Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Palace were a threat all game against us at the amex, first time in years that could be said
All game, think you may have meant first fifteen minutes

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Palace were a threat all game against us at the amex, first time in years that could be said
Nah.

I was nervous for the first 15 minutes and they chased the game for the last 10.
Normally I'm a wreck for these games, even with us dominating.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Hmmm Jan 22nd you say:

United (A) - Brighton (H) - Brentford (A) - Liverpool (H) - Villa (A) - City (H) - Brighton (A)

Plenty of teams in the league wouldn't be imposing their football much in that run of fixtures.
Many would consider 3 points as above par. Add in the 2 points from Newcastle and united home games, directly preceding that run and that's a pretty good haul. City needed a second half penalty to deprive you of a point within that run.

Not sure yours is a convincing argument that he didn't deserve a chance to save the season.
I meant Jan 2022, our cup run to the semis really papered over some god awful results.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Have to say, from what I saw on MOTD Palace seemed to play a much more attacking style than under Viera. Didn't expect that under Roy. Still think it was harsh to sack Viera but maybe it'll work out.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I meant Jan 2022, our cup run to the semis really papered over some god awful results.
Fair enough - I would agree with you then.
Vieira (like many other average managers) can get 1 good season, before the other coaches work him out.
After that he's a busted flush.

Was fairly obvious when his "expansive football" became rather Hodgson like when he was playing against a decent side.
The problem Palace have is any decent manager will need to see the size of the warchest to rebuild the squad.
I don't see any evidence that there is one.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Have to say, from what I saw on MOTD Palace seemed to play a much more attacking style than under Viera. Didn't expect that under Roy. Still think it was harsh to sack Viera but maybe it'll work out.
At Home against Leicester, desperately in need of a first win of 2023??
I kind of did expect that.

eaglesdan

Sep 28, 2011
It was a win against a team on arguably a worse run than ours, and needed a bit of luck, Leicester hitting the post after 10 minutes would have been a very different story. Still some important games to come, and still a way from safety. Was refreshing on Saturday to see that we finally decided to try the idea of taking shots on goal.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
It was a win against a team on arguably a worse run than ours, and needed a bit of luck, Leicester hitting the post after 10 minutes would have been a very different story. Still some important games to come, and still a way from safety. Was refreshing on Saturday to see that we finally decided to try the idea of taking shots on goal.
But would Viera not have managed the same result? He was obviously negative when playing that long run of games against vastly superior teams (like us) but surely planned on being more expansive against the lesser teams?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
yeah - he didn’t deserve to go

A bit like our relief at scraping a last minute draw at home to Brentford?

oh wait …not so funny!

and CP were no threat to us apart from the first 15 mins of course
I guess it all depends how precious you are?

Palace's inability to win a game has been ongoing for 3 solid months.
Our inability to put the game to bed and to also concede against every attack, isn't something we've been agonising over for the entirety of 2023.

If you think the two emotions are the same, then fair enough.
I don't see it. It was great to get the equaliser, but it didn't really make up for conceding 3 at home.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Precisely.

Beaky's vision is stay up at any cost.

Years 1 - 7 have been based on paying over the top wages to have a team good enough to stay up.
Probem is, not having players who can be resold, has left him with a complete squad rebuild and no funds.

If he hasn't got the backing from the yanks to fund a long term project, it's going to have to be going back to hiring mercenaries, taking advantage of the gravy train, until their luck runs out.
Any attempt to woo a "system" coach is going to be laughed off, after pushing the panic button twice.

Ah but you're forgetting their magnificent new stadium that they've been building for the last few years since they got planning permission and ring fenced the money.

One look at the stadium and anyone would be bowled over by the vision and leadership of the club.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Bloody hell Pilarse, you appear to have picked up a little, the only FEAR now is us finishing Top 10 again and 15-20 points ahead of you!

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
Mind the Gap:
* Fans forged by the fires of nearly losing our club v fans in black hoodies. With a drum.
* Financial responsibility
* Players ability, squad age and pipeline
* Scouting/algorithms/potential player recognition
* (Fan) Owner v (Fan) Owner
* Ground capacity and facilities
* Wins v Losses
* World Cup winners

What did I miss?

They thrash a terrible Dirty and they’re all having a mass onanistic session.

eaglesdan

Sep 28, 2011
Mind the Gap:
* Fans forged by the fires of nearly losing our club v fans in black hoodies. With a drum.
* Financial responsibility
* Players ability, squad age and pipeline
* Scouting/algorithms/potential player recognition
* (Fan) Owner v (Fan) Owner
* Ground capacity and facilities
* Wins v Losses
* World Cup winners

What did I miss?

They thrash a terrible Dirty and they’re all having a mass onanistic session.
Points - Yes
Manager - Hmm, time will tell
Fans - We fought hard to save our club and ground, you relied on TB splashing a load of cash after failing to keep the Goldstone
Financial Responsibility - Bank rolled by a gambler, who may just be starting to get his money back
Players ability etc - Hmm, time will tell
Scouting etc - for every Bissouma, theres a CMS, Maupay and Iranian Pogba
Owner - 2 fans, one with more money than the other
Ground - New ground with rubbish access bankrolled by the owner
Wins v Losses - Over what time period?
World Cup Winners - What? Last year, or ever?

Yes there's a difference at the moment, but who knows if it will last. There does seem to be an attempt by TB to reign in some of the money he has invested, and fair play for screwing the likes of Chelski and Spuds over for Potter, Cucu and Biss

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Points - Yes
Fans - We fought hard to save our club and ground, you relied on TB splashing a load of cash after failing to keep the Goldstone
Financial Responsibility - Bank rolled by a gambler, who may just be starting to get his money back

Yes there's a difference at the moment, but who knows if it will last. There does seem to be an attempt by TB to reign in some of the money he has invested, and fair play for screwing the likes of Chelski and Spuds over for Potter, Cucu and Biss
2 wins and they are back, and desperate :lol:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Points - Yes

Poor, poor :fishing:

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
Points - Yes

Your responses do not stack up with no substance to your reasons. Take players ability? You are where you are because you don't have the players. IF you think you do then ask them why you are where you are in the league! And don't give me all the financial bullshit. We have at least never gone bust despite being fairly close at one stage. When you come back with something a bit less desperate and a bit more reasoned I will enter happily engage with you again.

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
Points - Yes

You are the cyber equivalent of the Wealdstone Raider, Dan...no chance of winning a fight but still giving it large regardless.

Anyway see below for some FACTS:

Manager - De Zerbi or who? You have Woy for a few games then no one in place. De Zerbi is one of the hottest managers in the world, Woy is the...erm...oldest.
Fans - "we fought hard to save our club and ground"...no you didn't, you went tits up twice. We fought hard to save our club and ground long before Uncle Tony appeared on his white steed.
Financial Responsibility - Tony Bloom is a lifelong fan, from a family of lifelong fans. He's not invested to make a return. The fact that he may one day is just down to his business acumen. Honest question, would you rather keep or swap your financial situation with ours?
Players ability - "time will tell"...honestly, what a facile response. We are packed with young talent and probably half a dozen would command a fee of £50m today. Which players in your squad are worth £50m? Guehi possibly, but that's it.
Scouting - CMS was bought in 2011! Jahanbaksh in 2018; even Maupay was 2019. Meanwhile Ferguson, Caicedo, Mitoma, Mac Allister, Veltman, Enciso, Buanonotte...need I go on?
Owner - already covered this but, seeing as you called TB a "gambler" - what does that make Beaky? A graphic designer?
Ground - keep clutching those straws, Dan!!!!!!!!!! How is the new stand by the way?
Wins v Losses - since records began, dear boy
World Cup Winners - who, while playing for CPFC, won the world cup? I'll wait

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here