Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Putin will also be able to get at all their families. And they know it
While that's true, they should also know that if they fire nukes, them and their families will probably all die. If they don't, but others (in other missile sites) do, then equally they're all dead anyway. The only hope for them and their families to survive, is to not fire. And if all their colleagues also refuse, then the chances are that Putin will be removed, so their families will escape him.

None of it guaranteed, but I'd think they have a better chance without firing.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
While that's true, they should also know that if they fire nukes, them and their families will probably all die. If they don't, but others (in other missile sites) do, then equally they're all dead anyway. The only hope for them and their families to survive, is to not fire. And if all their colleagues also refuse, then the chances are that Putin will be removed, so their families will escape him.

None of it guaranteed, but I'd think they have a better chance without firing.

I'm hoping that at some point in the near future Putin departs the Presidency one way or another and those left to pick up the pieces try and engage with the West, withdraw immediately from Ukraine and the other regions where they station " Peacekeeping " forces and try to change for the better.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
[TWEET]1519656135397036032[/TWEET]

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm hoping that at some point in the near future Putin departs the Presidency one way or another and those left to pick up the pieces try and engage with the West, withdraw immediately from Ukraine and the other regions where they station " Peacekeeping " forces and try to change for the better.
Of course, we can all dream.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Capture.PNG

"Dear Mr President, news just in....Sanchez, Veltman, Dunk, Webster, Trossard, Mwepu, Mac Allister, Caicedo, Cucurella, Welbeck and Maupay."

"What about Lamptey, FFS?"

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
True.

Hopefully it's an aggressive cancer, although even if that were the case there's bound to be plenty of bond villains queueing up to replace the scumbag.

My mum had Parkinson and cancer which is not a good combination. She could handle one or the other but not both ….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61257846

‘German energy giant Uniper gives in to Russian rouble demand’

Germany seems to be seeking to circumnavigate the ban on rouble payments with some clever (ish) financial chicanery. Hopefully the EU will crack down. I read this article not long after this one:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-61248436

‘War in Ukraine: Ukrainians deported to Russia beaten and mistreated’

Perhaps the German financial whizz kids need to take a look at themselves.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61257846

‘German energy giant Uniper gives in to Russian rouble demand’

Germany seems to be seeking to circumnavigate the ban on rouble payments with some clever (ish) financial chicanery. Hopefully the EU will crack down. I read this article not long after this one:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-61248436

‘War in Ukraine: Ukrainians deported to Russia beaten and mistreated’

Perhaps the German financial whizz kids need to take a look at themselves.

I feel for Germany here, they need to stop buying Russian Gas and Oil, in any currency, but they are hooked on it. We and the rest of Europe need to formulate a plan to secure what we need, or reduce what we need, together, we can't just expect Germany to cope without half of it's usual consumption.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I feel for Germany here, they need to stop buying Russian Gas and Oil, in any currency, but they are hooked on it. We and the rest of Europe need to formulate a plan to secure what we need, or reduce what we need, together, we can't just expect Germany to cope without half of it's usual consumption.

I think that is happening to a degree. There have been record LNG imports into Europe this past month and that includes a tripling in imports from the US compared to this time last year. Bulgaria is replacing lost Russian pipeline gas with LNG imports into Greece. This is then piped northwards. Also, demand destruction from high prices. I do think though that Germany should be calling Putin’s bluff. Opening second accounts in roubles in Russia whilst making Euro payments to Switzerland is a blatant attempt to get around the rules. Energy dependence on Russia is a problem of their own making and Russia cannot afford to lose the revenue.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I think that is happening to a degree. There have been record LNG imports into Europe this past month and that includes a tripling in imports from the US compared to this time last year. Bulgaria is replacing lost Russian pipeline gas with LNG imports into Greece. This is then piped northwards. Also, demand destruction from high prices. I do think though that Germany should be calling Putin’s bluff. Opening second accounts in roubles in Russia whilst making Euro payments to Switzerland is a blatant attempt to get around the rules. Energy dependence on Russia is a problem of their own making and Russia cannot afford to lose the revenue.

Germany needs to stop buying Russian gas. Full Stop.

Yup, recession might well come - but it will most likely stop the war - short term pain, long term gain.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61040424

Which is more important to Germany?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Germany needs to stop buying Russian gas. Full Stop.

Yup, recession might well come
Saying a recession 'might' come gives the impression you don't know how big a deal it would be for Germany. A recession would be a foregone conclusion. I agree with you that if it can be done, it should be done, but I don't know quite how damaging it would be to them. It also depends whether the current sanctions etc are likely to be enough at some point, but like you I imagine, I fear they may not be.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They’re bluffing aren’t they. I fear we may have to call it before too long
We've already called it. It's a threat for us to give up on Ukraine and stop supplying weapons - we haven't done that.

"Margarita Simonyan, editor of broadcaster RT and one of the most highly paid Kremlin mouthpieces, made the chilling prediction last night.

Speaking with a panel of nervous looking experts on TV, she said: ‘Either we lose in Ukraine, or the Third World War starts.'"

Right, so she's saying that if we keep helping Ukraine, Russia will lose. That's good to know Margarita, thanks.

I'd like to know what China thinks of all this. We're going to keep supplying weapons, so does China really want the world wiped out?

Putin: "‘We have all the weapons we need for this. No one else can brag about these weapons, and we won’t brag about them. But we will use them’ he bragged.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We've already called it. It's a threat for us to give up on Ukraine and stop supplying weapons - we haven't done that.

"Margarita Simonyan, editor of broadcaster RT and one of the most highly paid Kremlin mouthpieces, made the chilling prediction last night.

Speaking with a panel of nervous looking experts on TV, she said: ‘Either we lose in Ukraine, or the Third World War starts.'"

Right, so she's saying that if we keep helping Ukraine, Russia will lose. That's good to know Margarita, thanks.

I'd like to know what China thinks of all this. We're going to keep supplying weapons, so does China really want the world wiped out?

Putin: "‘We have all the weapons we need for this. No one else can brag about these weapons, and we won’t brag about them. But we will use them’ he bragged.

Bluff, but a scary one that probably does need calling. If Putin gets away with this he will be invigorated and won’t stop at Ukraine

Threats obviously work in Russia so it’ll be hard for him to realise they may not work in the “free world” given that this special operation is unacceptable evil genocide.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here