Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] PL aiming for fans in grounds for last two games

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
There's no chance we'll have had a double vaccine, let alone no guarantee. However, the original schedule meant only the final game was post the relevant lockdown easing step (it's not specific to football) - which was deemed unfair, so the penultimate set of games are potentially being moved later into that time period so each team gets a home game with fans. It's max 25% of capacity and will be by STH ballot - so how will the younger generation be 'in attendance en masse' ?? If it's 'ridiculous', then so is the rest of lockdown easing on that basis - which other bits do you want to pick and choose ?

Only one seat in 4 in use, masks worn, outdoors. You're far more likely to catch Covid at the corner shop.

For the sake of one or two matches. Why run that risk of that many people massing in one place.

I don't see it is necessary. I would just rather wait until the start of next season.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
For the sake of one or two matches. Why run that risk of that many people massing in one place.

I don't see it is necessary. I would just rather wait until the start of next season.

This.

Why risk anything that could help bring another CV19 wave and soul/economy destroying restrictions.

When is your cut-off date then ? This isn’t a football decision, it’s all sporting events from that date. Football is just working around it. The clubs are DESPERATE to have even a few fans in....imagine the players are too. There will be dozens of events where transmission will be far more likely from that date.

What would the reaction be if the PL said ‘thanks Boris but we’re going to stay closed - our fans can all go to the racing/cricket/golf/tennis/theatre/cinema/pub/hotel/restaurant etc etc instead’ ?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
When is your cut-off date then ? This isn’t a football decision, it’s all sporting events from that date. Football is just working around it. The clubs are DESPERATE to have even a few fans in....imagine the players are too. There will be dozens of events where transmission will be far more likely from that date.

What would the reaction be if the PL said ‘thanks Boris but we’re going to stay closed - our fans can all go to the racing/cricket/golf/tennis/theatre/cinema/pub/hotel/restaurant etc etc instead’ ?

It’s not anti football thing for me. I feel the same about big crowds per se.

10,000 gatherings - on the concourses, buses and trains, if that exceeds the excellent English Roadmap we’re following, it shouldn’t happen.

The consensus from all scientists is that we’re cautiously following the science this time.

Let’s not do anything to bring back a devastating further load of restrictions, it would destroy businesses and mental wellbeing.

By mid August almost all over 15’s would’ve have had two vaccinations.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Couldn’t think of much worse, a socially distanced event with two thirds of seats empty organised by rules loving disciplinarian Barber

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It’s not anti football thing for me. I feel the same about big crowds per se.

10,000 gatherings - on the concourses, buses and trains, if that exceeds the excellent English Roadmap we’re following, it shouldn’t happen.

The consensus from all scientists is that we’re cautiously following the science this time.

Let’s not do anything to bring back a devastating further load of restrictions, it would destroy businesses and mental wellbeing.

By mid August almost all over 15’s would’ve have had two vaccinations.

.........but sports events explicitly covered in the roadmap with clear restrictions on numbers and drawn up with the scientists and which is carefully laid out taking progress with vaccinations into account at each stage. A very, very high % of those likely to end up in hospital if they catch Covid are already protected from serious illness. You’re basically saying you don’t support the roadmap but we should wait until everyone has had two jabs. Football isn’t going to anything outside what the roadmap allows.

Football can’t go it alone and delay longer or more strictly than the (science-based) roadmap sets out. I completely get that many won’t be prepared to do what they’re allowed to do - that’s personal choice and is fine. Personally I’ll be going for a pub lunch on April 12th and if I can get a ticket for our ritual humiliation by the oil billionaires I will.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
.........but sports events explicitly covered in the roadmap with clear restrictions on numbers and drawn up with the scientists and which is carefully laid out taking progress with vaccinations into account at each stage. A very, very high % of those likely to end up in hospital if they catch Covid are already protected from serious illness. You’re basically saying you don’t support the roadmap but we should wait until everyone has had two jabs. Football isn’t going to anything outside what the roadmap allows.

Football can’t go it alone and delay longer or more strictly than the (science-based) roadmap sets out. I completely get that many won’t be prepared to do what they’re allowed to do - that’s personal choice and is fine. Personally I’ll be going for a pub lunch on April 12th and if I can get a ticket for our ritual humiliation by the oil billionaires I will.

I’m relaxed about either eventuality. It’s mid March, so many bridges for the nation to cross before we get there, and football fixtures, without wishing my life away.

I trust the scientists as always and hope that Boris sticks to whatever they advise.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

if we were sitting in mid season my cut off time might be very different but because the planned resumption is only a couple of weeks before there is a natural 2 month break for the ''close season'' I don't see any reason not to take advantage of that extra 2 months

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
if we were sitting in mid season my cut off time might be very different but because the planned resumption is only a couple of weeks before there is a natural 2 month break for the ''close season'' I don't see any reason not to take advantage of that extra 2 months

There is no extra two months though. There may be two months where there are no league games but the rest of society is opening up more and more during those two months. It isn't just football allowing fans to return but all sports, indoor entertainment venues, music gigs, theatre etc are all due to reopen on the government roadmap, the plan is to have fans at the Euro games happening in the UK this summer. Football clubs delaying the return of fans will make zero difference to what could potentially happen once restrictions are dropped.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Agree.

My first jab is next week and second in June. Think I can wait to next season for football rather than see Man City beat us again.

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
Well if we aren't safe by then we'll be done for, with our final two games being hom to Manchestar City and away to the Arsenal.

I do admire your optimism though! I think we'll be ok before then . . . hopefully.

My reading of the article is that game 36 (11 and 12 May) is moved to after game 38 . We have West Ham at home on 11 May so, if this option is selected, our last game is Home to West Ham :). Could be a very important game, and much better than having Man City, again, as the last home game.

I have my 2nd Covid vaccination booked for 23 May, so I'd be up for cheering us on (quietly with a face covering obviously) at the Amex. Those season ticket holders not in favour don't have to take up any ballot offer, as per the previous games last season.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Agree.

My first jab is next week and second in June. Think I can wait to next season for football rather than see Man City beat us again.

This is where I am (same dates for jabs, too).

I’ve got through this so far. I’m not taking a silly risk with the finish line in sight. May is too early for me to be going to a mass gathering of any sort. That said, I still feel like I’m the only person who has any concept of how far 2 metres is every time I venture out, so am being extra cautious.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I can understand the concerns of those that think it's unwise to do this for the last couple of games and I must admit I am a little undecided at the moment but,the pubs will be open and I would feel much safer at the amex than watching the game in a pub in town.
and also I think the boffins will be looking at getting some data from the 2 matches to gauge how to proceed at the start of next season.
Letting in 10,000 (who will all be tagged and labelled and therefore easier to track and trace)as we approach what is seen to be a low risk time of the year with regards to the weather will be very useful information to look at over the summer and assess how many can return as we start next season heading into what is a more risky time for transmissions and infections.
But from a Brighton point of view it will be very strange experience.
It will either be a euphoric"I was there moment"as we secured safety or a depressed,dejected and confused looking set of fans that the TV cameras zoom in on and beam the faces of a few unfortunate fans around the globe,or worse still would there be some embarrassing fisticuffs between those that want to support the team to victory and those that want to go and lay into potter or the team.
Hopefully we will be in a better position by then and it won't matter too much but even if it goes to the last game,I think I would rather be there at the ground rather than listening on the radio.
But as others have said,may is a long way away in covid times so we will have to see what happens.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
My reading of the article is that game 36 (11 and 12 May) is moved to after game 38 . We have West Ham at home on 11 May so, if this option is selected, our last game is Home to West Ham :). Could be a very important game, and much better than having Man City, again, as the last home game.

I have my 2nd Covid vaccination booked for 23 May, so I'd be up for cheering us on (quietly with a face covering obviously) at the Amex. Those season ticket holders not in favour don't have to take up any ballot offer, as per the previous games last season.

It's very unlikely they will go on later than the current end date of the season due to the proximity of the Euros starting on June 11th.

The plan is either to move game 36 to the following midweek, so in between our games against Man City and Arsenal, or move game 36 to the weekend of 15th and 16th and then have game 37 played midweek 18th/19th.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

I’ve got through this so far. I’m not taking a silly risk with the finish line in sight. May is too early for me to be going to a mass gathering of any sort. That said, I still feel like I’m the only person who has any concept of how far 2 metres is every time I venture out, so am being extra cautious.

4 family members had Covid just before Christmas, luckily I didn’t come into contact with any, apart from work I haven’t been anywhere for months.
I didn’t know of anyone personally that had Covid up until the end of 2020.
When lockdown finished last year I did go to some non league matches but some people didn’t have a clue about 2 meters

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

An Explanation of 2 metres

https://twitter.com/janeygodley/status/1275411267109388289?lang=en

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That still seems unlikely. I’m in the 55-60 group and my second jab is in June.

Same here, 8th June.

Some scientists in a radio interview this week said the vaccination programme is accelerating away, big new centres are still being opened and that everyone of all age groups would’ve had their first jab by 30 June. But wisely the 4 governments and public health heads are still dampening expectations.

At the same time the second jab programme will shortly hit big numbers.

We might be pleasantly surprised.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here