in the sense that he won't get what he wants - in which case, where does he go from here? Lose face? Back down? Walk away from Ukraine? Accept ever increasing damage to Russia's economy? No, he'll be pushed and prodded until he snaps.....in my opinion, of course, and then we're all 'losers'.
The best hope is that he's taken out by his own, but as time has gone on, that seems less and less likely.
As for disarmament, we'll clearly never agree.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I don't fear it as it's inevitable at some point, rather it's not in our life time but there's not a lot we can do about it? You can't uninvent weapons.

Well, bully for you, Bulldog - I fear it, as do most sensible folk who don't share your rather fatalistic view, and every conceivable path should be explored to avoid it, whether such weapons exist or not.
Poking the bear continuously is not a prudent way forward, imo, if one wishes to avoid all out war.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I was in agreement with what was said a few weeks ago by one of the high ranking British Army (sorry, I forget which one) that Putin fears shows of strength but probes and exploits weakness. The soldier suggested that forthwith, NATO troops should be increased, battle ready and massed on all Russia/NATO borders. To show Putin what waits for him he tries it.

It’s a tactic not without risks. Nevertheless, I am glad to see in the news today that this is what is happening. Putin needs to be stared down and met with overwhelming capacity.

He’s a bully. Bullies cannot be appeased. They must be beaten back down. Each time. Every time. For as long as it takes to cow them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here