Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Odd-looking character, Hughes. As a fresh-faced England youth hopeful, he looked like a young Boris Johnson meets Dennis the Menace.

Now, at 26, he's turned into Albert Steptoe.

Remember when Barcelona were interested in him? Exclusive footage of Hughes straight after signing his deal with Palace.

giphy.gif

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
5 Live last night talking about Palace's start and immediate fixtures, the change of style and tactics and how long will the board back Paddy if they find themselves adrift. Bizarrely saying that Paddy isn't Roy and how ingrained Roy was on the squad.

A fair chunk of the squad Roy had has walked out to pastures new hasn't it? Maybe they are struggling because PVA was the glue that held it all together?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I dont know what the wealth of our owners is, but I do know that they have not invested mega bucks into our club. Parish, Browett, Hoskins and the other one I forget, that bought the club in 2010, were reluctant investors, and supporters first. They always said that they invested as a last resort as they couldnt bear to see Palace go under. Only Parish remains on the board now, along with three Americans, who are probably looking to eventually make a profit.
My understanding is that Mr Bloom is a lifelong fan who has invested many millions into Brighton, on an interest free loan basis, with the likelihood it will never be called in. This is different to our current owners who, rightly or wrongly, have not made the same investment, and in some cases are taking a salary from the club.
Jealous? Not really. As I said before I would not want to support a megabucks club in a soulless stadium in the middle of nowhere. I quite like the fact that Selhurst is falling apart at the seams. I dont go for comfort, for fine dining, for perfect views, or a lovely surrounding area with on site parking, retail options etc. I go because it where my team plays, in surburbia, surrounded by terraced housing, with street parking only, but with 3 train stations within 10 minutes walk, and I wouldnt want it any other way. I dont want comfy seats, I want to stand up and move around if my view is obstructed.
(I am not directing criticism solely at Brighton here, I am thinking Man City, Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool as megabucks clubs, and places like Arsenal, Spurs, Reading, Bolton, Derby, Cardiff, Swansea, West Ham as soulless bowls)

Football stadiums should feel a bit lived in, should have memories and ghosts attached to them. The Amex is gaining that, but it didn't feel like ours to me for the first season, it does very much now and if I was given the choice of what we have now or we could have the Goldstone, I would keep what we have. Unless we could recreate The Amex on Old Shoreham Road

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I dont know what the wealth of our owners is, but I do know that they have not invested mega bucks into our club. Parish, Browett, Hoskins and the other one I forget, that bought the club in 2010, were reluctant investors, and supporters first. They always said that they invested as a last resort as they couldnt bear to see Palace go under. Only Parish remains on the board now, along with three Americans, who are probably looking to eventually make a profit.
My understanding is that Mr Bloom is a lifelong fan who has invested many millions into Brighton, on an interest free loan basis, with the likelihood it will never be called in. This is different to our current owners who, rightly or wrongly, have not made the same investment, and in some cases are taking a salary from the club.
Jealous? Not really. As I said before I would not want to support a megabucks club in a soulless stadium in the middle of nowhere. I quite like the fact that Selhurst is falling apart at the seams. I dont go for comfort, for fine dining, for perfect views, or a lovely surrounding area with on site parking, retail options etc. I go because it where my team plays, in surburbia, surrounded by terraced housing, with street parking only, but with 3 train stations within 10 minutes walk, and I wouldnt want it any other way. I dont want comfy seats, I want to stand up and move around if my view is obstructed.
(I am not directing criticism solely at Brighton here, I am thinking Man City, Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool as megabucks clubs, and places like Arsenal, Spurs, Reading, Bolton, Derby, Cardiff, Swansea, West Ham as soulless bowls)

You'd struggle to find another stadium more loved by it's fans than ours I reckon. And you definitely wouldn't find a ground that has had as much blood, sweat and tears poured into it than Falmer. With Palace it's all a pose, because when the going gets tough for the club, the fans are nowhere to be seen.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Feel free to continue with your insults, I'll hope to be allowed to converse with others here who seem prepared to accept my views even though they dont agree with them

Dan!………Dan!………..Dan!…………

“Dan’s a fantastic man, he really is”.

Is that what the Always Ultras say about you?
https://youtu.be/fOad90BvvjM

Anyway, I was wondering if you’d help me out here because I’m prepared to accept your view, even if I don’t agree?

When do you think your first win of the season will come? I’ve had a quick glance at your fixtures and have pencilled it in for November. Is that being realistic? Please be careful with your response, I don’t want Kenco coming out of my nostrils!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Got to be happy with the project so far. Keep it up all.

I am especially enjoying the deluded fans desperate to tell us that everything is okay.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

Considered post. Interesting thoughts on the ground. There are undoubtedly thousands of our fans who would love a city centre ground easier to get away from rather than it being in Falmer, me included. It's a shame seeing some people leave early on a regular basis but totally understandable considering how it can cut your journey so significantly, esp if you have kids/are elderly etc. But on the other hand I love the way the stands stay open a few hours after the game to allow people to mingle, wait for queues to die down and drink. Didn't prove possible to have a city centre-ish location though.

And just because a ground isnt old and ramshackle doesn't automatically make it soulless. In fact I'd argue ours is anything but soulless: any football fan with half an interest knows the struggles we had getting our own ground and then finally seeing it built. Was anything but a simple relocation job to some retail/industrial park. And the way it curves to match the Downs does make it unique too. There are things I'd change if it were possible (larger/steeper North stand for example, but it's a special place for most of us as it represents the club finally coming home properly, finally being able to attract the kids away from the big London clubs, attract new fans after a lost generation, and being able to kick on to where we are now.

Last edited:

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Impressive second half performance yesterday, and with a totally new style of possession based football.
54% of the play, and 9 shots at goal against a rampant West Ham team was good, and you can see the players are getting more comfortable in having the ball more.
A few more signing hopefully, and things will look a bit brighter.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Got to be happy with the project so far. Keep it up all.

I am especially enjoying the deluded fans desperate to tell us that everything is okay.

Not saying it’s ok , but it’s getting there. I predicted 4 points from the first 7 games, so 2 from 3 is ok.

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
Impressive second half performance yesterday, and with a totally new style of possession based football.
54% of the play, and 9 shots at goal against a rampant West Ham team was good, and you can see the players are getting more comfortable in having the ball more.
Funny how it is back after we lose and they didn't.
Reported for trolling.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
When is albion fan Milo going to pipe up with his spoof spinning ? ???

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Funny how it is back after we lose and they didn't.
Reported for trolling.

Agreed.

Major infraction issued

eaglesdan

Sep 28, 2011
Interesting game yesterday. 1st half was a tough watch and tbh could have been further behind at half-time. Playing out from the back kind of worked but we didn’t get it far forward
2nd half was much better and I think we deserved a point as we actually pressed forward and had a go. First goal had a bit of luck but it gave us a bit of confidence and 2nd goal was a bit special from Gallagher
Wilf still off the pace a bit but went crazy when we scored both goals
Defence looked ok in second half in particular but still a work in progress
Someone asked when I think our first win will come. Not sure to be honest as games don’t get any easier any time soon but we have 2 more points than many thought and at least we have goals for now
Highlights from the Amex seemed to show a smash and grab from the scousers and nice to see some banter with Andros

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
9 shots. 2 on target. Lucky draw !

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Interesting game yesterday. 1st half was a tough watch and tbh could have been further behind at half-time. Playing out from the back kind of worked but we didn’t get it far forward
2nd half was much better and I think we deserved a point as we actually pressed forward and had a go. First goal had a bit of luck but it gave us a bit of confidence and 2nd goal was a bit special from Gallagher
Wilf still off the pace a bit but went crazy when we scored both goals
Defence looked ok in second half in particular but still a work in progress
Someone asked when I think our first win will come. Not sure to be honest as games don’t get any easier any time soon but we have 2 more points than many thought and at least we have goals for now
Highlights from the Amex seemed to show a smash and grab from the scousers and nice to see some banter with Andros

Classic Brighton lovely possession play for 30 minutes but with the penetration of an 80 year old eunuch. The majority of the crowd could see an Everton goal coming and no surprise it did. After that were lost and on the few chances we had we were slower than a 3 legged tortoise with arthritis so no chance.

So in summary much the same as last season and the season before.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
They didn’t sell out out West Ham and not for the first time either :ffsparr:

*extremely passionate and loyal fanbase*

eaglesdan

Sep 28, 2011
Looked like a lot of empty seats at the Amex yesterday as well from what the tv showed
Not many HF at West Ham yesterday and a few empty seats around me

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Looked like a lot of empty seats at the Amex yesterday as well from what the tv showed
Not many HF at West Ham yesterday and a few empty seats around me

Except almost all of those empty seats were sold.

BHA have sold out every game at the London Stadium and most of them have been for evening fixtures.

This is pretty pathetic support. The Always Ultras didn’t turn up? Classic. Love how the ‘best fans in the league’ continues from your lot though.
0A3873B9-7BDB-4B4A-9945-230126D401CF.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here