[Football] Potter to West Ham?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
So did Bolton and Blackpool I am told. West Ham have been no more adventurous than anyone else for over 10 (or 20 or 30 +) years
Perhaps. But not how their fans feel or wider football pundits, I think they used to have a much publicised ‘academy’ when Ron Greenwood was manager, and a lot of it was on the back of the 66 World Cup….

You could argue that prior to Poyet and subsequently Potter and RdZ we weren’t known for any particular style.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
West Ham fans are like Chelsea’s, only more entitled! Good luck Graham, I wouldn’t wish that job on anyone. They’ll moan if you win them the Champions League. Amongst the worst fan bases anywhere. Toxic and deluded. Eternally unhappy.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
Whilst I think he was superb for us, I always wonder if other clubs will really give him the time we did to change things and make things happen, because we ignored some terrible runs that West Ham (or many bigger teams tbh) won’t ignore. He won’t get much time at West Ham, though more than he got at Chelsea. His talent is really bringing players through, do West Ham really want that?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
West Ham have been a special case since the days of Bobby Moore, then Trevor Brooking etc - in their eyes anyway😊
The Wet Sham Way.

Beat a second division side in a cup final.

Get relegated.

Rinse and repeat.

Not sure the angry builders who pay cut price rates for seats at the Olympic Stadium will have the patience for a non-goal scoring performance art project.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Whilst I think he was superb for us, I always wonder if other clubs will really give him the time we did to change things and make things happen, because we ignored some terrible runs that West Ham (or many bigger teams tbh) won’t ignore. He won’t get much time at West Ham, though more than he got at Chelsea. His talent is really bringing players through, do West Ham really want that?
I don't think he really achieved superb for us. He was heading that way and we could see the potential that he was working towards (this potential is now far closer to being realised with De Zerbi).

He will need to realise that potential far quicker at West Ham. Much like he didn't do at Chelsea.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Each club he's linked with I think 'nah, the fans will eat him alive'.
I reckon the England job is the only one he's really suited too.

I'm not sure he has the emotional intelligence to be a top flight football manager.
Is he really suited to the England job? It seems to me that Potter likes his players to know a range of systems and positions and to play well in those positions and systems takes time and experience to ge there (and accepting some struggle with results and performances while the squad learns them all).

When you get the players for a couple of weeks several times throughout the year, how much longer would this process be? Would the nation have the patience? Chelsea didn't. You also need the willingness of the players to buy into this and give their all even when they're not in their favoured position. Again, the chelsea players didn't. And part of that is a lack of respect for him. Top England stars have won the premier league, won champions leagues, europa, FA, League cup. What did Potter achieve?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
So did Bolton and Blackpool I am told. West Ham have been no more adventurous than anyone else for over 10 (or 20 or 30 +) years
They had some great players in 66… 58 years ago

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
They have been talking for months. This is the one and only time I can claim to be vaguely in the know.
Not doubting you as I know nothing about how professional football tapping up works… but I wonder how those convos go. When a fella is literally in that job… you just sound them out ‘would you potentially be interested?’ - then what’s there to talk about…

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I look forward to him giving West Ham fans a history lesson.

"You've won f#ck all for 5 decades of we don't count your recent shit Johnson Paints Trophy, (Minor European Clubs Edition)"

WHU won the only World Cup England have won though. The history lesson will go down well

Sacking Moyes imminently looks very knee jerk to me though

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Going to West Ham now is such a poor choice.

Chances are better jobs are coming up in the summer, it's only a few months away.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Not sure the angry builders who pay cut price rates for seats at the Olympic Stadium will have the patience for a non-goal scoring performance art project.

Nail on head. The Potter Experience felt exactly like a college art department reworking of Waiting for Godot.

Occasionally entertaining, mostly unfathomable, and all too often with a lack of end product.

Feed that to the average angry Hammers fan, and once the shock has worn off they’ll be howling for blood.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nail on head. The Potter Experience felt exactly like a college art department reworking of Waiting for Godot.

Occasionally entertaining, mostly unfathomable, and all too often with a lack of end product.

Feed that to the average angry Hammers fan, and once the shock has worn off they’ll be howling for blood.
I fear red-faced head explosions. I would post that exploding head vid from Scanners but I nearly got an infraction last time I posted it (I took it down after 5 minutes). Look it up. A balloon and red paint can be so ...... entertaining :lolol:

Ah.... f*** it.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Not doubting you as I know nothing about how professional football tapping up works… but I wonder how those convos go. When a fella is literally in that job… you just sound them out ‘would you potentially be interested?’ - then what’s there to talk about…
As I said only vaguely in the know but the discussions as I understand it have been about the long term project and what that looks like from both sides. I am guessing this next bit but I am assuming Potter is a bit burnt by what happened at Chelsea as he was also promised a project and got about a third of season.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
I fear red-faced head explosions. I would post that exploding head vid from Scanners but I nearly got an infraction last time I posted it (I took it down after 5 minutes). Look it up. A balloon and red paint can be so ...... entertaining :lolol:

Ah.... f*** it.

I’m picturing a kind of Mexican wave of exploding heads now. I hope there isn’t a neutral zone or we’ll all need the waterproof ponchos.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
As I said only vaguely in the know but the discussions as I understand it have been about the long term project and what that looks like from both sides. I am guessing this next bit but I am assuming Potter is a bit burnt by what happened at Chelsea as he was also promised a project and got about a third of season.
It’s mad though isn’t it..? Tapping someone up (which we all know goes on) for such a high profile job someone is already doing..!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports