Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi To Leave Albion After Tomorrow's Game

Freddo

May 14, 2006
Clapham
Really disappointed and annoyed. I had been looking forward to a better season next year with the injured players returning and a couple key new signings, bringing back De Zerbi’s mojo.

To now lose him for nothing and let a big club take him for free feels like bad business.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
My post wasn’t to do with managerial succession planning. I agree with what you say there. It was referring to what it says about our ambition in terms of player targets this summer. The squad is at a crossroads.
We have one of the youngest squads we have ever had, actually stronger than we started last season, all a year more experienced and haven't extended Lallana. How does this constitute a 'crossroads' exactly :lolol:

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Whilst I instinctively rail against this type of post.

I strongly suspect that it is a major factor in TBs decision.
RDZ massively overplayed his hand in the wake of Wolves/Fulham/Roma.
He needed to keep the dream alive in one of those competitions, but blew the season out and left himself in a very weak position.

I can accept and understand the way our way our season imploded but I have struggled with accepting a manager who blamed everyone but himself which is what RDZ did until recently when he reined it in a little. Calling out TB I suggest was a fatal error.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
So this could be the timeline:

January he fell out with the club over transfer policy.
Feb/Mar the tension is obvious from demeanour, performances and post-match interviews.
Makes a right pig's ear of the Roma away leg which along with other poor results and public pronouncements puts off some of the clubs supposedly eyeing him up, including Bayern.
Mar/Apr - Bayern miss out on several preferred candidates but De Zerbi doesn't seem to be in the equation.
Apr/May - RDZ realises he appears to be 'stuck' here, performances improve, starts saying the 'right' things and everyone seems happier.
This week - Bayern are rebuffed by their latest target, Glasner, and Tuchel reveals he won't be bailing them out.
With Bayern back in the game, he's off.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I still maintain that something big happened behind the scenes back in Feb after the Wolves game. That when everything went bandy. Interesting that’s the player liaison office is also ‘retiring’ and didn’t look that happy about it at the awards. Lallanas strange interview and subsequent leaving.

Big changes in the club incoming.
The player liaison was always retiring so don’t read anything into that

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
We literally bought Baleba for £25m, Pedro for £30m, Dahoud (RDZ's choice), Barco, Fati (this fai

The summer 23 window left us with zero non-work in progress defensive midfielders, zero PL quality cover for Velts and Estupinan. With a bigger programme ahead and an historic chance in Europe.

Not after-timing, countless posters mentioned these aspects last August.

(Dahoud played a ‘Gundogan’ esque role in Germany, not a DM or pivot).

A woefully deficient window.

@Guinness Boy famously summed it up mid season with RDZ’s having to manage “with one hand tied behind his back”.

This was inevitable once Bild mentioned Bayern really rate him.
I agree

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I can accept and understand the way our way our season imploded but I have struggled with accepting a manager who blamed everyone but himself which is what RDZ did until recently when he reigned it in a little.
That isn't true though.

The social media narrative is that RDZ didn't blame himself, but he did, frequently.
Listening to the whole post-match interviews, rather than the clips on twitter, gives a much better view on the mn and his thoughts.

He was painfully honest about everything.
Including his failings.
He even came out and said he should have handled the January window better.

Emotional man, that gets the bets out of his squad, because he is honest.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
That isn't true though.

The social media narrative is that RDZ didn't blame himself, but he did, frequently.
Listening to the whole post-match interviews, rather than the clips on twitter, gives a much better view on the mn and his thoughts.

He was painfully honest about everything.
Including his failings.
He even came out and said he should have handled the January window better.

Emotional man, that gets the bets out of his squad, because he is honest.
Really? I heard loads of whinging about the January transfer window and the clubs ambition until recently in post match interviews, not much about how HE got it wrong. Recently, yes but I assume that was because TB or PB had a word with him.

He was not getting the best out of the squad for most of the last three months either

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The summer 23 window left us with zero non-work in progress defensive midfielders, zero PL quality cover for Velts and Estupinan. With a bigger programme ahead and an historic chance in Europe.

Not after-timing, countless posters mentioned these aspects last August.

(Dahoud played a ‘Gundogan’ esque role in Germany, not a DM or pivot).

A woefully deficient window.

@Guinness Boy famously summed it up mid season with RDZ’s having to manage “with one hand tied behind his back”.

This was inevitable once Bild mentioned Bayern really rate him.
Yup all of this.

RDZ wanted to win the FA Cup , Europa League and qualify for Champions league.
Absolutely mental ambition, but that is who he is.

With the state of our injuries at the time, he needed the club to back him and his ambition.

I have no issue with the fact the club decided against it.
But anyone slating DeZerbi for his attitude are doing him a massive disservice

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
So this could be the timeline:

January he fell out with the club over transfer policy.
Feb/Mar the tension is obvious from demeanour, performances and post-match interviews.
Makes a right pig's ear of the Roma away leg which along with other poor results and public pronouncements puts off some of the clubs supposedly eyeing him up, including Bayern.
Mar/Apr - Bayern miss out on several preferred candidates but De Zerbi doesn't seem to be in the equation.
Apr/May - RDZ realises he appears to be 'stuck' here, performances improve, starts saying the 'right' things and everyone seems happier.
This week - Bayern are rebuffed by their latest target, Glasner, and Tuchel reveals he won't be bailing them out.
With Bayern back in the game, he's off.
You either have a big future as a biographer or a fictional dramatist. Time will tell :wink:

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
As disappointed as I am, I think the statement from Tony is telling that this was as much Albion’s decision as it was Roberto’s. Phrases like “leaving on good terms” and hoping the fans give him a “wonderful and fully deserved send-off” suggests that this decision suits both parties. All good things come to an end. Definitely a legend for what he achieved in that magical 12 month sweet spot - unforgettable memories.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
His career has a ' Mourinho without the trophies ' feel to it. A pretty short span at most clubs ( this will be RDZ's 8th club in 11 years ) They both cleverly position themselves to exit, firstly when other opportunities are on the horizon and secondly because they are both restless individuals, seeking that elusive answer..I.e a balance between attractive football and winning football....that very few in football ever attain. I don' t think this will change with RDZ. He will have a lot of clubs. His demanding and risk and reward methods won't suit everybody. He has cut his teeth honing his system here. This was a rehearsal for the real thing. A chance to prove himself at the elite level, demanding near perfection from better players.
I keep hear him being labelled a genius. There is no such thing in football. Never has been, never will be. Great managers win multiple trophies. Very good managers achieve certain things. RDZ is still climbing that ladder and has a lot of work to do yet before he can even be talked about as an elite manager.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Really? I heard loads of whinging about the January transfer window and the clubs ambition until recently in post match interviews, not much about how HE got it wrong. Recently, yes but I assume that was because TB or PB had a word with him.
Listen to the interviews with an open mind and you will see he says a lot more than that.

Or don't.

I don't really care

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Oh well, never mind.

TB will sort it all out and we'll be no worse off, probably better

I just hope some key senior players stick around long enough to allow a smooth transition period

I hope the new contracts have been dealt with by the club and the players knew RDZ was off.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I wish him well, but it is for the best, things had gone sour.
I don’t go along with the doom and gloom merchants at all.
Looking forward to a fresh start with a new enthusiastic manager, who wants to be here and will concentrate all his energies on the team rather than whinge from the sidelines, when things don’t go his way.
Be good to have a number one goalie too. I never understood all that nonsense with Jason and Bart!😳

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here