Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi To Leave Albion After Tomorrow's Game

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
Here's what I don't understand.

What's in it for us to cancel his contract? There's all these jobs coming up, Man U, Munich, Juve, probably several other similar roles. All of those would have paid us millions to end his contract.

And I don't buy the answer that he would have downed tools like a sulky 22 year old. That would be career ending for him.

We received 20 plus million for Potter, and yes that was a once off, but RDZ's contract had a very significant value to us. Potter's star was never as high as RDZ's is

I totally see what's in it for him. I don't see what's in it for us.

Even if we've got someone lined up, and they agree to come, we've just sacked off millions of pounds. And if we were the sort of club who was happy to burn millions of pounds, RDZ probably wouldn't be leaving anyway
I believe his release was around the 12m mark??, so about Dan Burn type money. No-one wants an unhappy manager slumped on his seat sucking lemons for a few months while we wait for one of the big boys to stump up the cash and whisk him away. I think a mutual parting suits everyone.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If you are blaming PBOBE for this you are wrong. This RDZ throwing his toys out of the pram and it is a a bad look for someone who’s job is it to coach players up.
Disagree. It’s got all the hallmarks of him being asked to leave.

The blame is equal between both parties.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Like most on here I'd love to know why he's really leaving.

He had 2 more years on his contract, and doing a decent job in the circumstances, and had the love of most (if not all) Albion fans.

Has he jumped of his own accord to seek a higher profile job or been tapped up?

Or has he left because after discussions with TB & PB he was unhappy with the potential not to have as much to strengthen the squad with this summer?

Surely one of the two.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
99% is such a stretch.

Poyet went and we got in the lazy, flaky Oscar and then Hyypia while stuffing the side full of cheap loans. It set us back two years in the biggest money pit league in the world. Bloom would be a lot richer if he hadn’t made those cock ups.

And now we seem to think everything we do is perfect. We don’t need a FAB. We don’t need a regulator, we don’t need a difficult but ambitious coach.

PBOBE is in danger of drinking his own koolaid.
I think this is absolute nonsense.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde

He had 2 more years on his contract, and doing a decent job in the circumstances, and had the love of most (if not all) Albion fans.

Or has he left because after discussions with TB & PB he was unhappy with the potential not to have as much to strengthen the squad with this summer?

Surely one of the two.
He’s been telling us why for most of the season to be fair.

The club f***ed up in both transfer windows, and it’s resulted in us losing the best coach we’ve ever had.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I believe his release was around the 12m mark??, so about Dan Burn type money. No-one wants an unhappy manager slumped on his seat sucking lemons for a few months while we wait for one of the big boys to stump up the cash and whisk him away. I think a mutual parting suits everyone.
Hmmm - £12m is £12m. That's nearly one and a half Fati's .

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
To be fair, that's not all that unusual is it?

I remember a bunch of stories around the time Rogers became Leicester manager and they played Liverpool for the first time, that Klopp was still living in a house that Rogers owned.

Whether he'd taken Rogers' portrait down from the living room was never confirmed one way or the other as far as I recall.
Apparently Liverpool FC own that gaff, because the new man, Arne Slot, is moving into it next, I read somewhere this week.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Apparently Liverpool FC own that gaff, because the new man, Arne Slot, is moving into it next, I read somewhere this week.
Do they own the portrait?

Edit: seriously though, apparently they bought it in 2019.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Surely one of the two.
Or have the club got fed up with him for being distracted to such an extent by the prospect of a bigger job that results tailed off alarmingly before miraculously regaining his mojo when it seemed he had no other option?

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
To those of you that are saying that we should change our model and start spending... When I left the Goldstone to get a new job my reason for leaving on my cv was 'no job security' and that was obviously the truth. TB has said he's going to leave the club to his son, not much of an inheritance if you're given something that's 400 million in debt is it? When the will's read out he's gonna sit there & think 'FFS Dad, you've just left me debt'. I tend to look at things in a 'bigger picture' view & if it all goes tit's up financially for TB, my kids could see their beloved club run by some petro state who doesn't give a shit about it, as it's just business and a way to look good.
I'd love to buy the 'allegedly' top brands of everything, but I'm not stupid enough to use my credit card to do it. It's not wise to buy a brand new car off the forecourt on credit as it's value depreciates the moment you've driven it, you then have interest to pay on the credit, you'd only do it if you want the status symbol of a 'brand new' car. Some of you sound desperate for the 'brand new' car. I like the fact we buy within our means, it is frustrating that we buy a car that suddenly turns out to be in demand on the 2nd hand market after we've spent hours doing it up & sell it, but some of that credit card needs to be repaid. That's the best analogy I can think of, aside from Japanese Maple trees being 'really' expensive when they're mature and not cheap to start with. :lolol:

I'm not shocked RDZ is going, but I am sad. I was really p**sed off when GP left in the way he did and thought we were doomed. Some random person I had never heard of came along & built upon what GP had started with a lot more passion. It now feels like there was too much passion. For the team it must've felt like going from a partner who was happy with sex once a month to someone who wanted it twice a day & at some point it gets tiring (allegedly). We now need someone in between. 🤷‍♀️

TL.DR... In TB I trust, RDZ has been fantastic & someone will be lined up. Although I've just used my credit card to buy tickets on the exchange to make sure I can clap RDZ and the team off tomorrow as I'm not a financially responsible person like TB is. :albion2:

Last edited:

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Which bits and why?
"Absolute" would suggest all of it.

I tend to agree with the gist of what you wrote, even if the particular mistakes re. managers were a while ago, for what it's worth.

Edit: I also tend to agree with the gist of jcdenton08's post you were replying to. There's not really anything contradictory in them.
For everybody's benefit, I added that as/after Guiness Boy liked the post. :lolol:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
"Absolute" would suggest all of it.

I tend to agree with the gist of what you wrote, even if the particular mistakes re. managers were a while ago, for what it's worth.

Edit: I also tend to agree with the gist of jcdenton08's post you were replying to. There's not really anything contradictory in them.
Well quite. Paragraph 2 is documented fact.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Which bits and why?
I think Oscar did a good job with a mediocre team - for which I don’t blame Bloom, but rather applaud his ambition in trying new things which didn’t pan out (Colunga, Rodriguez) and saw no signs of flakiness that you describe.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Surely one of the two.

PB’s stuck his nose into the manager press conference …. so that we’ll never get to find out :lolol::mad:.

Or wait for TB’s autobio on his 80th birthday.

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
On reflection I’m ok with it. If he stayed for next season I’m almost certain it would have been the last and the absolute circus of the last few months has done my head in, quite often fuelled by De Zerbi himself.

If we do badly next season he’d have been having hissy fits again and touting himself around again and if we did well he’d be 100% leaving and linked with every big job on the continent and he would have encouraged it!

Let’s start again with a stable Manager who wants to be here and concentrate on the football and all part on good times, after possibly the best season (and a half) in our history…. Cheers Rob and good luck in wherever you end up.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I think Potter has been wishing and a hoping and a thinking and a praying that TB thinks he has learned his lesson. Potter is so ensconced in Hove that I think he will stay there until he gets a recall. We could do worse and at least we get our Bruno back.

• Angry
Reactions: A1X

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here