Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] PBOBE to join Roberto De Zerbi for his post-Man Utd press conference

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hughton was sacked. :shrug:

I'm not sure that:

Bloom: Oh hi Chris, I'm afraid you're being sacked. Fancy taking the match against Man City tomorrow anyway?

would have gone down very well.
It was just so sad that we never got a proper chance to say our farewells to Chris Hughton. Not sure how the club could have handled things differently back then, but Hughton was a decent man and deserved better. Fair play to the club for letting RDZ have the stage yesterday - tho Bloom and Barber must have been squirming somewhat at the thought of handing RDZ an open mic. In the end tho it was handled with class and good grace by all concerned. Respect :clap2:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Coldwaltham Seagull

Mar 8, 2024
Or more accurately, growing the profile of the club which is one of his jobs.

that's his job to be the face of the club ! ?

Perhaps. I'm merely pointing out an observation and not commenting on whether PB does an excellent job or not overall- I think he does. However, that and the amount of time he spends putting himself in the media are not mutually exclusive.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'm not sure about touting for a job but its undeniable that Barber has been putting himself out into the media frequently in the last year with tv interviews, podcast appearances, radio chats etc.
Its not. He's been giving long interviews with the press, appearing in public , media interviews, throughout his decade or so at the club - for example he was one of the most visible football adminstrators in the media during the first few months of Covid or after Hughton was sacked or when were promoted - its his job.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Very dignified reply at the end, clearly a breakdown in the way he wanted to move forward possibly with more say over transfers and Tony not budging. Liked what he said at the end, about not forgetting Tony.
Yes, that was a nice note to end on. The truth now seems to have laced up it's boots and it does seem to be a fairly prosaic story about people not being able to find a compromise over working methods despite having great respect for each other. Very un-football and not particularly newsworthy or exciting but then that's usually the case with us. So thanks Roberto and team - we move on.

Does anybody have the number for an available, inspirational, tactically flexible coach, who works empathetically with young players, but is used to working in an environment where he has had to accept the inevitability that they will move on?

All of this was said before he took the Saudi cash, so it might be sensible to take it with a pinch of salt, but there is something very Tony Bloom about the philosophy expressed in that piece. We couldn't, could we?

Coldwaltham Seagull

Mar 8, 2024
Its not. He's been giving long interviews with the press, appearing in public , media interviews, throughout his decade or so at the club - for example he was one of the most visible football adminstrators in the media during the first few months of Covid or after Hughton was sacked or when were promoted - its his job.
Was it also his job to appear on 'Britain's most expensive houses'?

As I've said before, he is undoubtedly very good at his job- that doesn't make him immune to criticism or character flaws though

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm not sure about touting for a job but its undeniable that Barber has been putting himself out into the media frequently in the last year with tv interviews, podcast appearances, radio chats etc.

Great at what he does, undoubtedly, but there's quite clearly a bit of an attention hungry and dare I say vain streak in there.
I'm just referring to what the other guy said.

As for putting himself out there, that's literally part of his job - and how journalism works. Outlet asks for interview with Paul Barber, Paul Barber speaks to outlet. Referring back to the reasons I mentioned before, apart from TB, there's no-one better within the club to speak to the press!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Perhaps. I'm merely pointing out an observation and not commenting on whether PB does an excellent job or not overall- I think he does. However, that and the amount of time he spends putting himself in the media are not mutually exclusive.
But he doesn't put himself in the media! They ask and the club delivers.

Coldwaltham Seagull

Mar 8, 2024
But he doesn't put himself in the media! They ask and the club delivers.
The media is a two way street, if you think we as a club/individual's within that club have never used the media for our own benefit and purely to just be really nice/say yes to a few journalists that's fairly short sighted.

I'll repeat myself again. Paul Barber is VERY good at his job, perhaps the best around. But there are times where his media appearances seem to be more benefit to his personal profile than to us as fans or as a club

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Yes, that was a nice note to end on. The truth now seems to have laced up it's boots and it does seem to be a fairly prosaic story about people not being able to find a compromise over working methods despite having great respect for each other. Very un-football and not particularly newsworthy or exciting but then that's usually the case with us. So thanks Roberto and team - we move on.

Does anybody have the number for an available, inspirational, tactically flexible coach, who works empathetically with young players, but is used to working in an environment where he has had to accept the inevitability that they will move on?

All of this was said before he took the Saudi cash, so it might be sensible to take it with a pinch of salt, but there is something very Tony Bloom about the philosophy expressed in that piece. We couldn't, could we?
My dream choice. He was sacked a week ago by the Saudis and supposedly hated it there so that's good enough for me.

He will either be the manager of Barcelona or AC Milan by the sounds of it.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022

Great at what he does, undoubtedly, but there's quite clearly a bit of an attention hungry and dare I say vain streak in there.
It’s strange to me you see this as a bad thing. I think his media visibility is great for the club. We must be one of the only clubs that have an owner and CEO who actually come talk to us and tell us what’s happening. They are pretty transparent and communicative in the main. I think it’s really positive.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I agree, but it also seems that ever since he joined, in June 2012, you have been on NSC, defending any and all criticism of PBOBE, and before he was appointed here, your account didn't exist. If your posts were not so short, I would have to assume you were he.

Coldwaltham Seagull

Mar 8, 2024
It’s strange to me you see this as a bad thing. I think his media visibility is great for the club. We must be one of the only clubs that have an owner and CEO who actually come talk to us and tell us what’s happening. They are pretty transparent and communicative in the main. I think it’s really positive.
Perhaps I'm in the minority on this one- which possibly means I'm in the wrong.

I take no issue with being transparent and communicative in the running of the club, I was just highlighting there are times when the benefit feels more weighted to making PB look great than to being particularly communicative. Take the example of a previous poster about being 'visible' during promotion or appearing on a podcast to talk about how great he is at his own job

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
My dream choice. He was sacked a week ago by the Saudis and supposedly hated it there so that's good enough for me.

He will either be the manager of Barcelona or AC Milan by the sounds of it.
We'll see if there is any truth in those rumours. To be honest it would be a bold step appointing a coach who has never worked in Europe, but his record in Argentina is so good that he'd have to be coming in somewhere fairly big. If we were interested, whilst we're obviously not in the same league as those two in terms of history etc. bizarrely the financial draw of the EPL and the reputation of Tony Bloom might make our chances not unrealistic. (Like many things about the Albion over recent times, I can't believe I've just written that).

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
No sign of Barber - sound quality is much better on this version than the one I posted earlier

It's a very sad interview. You can see that he is gutted to be leaving, but if he couldn't align with Tony's vision, then we have to side with Tony. I'm sure RDZ would say the same.

I wish him well, but I think it's the right course of action for all parties.

And when he does come back, he'll get a fantastic reception.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Was it also his job to appear on 'Britain's most expensive houses'?

As I've said before, he is undoubtedly very good at his job- that doesn't make him immune to criticism or character flaws though
This is true of anyone, and one's attitude to anyone.

But why bother bringing it up?

Is there really any need to point out that Barber often benefits personally from the things he does?

Especially as if this is 'criticism' of 'character flaws'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here