Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter’s return?

Return of Potter

• Total voters

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
Clearly fits the club culture. Has worked with many of the players before. Probably the best man available. It’s an obvious choice.

But will the big execs let ego and popularity get in the way? I expect so.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Likewise how many have gone backwards under RDZ? Enciso, Adingra, Dunk?, Veltman, Pervis, Ferguson, ….
All of them except Adingra have been injured for big chunks.

The only one who had gone backwards for reasons not involving injury is Dunk, who is another year older and slower.

Adingra has scored a couple v Luton, Sheffield United, and an Ajax side who would get relegated from the Prem. His problem is not the manager taking him 'backwards' because he's not playing in some noddy Belgian league

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Solly March specifically said he found playing under Potter difficult because of how he was used and didn't give him any confidence.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
All of them except Adingra have been injured for big chunks.

The only one who had gone backwards for reasons not involving injury is Dunk, who is another year older and slower.

Adingra has scored a couple v Luton, Sheffield United, and an Ajax side who would get relegated from the Prem. His problem is not the manager taking him 'backwards' because he's not playing in some noddy Belgian league
Adingra contributed more in the Europa League last season for USG than us - same level. Also apart from Man Utd all his contributions were against relegated teams.

Decent AFCON as well

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Clearly fits the club culture. Has worked with many of the players before. Probably the best man available. It’s an obvious choice.

Clearly fits the soppy bollocks Football Association culture more. Total Southgate clone. If Potter is not a 'shoe-in' for the England job, I'll eat my geography book

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Mr Bloom and Mr Barber are far too sensible to let ego and popularity get in the way. If they thought it was the right thing to do, they’d do it. I don’t think it will happen, though.

Aug 18, 2013
Adingra contributed more in the Europa League last season for USG than us - same level. Also apart from Man Utd all his contributions were against relegated teams.

Decent AFCON as well
He got 1 less assist for us and 1 more goal for us in the Europa League.

His 3 assists were against Braga (2) and Union Berlin.

Have a day off making up nonsense to prove a bad point.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He got 1 less assist for us and 1 more goal for us in the Europa League.

His 3 assists were against Braga (2) and Union Berlin.

Have a day off making up nonsense to prove a bad point.
1 assist in the PL is very poor return for a winger, surely you agree ?

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
Personally, I don't think Tony and PBOBE will want to go that way but FWIW, a lot of people I chatted to at the stadium today were quite positive about a potential Potter return.

I get all the reasons against and yet there is still a certain logic to the point that our (arguably) second best manager in modern times still lives in hove, is without a club and knows many of the staff and players.

For me it would be a big risk. If it didn't start well then the fans would quickly turn and lets face it, he didn't exactly endear himself to the fans either during his tenure or departure. But if you park the emotion for a moment, there are some plusses.

1. he knows the club, many of the players and staff
2. he know (to his cost) that the grass is not always greener
3. he really was a good manager for a club of our size and resources. Lets not forget we were 4th when he left and most of us were gutted. The anger at the perceived betrayal was completely justified, but should that cloud our judgement when looking for the best manager available? Probably not but hey, this is football!

Aug 18, 2013
1 assist in the PL is very poor return for a winger, surely you agree ?
Yep. Because- spoiler - he's a 22 year old who isn't particularly good at this level yet. Why that is the fault of a bloke who transformed Solly March into a guy capable of goals and assists, and makes you want to go back to a guy who couldn't get the best out of his wingers, is beyond me. You need help.

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020

If you're talking about Russell Martin, how many players has he worked with before ? If he loses to Mighty Leeds on Sunday, he'll probably be toast, plus he come s across as very arrogant.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yep. Because- spoiler - he's a 22 year old who isn't particularly good at this level yet. Why that is the fault of a bloke who transformed Solly March into a guy capable of goals and assists, and makes you want to go back to a guy who couldn't get the best out of his wingers, is beyond me. You need help.
Yep shame he couldn’t replicate that transformation with our other wingers this season

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Likewise how many have gone backwards under RDZ? Enciso, Adingra, Dunk?, Veltman, Pervis, Ferguson, ….
N, N, Y, Y, N, N

And the two Ys are getting a bit past it.

Of the two, only Dunk is in need of urgent replacement.

Anyway, that has nothing to do with Potter not returning. Which he will (not return).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here