Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Fair play to them terrific end of season. New manager has got one of the worst CFs in the PL to realise with his height and strength there is most likely a good striker there.
Hard part for palace as we know is keeping hold of the quality players and also managers working out and trying to nullify what the Glasner has brought to them. Look forward to next seasons battle

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Anyhow, good finish, or not, we had a European journey, which was fan bloody tastic!

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I almost feel sorry for them.
They are about to go through what we have been going through for the last 2+ years. The moment you start to see real progression or success the ‘big 6’ will come in for your best players and now increasingly your management team.
It’s actually not fair and goes against real competition, but football at the top is corrupt, it is what it is sadly.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I almost feel sorry for them.
They are about to go through what we have been going through for the last 2+ years. The moment you start to see real progression or success the ‘big 6’ will come in for your best players and now increasingly your management team.
It’s actually not fair and goes against real competition, but football at the top is corrupt, it is what it is sadly.
The truth is, the big clubs have always taken good players off smaller clubs. I don't feel sorry for them at all and I bet they don't come close to a European tour.

In fact, it's remarkable how many people have decided they'll be really good next year based on six wins against teams either badly off colour or on the beach. It seems we need to remind some people that we've been shite in 2024 and yet still managed to batter them 4-1. How good are they really? They finished 10th, not 6th. There is a MASSIVE difference in this day and age.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
The truth is, the big clubs have always taken good players off smaller clubs. I don't feel sorry for them at all and I bet they don't come close to a European tour.

In fact, it's remarkable how many people have decided they'll be really good next year based on six wins against teams either badly off colour or on the beach. It seems we need to remind some people that we've been shite in 2024 and yet still managed to batter them 4-1. How good are they really? They finished 10th, not 6th. There is a MASSIVE difference in this day and age.
If palace keep this team together they will be there or there about. But that’s a big if.
If palace keep this team together they will be there or there about. But that’s a big if.
I am pretty sure both Liverpool and Man U would have had us as a win to further both the league and European places.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I am pretty sure both Liverpool and Man U would have had us as a win to further both the league and European places.

I doubt United would have had you as a win.
No Fernandes and down to 6/7 choice centre-backs.
You literally couldn't have played them at a better time.

Liverpool was a decent result, but again you played them at the perfect time - straight after 2 disappointing cup results and midway between 2 crucial Europa league games.

Mateta, Eze and Olise will never play as well together as they have over the past 2 months, even if they are kept together.
Incredible performances.

Having said all that, you are in much better shape than us for the start of next season.
We will do well to catch up.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'll give you Liverpool but Man Utd are shite. We should have beaten them on Sunday tbh and they really weren't much better than mid-table.

As for your first point, it is indeed "a big IF", because if they're that good then at least one of them will be sold. It's that simple. Two years ago, we fielded sides that would be regarded as the backbone of a title winning side - and certainly a side that was MILES better than Palace are now. Bare in mind this side had already just lost Ben White, and then had Levi Colwill passing through, while Mitoma doesn't even feature:

1716279347368.png

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
Palace through Dougie Freeman have made brilliant recruitment from the EFL. Wharton being the latest example.

I sometimes wonder if the Albion is looking hard enough in that area.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Palace through Dougie Freeman have made brilliant recruitment from the EFL. Wharton being the latest example.

There is limited value in the Championship.

You can buy 3 gifted South american kids for 1 championship player.
The wages and sell on clauses required to win their signature also take a big chunk out of their value.

Dougie is undeniably an expert at identifying the right players for their first team though.
We could certainly do with someone to identify players ready to fill the gaps in the first team.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

I think the reason we don't buy as many from the EFL is transfer fees, clearly the recruitment network isn't going to ignore the EFL but the potential player and end transfer fee seems to be greater by selecting talent from Asia and South America.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I think the reason we don't buy as many from the EFL is transfer fees, clearly the recruitment network isn't going to ignore the EFL but the potential player and end transfer fee seems to be greater by selecting talent from Asia and South America.
The main impact to a player's value is wages.
The impact to the P&L of having 2 or 3 players that don't break through can be horrific.

South americans are happy to take a relatively low wage with much better wages if they break through to teh first team squad.
EFL players will expect a decent wage regardless.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
That’s your clubs strategy Tim, buy low sell high. The trouble being players who do well will know they’re in the shop window and will get a bigger club. If you’re happy with that then great, but I like to see players blossom with us and when you do lose one at least you’ve seen them develop and grow as a player.
bloom has a totally different approach and seeing how much he’s invested in your club you can’t blame him if he decides to get a little back.

boik

That’s your clubs strategy Tim, buy low sell high. The trouble being players who do well will know they’re in the shop window and will get a bigger club. If you’re happy with that then great, but I like to see players blossom with us and when you do lose one at least you’ve seen them develop and grow as a player.
bloom has a totally different approach and seeing how much he’s invested in your club you can’t blame him if he decides to get a little back.
I'm not sure of your argument here. Do you not think we saw Mac Allister blossom? Or Mitoma? Just as two examples.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
I'm not sure of your argument here. Do you not think we saw Mac Allister blossom? Or Mitoma? Just as two examples.
Was thinking more, calceido and the curly wurly one.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Let’s see how this window plays out for you before getting too cocky

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I genuinely, could not give two hoots that on the last day of the season, they managed to finish 1 point and 1 place above us. In a few weeks the table will be erased and we will be back above them for at least few weeks because of the alphabet.

I got to watch Brighton play in Europe, visit Marseille, Amsterdam and Rome. Incredible city's and Stadiums with atmospheres that blew my mind. I saw the team at the Amex walk out to the Europa league Anthem and get last minute winner against Marseille and top the group of death. Incredible memories which will live me for ever.

All they have to crow about is they finish 1 point and place above us. It a little but sad really, but if it makes them happy they can have it,

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here