Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul barber obe and Tony Bloom

Talby

Dec 24, 2023
Sussex
Well I'm not. Not for my reaction to that thread. As for 'what Tony has done'........what has he done exactly? Sacked the manager in the nicest possible way.

Ian Wright totally gets it, as his comments on MOTD attest.

It seemed like there was a lot of piggy backing onto what had the smell of a trope, yesterday. The digging into the owner has no rational explanation. Well, I say no rational explanation. But perhaps it was all coincidence.

And if I wrongly dragged @Talby in, I apologize for that.
That decidedly nasty slur was unpleasant and misplaced. Really scraping the barrel.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
We might do a “Leicester” as a one off but there is little chance of us challenging the “top 6 or 7” on a regular basis unless we sell our soul as most of those clubs have.
The hope is enough for me, coupled with a sense that the longer we consolidate in EPL the more chance we have of winning a cup and playing in Europe.
If we get in to Europe again which I doubt, we would have the same problem, you need a deeper squad to cope , and the club don’t want to get in the players to do that

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
While we didn't spend in January (despite trying to spend £40m on Dewsbury-Hall), I don't think we had a terrible window last summer. Yes we lost MacAllister and Caicedo, but we bought in:
  • Pedro - 20 goals this season
  • Verbruggen - now Dutch number 1. RDZ rotated him with Steele. I won't miss this rotation of GKs nonsense.
  • Igor - solid this season, and played both centre back & left back
  • Baleba - not trusted by RDZ, but when he played recently he seemed to win MotM 50% of the time! Now back on the bench. Big player next season IMO.
  • Fati - failure, wanted to by RDZ
  • Dahoud - failure, wanted by RDZ (personally I thought he was ok, but never got a look-in after his red card).
There seems to be this narrative that we didn't have a good window last summer. I don't buy it.

Also, in January we bought in Barco and Ibrahim Osman who both look to have real talent.
According to a few sources us not trying to spend £40m was the problem with Leicester and KDH.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That decidedly nasty slur was unpleasant and misplaced. Really scraping the barrel.
Hang on a bit. What slur? My original comment (not my reply to you) was not a slur.

If you can't take an apology, you know what to do :shrug:

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
Well I'm not. Not for my reaction to that thread. As for 'what Tony has done'........what has he done exactly? Sacked the manager in the nicest possible way.

Ian Wright totally gets it, as his comments on MOTD attest.

It seemed like there was a lot of piggy backing onto what had the smell of a trope, yesterday. The digging into the owner has no rational explanation. Well, I say no rational explanation. But perhaps it was all coincidence.

And if I wrongly dragged @Talby in, I apologize for that.

Of course having a go at Bloom has a rational explanation, he’s just sacked one of our most popular and successful managers. I understand and support what Tony has done but I can also easily see why he might be criticised by people who think he’s done the wrong thing.

The posts such as the type on X are awful and rightly called out and should have been banned on that platform but they were clearly antisemitic in nature. You have taken posts that are unrelated to NSC and run wild with it in your head, extrapolating that any criticism of Tony must be antisemitism based and not for the perfectly normal and actual reason, that he is the owner of the club who has just made a controversial decision in sacking the manager.

Nothing Telby wrote was at all anti-Semitic nature, it didn’t mentioned or insinuate anything towards Tony being Jewish at all and you didn’t “wrongly drag him in” you openly and deliberately accused him of antisemitism.

Talby

Dec 24, 2023
Sussex
Of course having a go at Bloom has a rational explanation, he’s just sacked one of our most popular and successful managers. I understand and support what Tony has done but I can also easily see why he might be criticised by people who think he’s done the wrong thing.

The posts such as the type on X are awful and rightly called out and should have been banned on that platform but they were clearly antisemitic in nature. You have taken posts that are unrelated to NSC and run wild with it in your head, extrapolating that any criticism of Tony must be antisemitism based and not for the perfectly normal and actual reason, that he is the owner of the club who has just made a controversial decision in sacking the manager.

Nothing Telby wrote was at all anti-Semitic nature, it didn’t mentioned or insinuate anything towards Tony being Jewish at all and you didn’t “wrongly drag him in” you openly and deliberately accused him of antisemitism.
If any criticism of TB is similar to that levelled against any other person in a similar role it cannot be regarded as antisemitic. You can’t just bring his faith into it as an argument or condemnation of criticism. I’ve never inferred anything regarding TB’s faith - I don’t see that it’s got anything to do with footballing decisions or anything to concern or bother me.

Given that the club don’t push this part of TB’s personal life and also put out Eid Mubarak messages to supporters it’s a bit laughable to then think i think that someone’s faith determines their decision making. It’s a cheap shot and wholly unnecessary.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The anti semetic slur.

Why the constant agitation from you? Offer an apology then tell me I can stick it.
What Anti-Semitic slur?

Are you accusing me of being Anti-Semitic?

The post I made that seems to have got a few people's goat was in reference to a thread that suggested Mr Bloom is dishonest, in its title. Rather than directly accuse the OP of antisemitism I mooted the notion in a post that some people seem to have misunderstood. The narrative appears to have become lost after that, with a couple of people posting huffy puffy indignant comments, demanding I be banned, etc.

Something you posted may have been caught up in that, and my reply may well have been rude. I was in high dudgeon at the time.

I offered you an apology and you rammed it back down my throat.

OK, I will rewind back to the beginning.....

The thread suggesting Bloom is dishonest is a disgrace, in my opinion. Say it about any other leader in any other context and people would think you're mad. Many of the replies on that thread indicate they do think the OP is mad. He has a history of very odd posting and I one put him on ignore, but relented in the end because his heart seems to be in the right place and most of what he posts is interesting.

That said not everyone shares my suspicion about the motivation of the OP of the 'dishonest Bloom' thread. My suspicion is casual anti Semitism. Nothing considered, but it doesn't have to be considered. Others (people I respect) consider that I'm wrong and am reading too much into it. Fair enough, I will leave it there.

So to anyone (including you) who feels they have been offended (or indeed unfairly poked at and prodded) by me, I apologize. It appears I was wrong, and that it is a perfectly innocent and reasonable thing to start a thread on NSC questioning the honesty of Mr Barber.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
yes and no. do i trust any decision that they are going to make, knowing their track record and knowing, unlike certain owners, they have the best interests of the club at heart? absolutely. are they ever going to make mistakes and get those decisions wrong from time to time? also absolutely, everyone makes mistakes and it’s delusional to suggest otherwise.

everyone knows what this is all about really, how much money are they willing to spend in the summer? what de zerbi’s departure does say is that they weren’t willing to buy him the exact players he wanted, not that the money wasn’t available. which is absolutely fine, because, even if we had given him the code to the safe, these are players that we would still be stuck with after de zerbi would inevitably leave due to being poached by a bigger club.
It’s also not just about the money. If the Athletic article is correct, we have De Zerbi what he wanted in Dahoud, Fati and Igor, even though they didn’t come via our ‘usual’ recruitment channels. Whereas ‘our’ model delivered Pedro, Baleba (work in progress admittedly) and Barco. If RDZ wasn’t humble enough to recognise that his way didn’t work and to trust our system, then the right call has been made.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It’s also not just about the money. If the Athletic article is correct, we have De Zerbi what he wanted in Dahoud, Fati and Igor, even though they didn’t come via our ‘usual’ recruitment channels. Whereas ‘our’ model delivered Pedro, Baleba (work in progress admittedly) and Barco. If RDZ wasn’t humble enough to recognise that his way didn’t work and to trust our system, then the right call has been made.
And worse still wanted to send Barco straight out on loan! Even the ardent RDZ lickers would agree he was one of the only bright stars in the last 10 games of so

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
So to anyone (including you) who feels they have been offended (or indeed unfairly poked at and prodded) by me, I apologize. It appears I was wrong, and that it is a perfectly innocent and reasonable thing to start a thread on NSC questioning the honesty of Mr Barber.

With that kind of non-apology, you could be a Tory cabinet minister 🤣

If Telby was the author of either that thread or this one you would be justified in having a go, but he’s not. He hasn’t done anything which warrants this at all.

Talby

Dec 24, 2023
Sussex
What Anti-Semitic slur?

Are you accusing me of being Anti-Semitic?

The post I made that seems to have got a few people's goat was in reference to a thread that suggested Mr Bloom is dishonest, in its title. Rather than directly accuse the OP of antisemitism I mooted the notion in a post that some people seem to have misunderstood. The narrative appears to have become lost after that, with a couple of people posting huffy puffy indignant comments, demanding I be banned, etc.

Something you posted may have been caught up in that, and my reply may well have been rude. I was in high dudgeon at the time.

I offered you an apology and you rammed it back down my throat.

OK, I will rewind back to the beginning.....

The thread suggesting Bloom is dishonest is a disgrace, in my opinion. Say it about any other leader in any other context and people would think you're mad. Many of the replies on that thread indicate they do think the OP is mad. He has a history of very odd posting and I one put him on ignore, but relented in the end because his heart seems to be in the right place and most of what he posts is interesting.

That said not everyone shares my suspicion about the motivation of the OP of the 'dishonest Bloom' thread. My suspicion is casual anti Semitism. Nothing considered, but it doesn't have to be considered. Others (people I respect) consider that I'm wrong and am reading too much into it. Fair enough, I will leave it there.

Well, if you’re going to accuse me of a hate crime then I don’t know why you wouldn’t expect some push back.

No one is beyond criticism and there seems to be an aura / controlling factor that doesn’t allow PB and or TB to be criticised. Not on here, in the local press etc. nothing is ever that perfect and people should be able to raise things reasonably and be responded to respectfully.

Just because you don’t feel it doesn’t mean it’s not right.

I understand your position, that’s a view you’re entitled to. But the inference of anti semitism is irrational, unwarranted and unpleasant.

Should you be banned from here? Yes, no doubt in my mind as your being disingenuous and effectively trying to silence others using someone’s faith as a reason. In the current climate that’s abysmal.
With that kind of non-apology, you could be a Tory cabinet minister 🤣

If Telby was the author of either that thread or this one you would be justified in having a go, but he’s not. He hasn’t done anything which warrants this at all.
Thank you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here