Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Plumbers : Plastic/pushfit or copper ?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
We're having the house done up and will be having a new boiler/radiators and other pipework.

My heart says copper, my wallet says plastic.

What's best ?

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Done right, has to be copper.
On a budget if you have too, then plastic where you can’t see it, copper where you can.

What will happen to all those rubber o’rings in years to come when they start to perish ???

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Done right, has to be copper.
On a budget if you have too, then plastic where you can’t see it, copper where you can.

What will happen to all those rubber o’rings in years to come when they start to perish ???

Surely it should be the other way round then? Plastic where you can get at it to replace the perishing rings (where you can see it) and copper where you can't !?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Solder unions also go dry in time, and with plastic there are less unions to leak :lolol:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
We're having the house done up and will be having a new boiler/radiators and other pipework.

My heart says copper, my wallet says plastic.

What's best ?

I wonder whether asking questions of NSC's plumbers at 6.45 is a little optimistic ? I understand that breakfast finishes sometime between 10 and 11 :wink:

* it's a joke, I have always had excellent advice from the regulars on here

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Professional opinion - copper.

Plastic looks diy when on show, the fittings are more expensive than end feed copper fittings, rodents can nibble through plastic pipe and fittings.
Plastic pipe is obviously cheaper than copper and easier to fit under floorboards and quicker to join.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
New builds are smashed out in plastic from what I’ve seen, what can go wrong ??? One job the newly decorated show house resembled a shower when the plumber applied mains pressure.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Copper on show, plastic everywhere else, obviously if you can afford to go copper everywhere do that but it's not necessary

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
From an electrical point of view, best to go all copper for ease of bonding.

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Plastic much better these days, copper is going to cost you.

Copper ends for rads

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer

Plastic looks diy when on show, the fittings are more expensive than end feed copper fittings, rodents can nibble through plastic pipe and fittings.
Plastic pipe is obviously cheaper than copper and easier to fit under floorboards and quicker to join.

And plastic is a lot easier for a plasterboard fitter to accidentally put a nail through which you may not find out about immediately....

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Run plastic off a reel in white, it's possible to have no joins apart from at the rad valves, only issue is they can get chewed through by rodents.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Lots good advice here.
I'll add that i've only ever had one plastic fitting 'blow off' (Equator if anyone remembers them..) and a Brixton squirrel eat a JS fitting (not pipe) - If installer fits them correctly, with inserts, and well supported, then can really help when getting across joists etc.

The inserts on 22mm speedie make a bore smaller than 15mm copper, which on mains (other than direct to appliance) can really knock flow rates, and as we plan/install for heat pumps, we also want to keep up flow to rads (less temp, less area, less energy etc)

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

... rodents can nibble through plastic pipe and fittings.
My friend came back from holiday to find her house flooded. Luckily, Wrong Direction came to the rescue, and showed us the little teeth marks from mice that had gnawed through a plastic pipe which caused the problem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here