Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Meanwhile there's a disturbing mass celebration in Moscow of the annexation of Crimea. So much for this being Putin's war, with the people of Russia bystanders.

There is a difference of course, you don't get locked up for doing this. We need to be careful not to demonise the Russian population as a whole

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Ukraine is a sovereign nation who can invite whoever they like to come to their country and train them. They don't need permission from their very large neighbours.
Why is Russia so spooked about a small neighbour talking to a defensive alliance? It is no threat to them, unless, of course, they had designs on some of that land.

Agreed on your point about Sovereign nations deciding what they do for themselves.

Shame that right isn't afforded to all nations.

But then I'm back to whataboutery I suppose :shrug:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Burger King has now joined M&S in refusing to close their retail outlets in Russia citing "legal complexities".

You all know what to do. Boycott the ******** until they do the right thing.

They have withdrawn all support from their Russian operations, and promised to send revenue from Russia, if they get any, to Ukrainian refugee charities.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Which then begs the next question.

How long were NATO active in Ukraine before the 2014 invasion?

See where this is going?

All a bit chicken and egg.

Almost certainly weren't there before 2014 with the moscow puppet. The army was pathetic, all money in budget stolen and equipment that didnt work. After the revolution of dignity and Russia's 2 invasions, it became a priority.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Let's be fair though - some of them will be state employees encouraged to go. And no one will want to lose their job right now in Russia.
There were a lot of people there. It would be good to learn more.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

Old school Wordle

I'll guess S.

download.png

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Lots of comments earlier about prior training by Western forces and also stockpiling resources before the invasion. This is something Britain has done well and plaudits to the government where they are due. I think it also partly addresses the clamouring noises 'we aren't doing enough' for the displaced refugees from Ukraine. Different countries have different expertise and resources, one strong resource in regard to Poland was proximity, one of ours is obviously military know-how and technically advanced equipment.

I say this as someone who is trying to be bi-partisan politically, whilst acknowledging that personally, I believe the govt should have moved quicker to give practical help to fleeing people.

Here's a good article demonstrating the point:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/03/12/inside-story-britain-armed-ukraines-resistance-russia/

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Surely, all those people who were forced to attend, and were happy to admit to a foreign journalist that they were forced to attend, were pretty unimpressed with the whole thing, and are likely to discuss it with others?

Only those they can trust. Others will be happy to report you, such is the grip of a police state.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
This is a good thread from Max Seddon with some details. Putin made a brief appearance.

[tweet]1504790978749779971[/tweet]

That is mental, rocking out for genocide, come show your support for shelling apartment blocks.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Lots of comments earlier about prior training by Western forces and also stockpiling resources before the invasion. This is something Britain has done well and plaudits to the government where they are due. I think it also partly addresses the clamouring noises 'we aren't doing enough' for the displaced refugees from Ukraine. Different countries have different expertise and resources, one strong resource in regard to Poland was proximity, one of ours is obviously military know-how and technically advanced equipment.

I say this as someone who is trying to be bi-partisan politically, whilst acknowledging that personally, I believe the govt should have moved quicker to give practical help to fleeing people.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/03/12/inside-story-britain-armed-ukraines-resistance-russia/

A good balanced post. What is NSC becoming?!!!!

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house

Don’t you come on here giving a balanced view, this thread is a bashing the Government… say sorry.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
That is mental, rocking out for genocide, come show your support for shelling apartment blocks.
But the ordinary Russians believe that their troops are only bombing and shelling drug fuelled Nazis.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here