Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Nato secretary general Jens Stoltenberg has said the use of chemical weapons "will totally change the nature of the conflict, it will be a blatant violation of international law and it will have widespread consequences"

What does or will that mean ?

Boots on the Ground ?
Planes in the Air ?
or
More likely a very stern letter to Vlad ?

I would say a lot more than a stern letter. That’s what they got when practicing these techniques in Syria and here we are a few years later. Appeasement does not work.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Nato secretary general Jens Stoltenberg has said the use of chemical weapons "will totally change the nature of the conflict, it will be a blatant violation of international law and it will have widespread consequences"

What does or will that mean ?

Boots on the Ground ?
Planes in the Air ?
or
More likely a very stern letter to Vlad ?
Instead of Covid infected Mice we will escalate and release Covid infected Beavers in to Russia.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
31F2FFA2-AA68-443A-9496-5A5BED83A7B2.jpeg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
making the case the oligarchs, at least from 90's, are not Putin's supporters but potential opposition.

Very much so. They will also be witnessing the sharp end of the sanctions, and will want them over as soon as possible.

But reading the last few paragraphs, it looks like a coup is still a minority view amongst the Kremlin watchers.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
And all they need are the munitions and equipment. That's where we come in. Massive pressure needs to go on the government to get our stockpiles where they are needed

You called it. Outside Kyiv tonight.

BOOM - a Russian munitions storage.... was confirmed by Arestovych (presidential spokeman)

[tweet]1507088300422619143[/tweet]

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You called it. Outside Kyiv tonight.

BOOM - a Russian munitions storage.... was confirmed by Arestovych (presidential spokeman)
I couldn't see the confirmation of who blew what up, or exactly where. Was it definitely Russian munitions? I didn't even think they had settled outside of Kyiv.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Apologies if fixtures but here’s former Sussex cricketer Stuart Meaker in Poland where he’s currently volunteering with refugees

[tweet]1507045980738408462[/tweet]

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
something just struck me about Ukraine, is how flat it is. everything see is level, like one huge river flood plain. is this right or just the battles focus around towns with flat land?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
something just struck me about Ukraine, is how flat it is. everything see is level, like one huge river flood plain. is this right or just the battles focus around towns with flat land?
A lot of it is flat, hence it's the breadbasket of Europe. But there are some mountains.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, yeah, Ed Sheeran, I know, but this is pretty inspiring amongst all the horrors.

[tweet]1506799839509725196[/tweet]

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Seems Putin’s bluff on chemical and biological weapons has been called by Biden. We could be about to enter a potential ramping up of this catastrophe? Scary just got scarier imo.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Seems Putin’s bluff on chemical and biological weapons has been called by Biden. We could be about to enter a potential ramping up of this catastrophe? Scary just got scarier imo.

It is scary but Putin has to know that there is a limit to what he can do. He's starving out whole cities, shelling hospitals and civillian areas and numerous reports of civilians being shot. He, or his troops are committing war crimes and he has to know that there will be a price if he escalates again due to his desperation to call his " Special Operation " a win. He has to know that there are limits or else or, as we have seen before,he will just keep pushing the envelope.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It is scary but Putin has to know that there is a limit to what he can do. He's starving out whole cities, shelling hospitals and civillian areas and numerous reports of civilians being shot. He, or his troops are committing war crimes and he has to know that there will be a price if he escalates again due to his desperation to call his " Special Operation " a win. He has to know that there are limits or else or, as we have seen before,he will just keep pushing the envelope.

Exactly, we’ll soon find out if he is willing to call what may also be a bluff by Biden

The ideal would be Putin’s removal and replacement by a more considered leader. That is also questionable given some of the suggested alternatives.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here