Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Pascal Groß the raumdeuter

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
My favourite player of our premier league era. So versatile and still contributing with goals, assists and creating chances. He has provided us some of the most iconic moments of the last five seasons, the first Premier league goals, the man United winner to stay up. The Newcastle goal to essentially keep us up, the wonderful third against Man U in May and even the goal against West Ham that secured our highest ever finish.

He is massively underrated by some on here which is a shame as he should go down as one of our finest players.
This.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
My brother often reminisces that in the 4th Division championship year Bobby Smith just used to point to where his colleagues should run to and put a goal on a plate for them…… slight exaggeration, probably, but…..

And he was probably holding a pint at the time.

I can remember Zamora doing much the same in his first stint with us. Showing others where he was going to put the ball for them.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So he wants a song for himself apparently…

Nice and simple

He turns like Cruyff my lord, yes he does, He turns like Cruyff ,my lord…
Oh Lord Pascal Gross.

We should all be ashamed and embarrassed by the fact he hasn't.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Earlier in the season I was of the view that Gross has been a very decent player for us but maybe his best years are behind him, and we should look for an upgrade. But through the season not only has he shown us some great moments of quality, culminating with the United and West Ham goals, but he seems to have also added some depth to his game in terms of the positions GP is using him in. Over the season he's played centre mid, part of a front 3, in a sort of number 10 role behind the strikers, winger, and even wing back. He may not start every game next season and we all know he isnt the fastest but that sort of versatility is a great thing to have in the squad. We'd do well to find someone with those abilities for another £3m...

Also, just to say, his West Ham goal was ****ing brilliant. To receive the ball with his back to goal outside the penalty box, and to turn and shoot so quickly with such power and accuracy was very impressive. Once the ball hit the net you could see each of the surrounding defenders players with hands of hips looking totally confused at how he'd scored.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I remember watching a 40+ year old Jimmy Case dominating games and barely moving more than 6 yards side to side and never breaking into anything more than a jog.

His replacement at Liverpool, Jan Molby was another for not wanting to break into a sweat and he wasn’t a bad player

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Absolutely great player for us. Love the guy.
Subjectively, the thing that was making him look less than great was when he was played in midfiled with lallana. Both great players but no pace. Id imagine they will both be bit part players next season so should fit in well with the outstanding array of young talent we also have in that area.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Absolutely great player for us. Love the guy.
Subjectively, the thing that was making him look less than great was when he was played in midfiled with lallana. Both great players but no pace. Id imagine they will both be bit part players next season so should fit in well with the outstanding array of young talent we also have in that area.

Except Lallana is a sick note, he won’t be risked unless we have to play him imo

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Except Lallana is a sick note, he won’t be risked unless we have to play him imo

Not sure, "won't be risked" is a true statement.
I think the fact he won't start many games is more down to the quality of our younger midfielders.
But Lallana has been, and will continue to be, used as a sub, to help see out games.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Who's that wading through molasses?
He runs like Dean Hammond on Mogadon,
But Pascal's my favourite Kraut,
He will turn you inside out,
And he's still a decent backup player option. :rock:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Great turn around for him and glad Potter finally plays him in a position which benefits him and the club.

He had a very good run partnering Biss in central midfield as a deep lying playmaker.

But I agree with you. I think Groß is one of the best at shooting in the team (that’s the important bit in football and our weakest area under Potter!).

At last, Potter has started to play him in a position more akin to the one CH had him in where he sort of shares the No.10 role with Mac.

He could score double figures in this role next season, he really could. You don’t need players to have much pace if you can move the ball very quickly and players like Groß are amazing at their positioning.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He had a very good run partnering Biss in central midfield as a deep lying playmaker.

But I agree with you. I think Groß is one of the best at shooting in the team (that’s the important bit in football and our weakest area under Potter!).

At last, Potter has started to play him in a position more akin to the one CH had him in where he sort of shares the No.10 role with Mac.

He could score double figures in this role next season, he really could. You don’t need players to have much pace if you can move the ball very quickly and players like Groß are amazing at their positioning.

We've been saying that about so many different players every summer for the last 5 seasons.
It's never happened.

There's absolutely nothing to suggest next season will be any different.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
We've been saying that about so many different players every summer for the last 5 seasons.
It's never happened.

There's absolutely nothing to suggest next season will be any different.

The introduction of Caiceido and Mwepu as regular starters will be the difference. They look to play the ball forward far earlier than our midfielders of the last 5 seasons. With Gross playing a more forward role he will score more goals than with Bissouma in midfield.
Mind you, we'll probably concede more.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
But, but, but only a couple of weeks ago we were being told he’s already got a deal sorted in Germany, he was homesick, didn’t want to be here anymore, and today he says;

‘I always wanted to stay with Albion’ ‘ There was never another thought in my mind. I just wanted to finish the season as strongly as possible and then to get it done as quickly as possible”

"That is me. I am in a good place. I am really happy here, and I didn't need to look for anything else.“

So why do numpties write and post with such ‘authority’ about things that they have no idea about, which are effectively complete fabrications?

Or did he change his mind?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The introduction of Caiceido and Mwepu as regular starters will be the difference. They look to play the ball forward far earlier than our midfielders of the last 5 seasons. With Gross playing a more forward role he will score more goals than with Bissouma in midfield.
Mind you, we'll probably concede more.

Maybe.

I guess a lot depends on Undav.
If he can do the one thing neither Welbeck & Maupay can, that being consistently score throughout the season, it'll certainly free up others (Inc Welbz and Maups!!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here