Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Pop-up ads at bottom of page

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Is it supposed to be moving? It's not for me... Just a box with a static wavy line on top of it, with an ad inside. Not that I'm complaining.

On a completely separate note, do you know if it's possible to use the NSC Amazon affiliate link when using the Amazon shopping app, as a default rather than clicking the link each time? If I can set that up for the wife than NSC might see a significant increase in income...
I've just saved the affiliate link and made first purchase via it today.

I just need to remember to use the link I've saved going forward and not just type amazon into my search bar!

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Now Getting "Bad Request" when using the mobile, so I've had to crank up the old desktop.

"Size of a request header field exceeds server limit"

FIXED BY DELETING NSC COOKIES ON PHONE.

Last edited:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I can live with the wavy line it's just when the full page kept popping up every 10 seconds which hasn't happened since this morning luckily

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I’ve had to disable Opera’s default ad blocker settings for nsc - and yes it was a bit messy this morning… to be fair this site must be a nightmare to administer, so I’m easy enough about ads providing they don’t ruin my ability to drop Deep Purple or indeed adventure book references into my best work.

As for paying a subscription, I’d like to think it’s something we (the community) should consider.

I’d go for a bronze, silver, gold (car wash model)

Gold being where long-standing legends like me are available for one to one ‘chats’ music recommendations and all round roll neck derived witty conversation… naturally I’d be on the pay roll and charge an hourly rate for my valuable interactions.

Bronze (the free version) is where you’d find the likes of Dave the Eagle, typing in colourful large font, pop up ads at every click that would bring an array of increasingly bizarre advertising , inappropriate content and Palace club shop discount vouchers…

Yep, the more I think about it a level based system is the way forward - silver could feature a end of level boss - Swansman, where to enter the golden hall of endless joy your task is to get him to agree that GP is a very naughty boy… oh yes, you’ll need your wits and an unstoppable enthusiasm to break him… can it be done ? Well, ask yourself this… is Kosh already in the Gold zone ? (ooohhh we could call it the goldzone ground…) well, what say you?

Obviously gold represents an ad free, free paradise where endless fountains of champagne and knowledge pour forth akin to a spring tide ‘neath the glow of a new full moon.

Golden in the sand indeed.

More herbal tea required.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's not. Ad revenue, per 1,000 page views is lower than it's ever been, whilst site running costs are higher than they've ever been. This may be because I've not chased the more lucrative ad formats, primarily because lucrative tends to mean annoying.

I will be adding a voluntary paid option as, over the years, numerous people have asked if they can contribute, but....

1. It will absolutely be voluntary.
2. No-one will receive scaled-back functionality in any way.
3. ...but if donations enable some bells and whistles to be added to the site, they will be made available to donators either first or absolutely.
4. ...and donators will have a choice of ad-free templates.
Perfect!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230308_070858_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230308_070858_Chrome.jpg
    409.9 KB · Views: 52

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
What is the blue and white circle that appears on the bottom left hand corner of the display about.
Dare not click on it, in case it is an agreement to buy something or other !

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
What is the blue and white circle that appears on the bottom left hand corner of the display about.
I just clicked it and it said something about Admiral ads.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
The website is using an Admiral version of an ad Block wall (which stops people using ad blocks). The blue circle is so the user can set more targeted ads based on content and monitor ad appearance - I just ignore it ( its a nice seagull blue so doesn’t bother me too much)

@Bozza Great idea re subscription.

Maybe link a price scale for NSC subscription by tiering NSC subscription to reflect BHA STHs, Albion fan membership and non-Albion members? The same ‘ad free’ (ie just Amazon and one banner?) screen for every subscriber but a relative discount for BHA STHs, Albion + members who want to participate? That way NSC is reaffirming it’s support for the Club’s membership structure and as well as reflecting that NSC is primarily a fan targeted website, making the cheaper option available for heavier users of NSCers (which are more likely to be STHs or Albion +).

FindonFan

Jul 15, 2014
I am currently looking at 3 Disneyland adverts on my iPad screen (including the wavy one at the bottom of the page). This mess plus the recent change of format makes NSC barely worth logging on to.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Getting too much now, spoiled the site in my opinion.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230310-064356_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230310-064356_Chrome.jpg
    563.8 KB · Views: 42

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Re the above two posts, seriously?

It won't be covering half your screen, and if it is covering too much, that changes as you scroll post the static ads. The screen grab is very selective.

And all that aside, how did you think websites happen? At the moment, masses of content is free for you because it is subsidised by ads. That's the pay off. If you don't like ads, or you block them, the sites you love will die.

So what do you suggest? I think subscribers could get an ad free experience, the rest, you pay the price by tolerating ads.

You can't have your cake and eat it.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

It won't be covering half your screen, and if it is covering too much, that changes as you scroll post the static ads. The screen grab is very selective.

And all that aside, how did you think websites happen? At the moment, masses of content is free for you because it is subsidised by ads. That's the pay off. If you don't like ads, or you block them, the sites you love will die.

So what do you suggest? I think subscribers could get an ad free experience, the rest, you pay the price by tolerating ads.

The boss has just added you to his Christmas card list :wink: :moo:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Fundamentally, that's what it comes down to.

As I said somewhere further up on this thread, I know there are some people who despise any ads of any kind. There's no point me wasting my time nor there's by trying to have the discussion about why they are needed, as experience tells me they won't change their minds. Ads are evil and I'm fast-tracking my way to millionaire status through those thousandths of a penny that each banner may earn.

My intention has always been, and remains, to balance usability and bill-paying. The group I reference above will think I've got it wrong simply because they can see an ad on page. I don't always get it right, of course, and I'd never claim to. I think my tolerance for intrusive ads is pretty low which is why NSC doesn't have any I think of as intrusive, and I use the same setup with the same ads as everyone else.

There is one thing I'd like to improve, and I mentioned it in another post above, and that's how there can be too many ads on screen at the same time in certain circumstances, and that's when there are exactly 1 or 14 posts on a page, as those posts are followed by a banner and if there are no further posts when that thread is open, you also get the banner by the quick reply box. When a page has 5 or 18 or almost any other number of posts on the page, that doesn't happen. It's the task that is top of my list to look at this morning, and I will just as soon as I post this.

As for the new bottom banner on mobile, I found it jarring when I first put it on. A couple of days later and I don't even notice it. I scroll the site, with my eyes fixed above it. I've essentially already forgotten that it's there. Again, I appreciate not everyone will feel the same.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here