Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] PBOBE to join Roberto De Zerbi for his post-Man Utd press conference

Coldwaltham Seagull

Mar 8, 2024
The guy who has been at the club for over a decade and signed a new long-term contract? He's touting himself to people for a job, is he?

Yeah, OK then!
I'm not sure about touting for a job but its undeniable that Barber has been putting himself out into the media frequently in the last year with tv interviews, podcast appearances, radio chats etc.

Great at what he does, undoubtedly, but there's quite clearly a bit of an attention hungry and dare I say vain streak in there.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I'm not sure about touting for a job but its undeniable that Barber has been putting himself out into the media frequently in the last year with tv interviews, podcast appearances, radio chats etc.

Great at what he does, undoubtedly, but there's quite clearly a bit of an attention hungry and dare I say vain streak in there.
Or more accurately, growing the profile of the club which is one of his jobs.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
It’s pretty remarkable, and to the club’s enormous credit, that managers leave - in various circumstances - with zero public acrimony. Even with Poyet (where things clearly completely broke down), the end was dealt with incredibly professionally.
Things have obviously been pretty rocky with RDZ for months…but the club have managed the parting of the ways so well.

Perhaps the only regret is that Hughton could have been given a last match send-off, too.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
That's classy. I'll miss him. It's a shame it had to end, but it had to end.

Reading between the lines, and taking into account the comments he has previously made about transfers not being his business, Barco not being ready etc. I'm getting the impression that 'my way' to him doesn't necessarily mean spending loads, but it does mean fundamentally having more say in who is signed. Brighton's way seems to be that for all intents and purposes, the data identifies the players and the manager is given them and asked to coach them. That's our USP: work different, because otherwise we can't compete on the uneven financial playing field. That model had developed the team he was happy to come and work with.

We were unwilling/unable to change the model to allow him the control that he's after, because the model requires that, in the event of one person leaving, the wider machine must still function. It cannot contain a coach who wants the level of control that he seems to require because there is a good chance that a successful performer in that role will move on relatively quickly from a club with our resources. It's my impression that RDZ wants Ferguson levels of control over all aspects of the playing side. That's harder to find in modern football because these monolithic businesses cannot risk that. Even if the model is successful, when that person goes, they risk becoming today's Man Utd.

It seems that we tried to accommodate him because he is a remarkable coach, but we just couldn't. He may struggle to find a club at the top level that can. One with unlimited resources might have more chance. I kind of hope he does, because he will probably produce something incredible. However, I can't hope that he finds such a club in this country. It would hurt too much being too close to it and I have no love for any of those at which it might work.

Our model remains. We will sign youth and will look for another coach who can develop and inspire. We will employ experience to balance and to help teach. It's less romantic than the maverick telling us that we can do it and dragging us all to glory with his belief, but it's a long term plan that requires that no individual is bigger than the group. We leapt and touched the stars and it was magnificent, but we now have to get back to building the stairs.
Very well put, thanks 👍

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It’s pretty remarkable, and to the club’s enormous credit, that managers leave - in various circumstances - with zero public acrimony. Even with Poyet (where things clearly completely broke down), the end was dealt with incredibly professionally.
Things have obviously been pretty rocky with RDZ for months…but the club have managed the parting of the ways so well.

Perhaps the only regret is that Hughton could have been given a last match send-off, too.
TB/PB learned from the Hughton ending that we should have had the opportunity to give him a send-off, so didn’t make the same mistake again.

Mad as my Mother

May 21, 2013
Dorset

Reading between the lines, and taking into account the comments he has previously made about transfers not being his business, Barco not being ready etc. I'm getting the impression that 'my way' to him doesn't necessarily mean spending loads, but it does mean fundamentally having more say in who is signed. Brighton's way seems to be that for all intents and purposes, the data identifies the players and the manager is given them and asked to coach them. That's our USP: work different, because otherwise we can't compete on the uneven financial playing field. That model had developed the team he was happy to come and work with.

We were unwilling/unable to change the model to allow him the control that he's after, because the model requires that, in the event of one person leaving, the wider machine must still function. It cannot contain a coach who wants the level of control that he seems to require because there is a good chance that a successful performer in that role will move on relatively quickly from a club with our resources. It's my impression that RDZ wants Ferguson levels of control over all aspects of the playing side. That's harder to find in modern football because these monolithic businesses cannot risk that. Even if the model is successful, when that person goes, they risk becoming today's Man Utd.

It seems that we tried to accommodate him because he is a remarkable coach, but we just couldn't. He may struggle to find a club at the top level that can. One with unlimited resources might have more chance. I kind of hope he does, because he will probably produce something incredible. However, I can't hope that he finds such a club in this country. It would hurt too much being too close to it and I have no love for any of those at which it might work.

Our model remains. We will sign youth and will look for another coach who can develop and inspire. We will employ experience to balance and to help teach. It's less romantic than the maverick telling us that we can do it and dragging us all to glory with his belief, but it's a long term plan that requires that no individual is bigger than the group. We leapt and touched the stars and it was magnificent, but we now have to get back to building the stairs.
Fantastic post.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
TB/PB learned from the Hughton ending that we should have had the opportunity to give him a send-off, so didn’t make the same mistake again.
Hughton was sacked. :shrug:

I'm not sure that:

Bloom: Oh hi Chris, I'm afraid you're being sacked. Fancy taking the match against Man City tomorrow anyway?

would have gone down very well.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

that's his job to be the face of the club ! ?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Do we have any top talent worth selling?
Good question..... most of them were injured so hopefully will be ignored. Mitoma and March probably would been targets if they had had a whole season. Think Gross will any go if he wants to but I don't think there's anyone who will be poached by the big guns. No one played enough games. Van Hecke maybe.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Spot on.

Shame about some of the adrenaline-fuelled emoting of the last couple of days (and I don't exclude myself from criticism). Still struggling to come to terms why anyone would start a thread that questions Mr Bloom's honesty - in the thread title FFS - but anyway....I will try to move on. Give it till Thursday.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Hughton was sacked. :shrug:

I'm not sure that:

Bloom: Oh hi Chris, I'm afraid you're being sacked. Fancy taking the match against Man City tomorrow anyway?

would have gone down very well.
I'd be interested to know whether they'd have taken the same approach this time if relegation or Europe or something like that was riding on the game.

Although even as it was there's a few million quid for the PL places potentially down the swanny if they thought the players might play worse knowing it's the manager's last game.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Is it? I'm not sure I could name more than one or two other PL CEOs (or that I'm 100% certain who our previous one was)
Thats because the Chairman normally does it, ours is generally out of the country and passes those jobs to Paul. ( deputy chairman )

On top of that everyone is always after him for interview because " we are such a well run club"

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Is it? I'm not sure I could name more than one or two other PL CEOs (or that I'm 100% certain who our previous one was)
That probably suggests he's doing his job better than them then doesn't it? :lolol:

Seriously though, you could probably name somebody with the equivalent responsibility at most of the PL clubs, in some of them the owners take a more public facing role.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The guy who has been at the club for over a decade and signed a new long-term contract? He's touting himself to people for a job, is he?

Yeah, OK then!
Careful - too much indignation and you be accused of making slurs.

The right to hold an opinion without qualification (both meanings of the word) seems to be part of our unwritten constitution.

Reading some of the stuff posted about the club and manager over the last couple of days one can see why we may end up with another full steam ahead 5 years of Sunak and chums.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
But that's garbage though. He could have shut down rumours plenty of times, he decided not to. He should have said that hisnfocus was on this season. There are multiple reports that his agents met other clubs, recently having an 8 hour meeting with Bayern Munich.
What is he supposed to say, I have no interest in joining Bayern Munich or Liverpool or Manchester United?

He's said several times he's happy here as long as the board back him and want him.

They did not. End of story.

We as a club have a policy not to comment on transfer rumours. Why would it be any different for a manager or any other member of staff?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here