Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I would think most clubs outside the top 5 aim for the season is top 10, Palace ended 11th this season, so just under what most fans would class as a good season.

There is no denying that BHA are a few years ahead on the Academy side of it but looking at the league finishing of u23s and all the academy sides, palace have done well in all of them.

Yes McCarthy might work or it might not, but that can be said of all mangers.

Given the players Roy has proved that he can get his teams to play good football, ask Fulham and West Brom fans.
About the u23s, all of our better ones have spent most of the season in the first team squad…..

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
About the u23s, all of our better ones have spent most of the season in the first team squad…..
Or playing first team football around the leagues and in Europe.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Strong rumours coming through that they’re going to go with Hodgson again after Rodger’s and Potter turned them down. Palace mate of mine reckons Potter said he couldn’t go from BHA to Palace in 10 months, not cos of the rivalry but because it would be a huge knock in his career with facilities and owners etc. would be keen for that to be confirmed somewhere but he’s usually in the know at all things since the 2010 version started (may be a clue there of his stature…)

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
After 10 years and well over a billion pounds flowing into the club, you'd like to think expectations would be slightly higher than 'top 10 finish.'

Thank god for the new stand or else they'd have nothing.
to be fair to @loz Brightons stated aim is to be a regular top 10 finisher, with regular cup runs. Its unrealistic IMO, to think we will be finishing top 6 all the time, especially with Newcastle joining the mega multi billionaire club

Realistically any club outside the big six/seven have to see 10th and above as a good season.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
to be fair to @loz Brightons stated aim is to be a regular top 10 finisher, with regular cup runs. Its unrealistic IMO, to think we will be finishing top 6 all the time, especially with Newcastle joining the mega multi billionaire club

Realistically any club outside the big six/seven have to see 10th and above as a good season.
Damn right, would be delighted with top ten this season. It's going to be more difficult, last season a bit of a one off in many respects, cant rely on chelsea and tottenham being so shit always plus we have eurpoe to contend with

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

If I wanted to be fair to palace fans I wouldn't be here!!!

I'd happily swap all of their last 10 (ten) seasons, for our 2022/23 season.
If we end there, c'est la vie - better to have loved and lost... Blah blah blah.

Even their 1 (one) highlight from 10 years toil has been turned into a laughing stock by their 🤡 (clown) of a manager.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Strong rumours coming through that they’re going to go with Hodgson again after Rodger’s and Potter turned them down. Palace mate of mine reckons Potter said he couldn’t go from BHA to Palace in 10 months, not cos of the rivalry but because it would be a huge knock in his career with facilities and owners etc. would be keen for that to be confirmed somewhere but he’s usually in the know at all things since the 2010 version started (may be a clue there of his stature…)
Is that palace mate the imaginary one who keeps popping in your head sheebo ?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Not at all mate. I’ve supplied his cars for years and become friendly with him on a social level & been out a few times in HHeath. As I say, I don’t doubt him as I know how high up he is there but believe what you want. Great to have you back 🙌

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
Seriously? You think someone would imagine a Palace mate? You don’t seem to have a lot of contact with reality, or perspective - Palace “mates” are like piles: if you’re very unlucky you may end up with them, until you can get rid, but you’re not going to advertise the fact or pretend ffs. Have you considered a break from all this online stuff , maybe take a month or two off away from your keyboard? Do you the world of good, no doubt.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
looking at the league finishing of u23s and all the academy sides, palace have done well in all of them.
Our most talented U23 players are either in the first team or out on loan.

Our PL2 side is pretty much a third choice team in that league added to by the best of the U18s.

Meanwhile the best Palace prospect is probably Rak-Sayki who has been on loan in League 1.

Our academy is currently light years ahead.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
There’s some kind of bizarre father/son thing going on there - I shudder to think!
It could just be “ Respect” maybe the young players look at Roy whose managed all over Europe with some top clubs as someone they could learn something from, if you hear the way they speak about him they clearly like him as a coach and a person….it might not suit your agenda but there it is.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
It could just be “ Respect” maybe the young players look at Roy whose managed all over Europe with some top clubs as someone they could learn something from, if you hear the way they speak about him they clearly like him as a coach and a person….it might not suit your agenda but there it is.
I think most people recognise Roy as a solid coach, who did a good job in keeping you safely in the prem last time he was there. He has loads of experience and the players seem to respond accordingly. If you go with him this coming season then I cant see you in any danger of the bottom 5 or six come seasons end

The only observations I would have with him is are that his longevity in the role, while he will do well, appointing him till seasons end, and now probably a one year deal, means he cant actually change much. Players will be wary of joining as they have no idea of what the medium term plan is, there can be no real change to playing style , and as a result mid table is the realistic ceiling. As has been said elsewhere, nothing wrong in finishing 14th, but IF Palace want to progress a long term plan needs to be put in place, something that Palace really dont seem to be able to do

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think most people recognise Roy as a solid coach, who did a good job in keeping you safely in the prem last time he was there. He has loads of experience and the players seem to respond accordingly. If you go with him this coming season then I cant see you in any danger of the bottom 5 or six come seasons end

The only observations I would have with him is are that his longevity in the role, while he will do well, appointing him till seasons end, and now probably a one year deal, means he cant actually change much. Players will be wary of joining as they have no idea of what the medium term plan is, there can be no real change to playing style , and as a result mid table is the realistic ceiling. As has been said elsewhere, nothing wrong in finishing 14th, but IF Palace want to progress a long term plan needs to be put in place, something that Palace really dont seem to be able to do

I don't think this is relevant. A third of EPL managers may get sacked during the season. Shit happens. In contrast any player at Palace will be confident that if Woy is in place at the start of the season he will still be there at the end.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Yep I don't think that many players think about stability and the plan as much as we'd assume they would. All of the rest of the points about the long-term plan are absolutely valid.

In their defense, this was the aim with De Boer. Although he was given only four games to make the change! And again, with Viera. So I don't think it's their understanding that is at fault, I think it's their expectations, or at least their resilience / patience.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here