Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Oh dear, what have you done Tony...

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
There are few clubs that will satisfy RDZ’s ego and I will follow his career to see if he can better what he has already achieved with his heart stopping tactics and the burning out of his players physically and mentally.
I’m looking forward to less predictable play and a good balance of games both ends of the pitch. 70% possession when it’s in your own half isn’t really that entertaining.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Yes I know, another thread on the same subject.

My big fears are that we become a club with no aspirations beyond financial survival. Of course that is key to everything, but to take the fans along too there needs to be the optimism and hope of breaking out from Just wanting top 10, maybe having a Cup run, playing thrilling football and upsetting the Big Six natural order of things. Whenever we tick one off the list they become something the fans believe can happen.

RDZ leaving may be the next progression for a brilliantly managed club, swinging the axe before poor results become entrenched and the relegation trapdoor beckons next season. But is Lallana leaving an unforeseen consequence that is hard to replace. Likewise, will Gross see his Player of the Season awards and the Euros as reaching his career peak over here and RDZ leaving as the trigger to go. The tears on the pitch on Sunday from the stands and the pitch, the outpouring of emotion, the singing for RDZ to come back before he has gone, shows the massive personality gap that needs to be filled with someone the fans can get behind. Ok, Fati didn't work, but anyone who knew his talent would have taken that risk. Dahoud maybe less so. I like Igor, but acknowledge he was outside the club mould and will just depreciate, so needs to stay, perform and be that younger/older head for a few years. I fear the starlets who might have loved and stayed a bit to learn from RDZ will need a helluva replacement to stick with us. In Tony we trust, because even when he got it wrong with Sami, he turned it round. But sometimes trust gets tested and I just feel sad and flat at the moment. I'm also not entirely sure that Barber will be fully on board judging by his comments and demeanour with RDZ at the fan forum. But of course, he will be professional and get on with his job.
Have I've I just missed us being relegated to League 2 ? Such a morbid and negative post. We've just competed in Europe ( for the first time EVER ) and beaten every team put in front of us in that competition. We've finished the third highest in a 122 years. The club is in good hands and is well run. The fact that we haven't gone down the same ( almost ) bankruptcy route as when we were last in top flight is a great thing. There are clubs who have gone bust who probably wish they'd followed our sustainability model - even the Everton's and Notts Forest's of the PL are seeing reality finally strike and are probably looking at our model to get back on an even keel.

Anyone that wants shed loads of money spent on the team / club to get us to be in the 'big' six should probably be looking to support another team.

Last edited:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Why couldn’t this have been posted in the numerous other threads?
Because it's a nuanced and balanced thread opener and I was interested to read the views of others in the context of what I said. As usual, some posters can read properly and actually understand the post and respond in kind. Others, dare I suggest usual suspects, rather less so.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Because it's a nuanced and balanced thread opener and I was interested to read the views of others in the context of what I said. As usual, some posters can read properly and actually understand the post and respond in kind. Others, dare I suggest usual suspects, rather less so.
Balanced and nuanced it might be but it doesn’t cover any new ground not mentioned in other threads .….which is my point.

PS I can read properly

Sussexscots

3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 3, 3, 3, 3 ,3 ,3 3 coach chuggers
Feels a bit flat at the moment because the last three months have been poor after some sensational highs.

I liked RDZ. He wore his heart on his sleeve. He was rarely bland or anodyne; but he wasn't infallible or above criticism. A ship can have only one captain which is why we've moved on.

Bloom is the constant, everything else at this club is likely to be a cycle of renewal. It's worked pretty well so far. Let's see what happens next.

IMO, of course.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
As posted on the other similar threads, 6 points from the last 10 games is relegation form.
Thank goodness all teams are measured over 38 games then.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I loved our football under RDZ but he basically gave up after Christmas.
Unless we make a monumental cock-up in terms of who we choose I'm pretty sure we will be just fine.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
DeZerbi isnt the only coach out there. I think we need to stop thinking of the position as an old fashioned manager as much of that role is taken on by Barber and Weir (on the whole to some acclaim).

The head coach is an importdant cog in the machine but one that is not irreplaceable. Our success is not reliant on a Fergie, Clough or Wenger style manager and I am thankful for that.

Our model is robust when other team poach our people because the model/machine its self is robust with the cogs being replaced with similar quality.

The model has served us amazingly so far, why are we assuming it will all crumble now?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Yes I know, another thread on the same subject.

My big fears are that we become a club with no aspirations beyond financial survival. Of course that is key to everything, but to take the fans along too there needs to be the optimism and hope of breaking out from Just wanting top 10, maybe having a Cup run, playing thrilling football and upsetting the Big Six natural order of things. Whenever we tick one off the list they become something the fans believe can happen.

RDZ leaving may be the next progression for a brilliantly managed club, swinging the axe before poor results become entrenched and the relegation trapdoor beckons next season. But is Lallana leaving an unforeseen consequence that is hard to replace. Likewise, will Gross see his Player of the Season awards and the Euros as reaching his career peak over here and RDZ leaving as the trigger to go. The tears on the pitch on Sunday from the stands and the pitch, the outpouring of emotion, the singing for RDZ to come back before he has gone, shows the massive personality gap that needs to be filled with someone the fans can get behind. Ok, Fati didn't work, but anyone who knew his talent would have taken that risk. Dahoud maybe less so. I like Igor, but acknowledge he was outside the club mould and will just depreciate, so needs to stay, perform and be that younger/older head for a few years. I fear the starlets who might have loved and stayed a bit to learn from RDZ will need a helluva replacement to stick with us. In Tony we trust, because even when he got it wrong with Sami, he turned it round. But sometimes trust gets tested and I just feel sad and flat at the moment. I'm also not entirely sure that Barber will be fully on board judging by his comments and demeanour with RDZ at the fan forum. But of course, he will be professional and get on with his job.
I’m dismayed at this post.

Perhaps we need reminding that it was TB and PB that found RDZ. It wasn’t RDZ that found us.

He’ll go down as ‘just another manager’, but will always carry around some Chris Catlin mystique. He happened to be here while we had the players with the quality to qualify for Europe, and what he introduced was great, but then he got found out and showed an inability to change and as a result we stopped getting results.

If you don’t trust TB and PB after their track record then I’m very surprised.

RDZ would have taken us down next year had he persisted with the same tactics. Thank god the club acted now rather than at Christmas next season.

Thanks Roberto. I will really appreciate the highs, but you were the architect of your own downfall.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I’m dismayed at this post.

Perhaps we need reminding that it was TB and PB that found RDZ. It wasn’t RDZ that found us.

He’ll go down as ‘just another manager’, but will always carry around some Chris Catlin mystique. He happened to be here while we had the players with the quality to qualify for Europe, and what he introduced was great, but then he got found out and showed an inability to change and as a result we stopped getting results.

If you don’t trust TB and PB after their track record then I’m very surprised.

RDZ would have taken us down next year had he persisted with the same tactics. Thank god the club acted now rather than at Christmas next season.

Thanks Roberto. I will really appreciate the highs, but you were the architect of your own downfall.
They have targeted KM according to TS interesting one he looks a players manager so probably not that much different to RDZ.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here