Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I totally agree, but I feel more optimistic than I did 1 month ago and more excited for the upcoming season than this time last year.

Hoping it's relegation battle excitement you experience. Finishing 17th can feel fantastic if you have been in the bottom 3 all season, and personally, I don't want Palace to go down, not unless we do too, because I like the little bit extra that comes with a game against your lot.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
I would imagine, that unlike us, they have become accustomed to getting away with it and they don't really have the same level of trepidation than we do.
They have spent many more weeks in the relegation zone than us and yet to finish lower than us.

Errr... have we?

Roy did an exceptional job of getting us and subsequently keeping us out of the relegation zone throughout his spell as manager. I can't recall us being in danger at any point in the last few years.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Errr... have we?

Roy did an exceptional job of getting us and subsequently keeping us out of the relegation zone throughout his spell as manager. I can't recall us being in danger at any point in the last few years.

In your first 4 seasons?
Yeah you have.

Edit: just checked - you were in the relegation zone for most of the first half of 17/18

Last edited:

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
Roy was appointed after our terrible start in 17/18, turned things around to finish comfortably in 11th place, and led us to comfortable midtable finishes in every season after that as well.

As I said, I can't recall us being in danger at any point in the last few years. You've certainly spent a lot more time around the relegation zone than we have in recent seasons.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Errr... have we?

Given we've spent ZERO weeks in the relegation zone since being promoted, if you'd even just spent say - 7 weeks (7 losses...) - in the RZ in that time, you've been in it a lot longer than we have.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
Given we've spent ZERO weeks in the relegation zone since being promoted, if you'd even just spent say - 7 weeks (7 losses...) - in the RZ in that time, you've been in it a lot longer than we have.

Really? 0 weeks? That's impressive and incredibly surprising given that you've spent most of that time desperately clinging on to your PL status.

Milo

Banned
Jul 9, 2021
I think long term injuries are their biggest fear. They have a small squad and will be dependant on a core of first team regulars,
If Zaha were to get crocked early in the season, their attack would begin to look very weak.

And the same can be said about you, lose Bissouma and Dunk to a sale or injury and you're looking really weak.

In regards to your point about our attack without Zaha, yes it would be weaker but i'd still rather a front 3 of Olise, Ayew, Benteke than a front 3 of Trossard, Welbeck and Maupay, that front 3 is pretty damn poor at this level. You need to spend big on a decent striker otherwise you're gonna be bottom 6 again this year.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Really? 0 weeks? That's impressive and incredibly surprising given that you've spent most of that time desperately clinging on to your PL status.

Ish. Not really.

The first season we stayed up comfortably, 7 points clear and never really looking like going down.

The second Prem season under Hughton was bad, admittedly. We were very poor and I thought probably deserved to go down, fortunately Cardiff and Huddersfield were even worse. 2 points clear. I'll give you this one season out of 4.

The last 2 seasons under Potter we've generally looked clear- 7 points and then 13 point gaps, hardly a close run thing. If we'd gone down last year with an xG that saw us as a Europa League standard side it would've been frankly absurd, but it was never that close.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
And the same can be said about you, lose Bissouma and Dunk to a sale or injury and you're looking really weak.

In regards to your point about our attack without Zaha, yes it would be weaker but i'd still rather a front 3 of Olise, Ayew, Benteke than a front 3 of Trossard, Welbeck and Maupay, that front 3 is pretty damn poor at this level. You need to spend big on a decent striker otherwise you're gonna be bottom 6 again this year.

Another moronic contribution.

Can't loz mentor him (as the only decent palace poster on here) and moderate his posts for him before he gets to post this garbage?

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Another moronic contribution.

Can't loz mentor him (as the only decent palace poster on here) and moderate his posts for him before he gets to post this garbage?

Milo is just keen and over enthusastic, not an old cynic like me.

Dont get me wrong I love beating and staying above BHA, its just Man u , Liverpool, Chelsea and Dirty Leeds rank higher in my league of hated clubs...and Three Bridges.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Roy was appointed after our terrible start in 17/18, turned things around to finish comfortably in 11th place, and led us to comfortable midtable finishes in every season after that as well.

As I said, I can't recall us being in danger at any point in the last few years. You've certainly spent a lot more time around the relegation zone than we have in recent seasons.

More seasons in the relegation zone. is what I said and what I meant.

You have been safe quicker than us certainly, but being "around the relegation zone" is a very different reality to being in the bottom 3.

Jul 25, 2021

You obviously know that's not true considering how much you follow us. We signed Ecuador's top hot prospect in 19 year old Caciedo last January who has already been playing defensive midfield internationally. We also beat Man United to his signature. The Ecuadorians have been raving about him too. Also, we signed Mwepu who you watched play for us against Luton. I don't think I need to mention how good he looks as I'm sure you're well aware. Both can play in Bissouma's position.

Dunk is irreplaceable, I agree with you there. A superb defender and should be in the England team. Stuart Pearce even made the point that he definitely should've been called up for the Euro's, and had he, maybe England's trophy cabinet could've been bigger? But still, we've got 2 hot prospects in Antef Tsoungui and Leo Ostigard in defence. Ostigard actually played 40 times for Coventry in the Championship last season, so I'm sure he's had enough experience to fill in the holes when we need him and I'm very hopeful he's going to do well.

Exciting times even if our top players get injured!

Come on Milo! You know it makes sense. It's far more interesting following us lot. You know you're already hooked. No shame in swapping teams, especially for a club like us!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

I think actually we spent a few days in the relegation zone after 2 games in our first season, but that's the only time.

As [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] states, we have only been in real danger of being relegated towards the end of season 2.
However we were 11th (I think) , half way through that season. - Hughton tried to make us more expansive and the wheels came off pretty quickly.

All but 8 teams are battling relegation as a first priority every season.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

I know you think you have a strong squad and we have a weak one.
That's pretty much all you have to say.

There is no substance to your argument.

Personally I don't think we need to spend big on a new striker.
If we can carry on from where we left off and achieve 1 goal more from each of our goal shy strikers and midfield, we will be doing very well indeed.

Milo

Banned
Jul 9, 2021
You obviously know that's not true considering how much you follow us. We signed Ecuador's top hot prospect in 19 year old Caciedo last January who has already been playing defensive midfield internationally. We also beat Man United to his signature. The Ecuadorians have been raving about him too. Also, we signed Mwepu who you watched play for us against Luton. I don't think I need to mention how good he looks as I'm sure you're well aware. Both can play in Bissouma's position.

Its funny really, cause when I have said in the past we have top young talent like Olise and Guehi to come into the squad and all I got was "they have never played in the Prem and are totally unproven" Now you guys are bigging up your squad players and making out losing Bissouma wouldn't be a huge blow because you have Caciedo and Mwepu... who have never played a minute of football in the Prem ???

boik

Its funny really, cause when I have said in the past we have top young talent like Olise and Guehi to come into the squad and all I got was "they have never played in the Prem" Now you guys are bigging up your squad players and making out losing Bissouma wouldn't be a huge blow because you have Caciedo and Mwepu... who have never played a minute of football in the Prem ???

Theres a difference in saying we have players to come into our squad, and you saying a rookie would walk into our starting eleven. Better than the whole of our midfield - not even close you said.

Last edited:

Milo

Banned
Jul 9, 2021
There a difference in saying we have payers to come into our squad, and you saying a rookie would walk into our starting eleven. Better than the whole of our midfield - not even close you said.

No I didn't

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Its funny really, cause when I have said in the past we have top young talent like Olise and Guehi to come into the squad and all I got was "they have never played in the Prem and are totally unproven" Now you guys are bigging up your squad players and making out losing Bissouma wouldn't be a huge blow because you have Caciedo and Mwepu... who have never played a minute of football in the Prem ???

We've also got:
Jakub Moder (12 PL appearances) - 12 Polish caps and scored vs England
Ste Alzate (34 PL appearances) - 4 Columbia caps.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Yeah but we have Moder who has and has impressed so far.

The reason your argument doesn't impress us, is that you are trying to convince us about some unproven players that have to be successful because they have been signed as first choice options.
Our unproven players are back ups to an experienced squad.
We can take our time to integrate and develop them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here