Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Oh dear, what have you done Tony...

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Yes I know, another thread on the same subject.

My big fears are that we become a club with no aspirations beyond financial survival. Of course that is key to everything, but to take the fans along too there needs to be the optimism and hope of breaking out from Just wanting top 10, maybe having a Cup run, playing thrilling football and upsetting the Big Six natural order of things. Whenever we tick one off the list they become something the fans believe can happen.

RDZ leaving may be the next progression for a brilliantly managed club, swinging the axe before poor results become entrenched and the relegation trapdoor beckons next season. But is Lallana leaving an unforeseen consequence that is hard to replace. Likewise, will Gross see his Player of the Season awards and the Euros as reaching his career peak over here and RDZ leaving as the trigger to go. The tears on the pitch on Sunday from the stands and the pitch, the outpouring of emotion, the singing for RDZ to come back before he has gone, shows the massive personality gap that needs to be filled with someone the fans can get behind. Ok, Fati didn't work, but anyone who knew his talent would have taken that risk. Dahoud maybe less so. I like Igor, but acknowledge he was outside the club mould and will just depreciate, so needs to stay, perform and be that younger/older head for a few years. I fear the starlets who might have loved and stayed a bit to learn from RDZ will need a helluva replacement to stick with us. In Tony we trust, because even when he got it wrong with Sami, he turned it round. But sometimes trust gets tested and I just feel sad and flat at the moment. I'm also not entirely sure that Barber will be fully on board judging by his comments and demeanour with RDZ at the fan forum. But of course, he will be professional and get on with his job.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
What do you expect the club to achieve beyond your list? (… hope of breaking out from just wanting top 10, maybe having a Cup run, playing thrilling football and upsetting the Big Six natural order of things”).

That sounds like a pretty good ambition to me! It’d be lovely to win the title or be regular Champions League contenders. The trouble is Manchester City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Aston Villa, Manchester United, Chelsea, Newcastle and Spurs all think the same and have the finances to do it.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
The club has been on an upward trajectory for the whole of Tony Bloom’s time in charge. There have been dips (post Poyet until Hughton came in) and what has been demonstrated time and time again is that the club provides a brilliant opportunity for good managers to do very well.

Basically TB’s record since taking over warrants a lot of trust and faith that the future is bright(on).

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Whose fault was it that we didn’t go on an FA Cup run this season? It wasn’t someone who decided it would be a good idea to have a strop around then was it?

We may take one or two steps back next season but imo TB did exactly the right thing. You cannot have a manager who thinks he is more important than the club, which is what I think we ended up with this season.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

My big fears are that we become a club with no aspirations beyond financial survival. Of course that is key to everything, but to take the fans along too there needs to be the optimism and hope of breaking out from Just wanting top 10, maybe having a Cup run, playing thrilling football and upsetting the Big Six natural order of things. Whenever we tick one off the list they become something the fans believe can happen.

RDZ leaving may be the next progression for a brilliantly managed club, swinging the axe before poor results become entrenched and the relegation trapdoor beckons next season. But is Lallana leaving an unforeseen consequence that is hard to replace. Likewise, will Gross see his Player of the Season awards and the Euros as reaching his career peak over here and RDZ leaving as the trigger to go. The tears on the pitch on Sunday from the stands and the pitch, the outpouring of emotion, the singing for RDZ to come back before he has gone, shows the massive personality gap that needs to be filled with someone the fans can get behind. Ok, Fati didn't work, but anyone who knew his talent would have taken that risk. Dahoud maybe less so. I like Igor, but acknowledge he was outside the club mould and will just depreciate, so needs to stay, perform and be that younger/older head for a few years. I fear the starlets who might have loved and stayed a bit to learn from RDZ will need a helluva replacement to stick with us. In Tony we trust, because even when he got it wrong with Sami, he turned it round. But sometimes trust gets tested and I just feel sad and flat at the moment. I'm also not entirely sure that Barber will be fully on board judging by his comments and demeanour with RDZ at the fan forum. But of course, he will be professional and get on with his job.
Hope to break out of the top 10, I’m only just getting used to not being in a relegation battle!

Let’s put this into perspective, this is only our second full season of not being involved in a scrap. Yes we finished 9th the season before, but we weren’t out of the ‘scrap’ fully until that late season run of form.

In terms of progress:
17/18 - comfortable survival
18/19 - nearly relegated
19/20 - comfortable survival
20/21 - comfortable survival
21/22 - late season flourish
22/23 - top 6!
23/24 - mostly top half

As a fan base can we really start a thread worried about not making progress!?

twickers

Jul 17, 2003

There is no growth without discomfort. Remember how it felt when Potter, staff and players exited? Without that discomfort we'd have had no RDZ and not grown. The injuries since have resulted in the hiring of one of Europes best football medics.

The January transfer window was a reminder to all managers who aspire to coach at Brighton (and many do) that Tony won't spaff millions in an inflated market in the hope of a quick fix. RDZ has his own journey of growth and I suspect he'll get to experience the pros and cons of buying ready baked players and wish him luck with that.

It's feels a little uncomfortable losing RDZ, but overwhelmingly I feel more excited about what's to come. We have the last two years for a new manager to look at and improve again. It takes one season for us to finish back in a European place and within two seasons the possibility of facing off against RDZ at AC Milan or Bayern and taking stock of another two years growth.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Southgate it is then.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Jesus Christ. Bloom has always said his aspiration for the club was to be a consistent top 10 finisher in the Premier League. We all thought that was ridiculous when he first said it, and now you're feeling flat because you think we should be more than that!? We haven't even achieved that yet!

We will go into next season with so much hope. A new manager, some unbelievably exciting young players, the best Chairman in the league, and a chance at having a crack at European qualification again. The future is so bright, I genuinely cannot understand how so many people can't see it. Cheer up man!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Tony had no choice but to stand his ground.

RDZ is a free spirit in a sense. He won't compromise on what he wants to do.

A parting is scary, but it is right that it has happened. And if it had to happen, it was the best possible time and in the best possible way

What the club needs now is stability. In terms of the new management team but also in the back room. We need to stop losing our best people all the time

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Jesus Christ. Bloom has always said his aspiration for the club was to be a consistent top 10 finisher in the Premier League. We all thought that was ridiculous when he first said it, and now you're feeling flat because you think we should be more than that!? We haven't even achieved that yet!

We will go into next season with so much hope. A new manager, some unbelievably exciting young players, the best Chairman in the league, and a chance at having a crack at European qualification again. The future is so bright, I genuinely cannot understand how so many people can't see it. Cheer up man!
Beggars belief. I can’t believe how negative people can be over the club. Sure, you can be disappointed with the last couple of months, who wouldn’t be, but to question the overall direction of the club is lunacy

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Anyone who cried at a manager leaving is a clown, I was delighted when that boring Twat pissed off for a glow over. Two months into next season we do well a big club doesn’t RDZ isn’t hanging around (if he had stayed)
Entitled to your opinion…but seriously anyone that is knocked back by RDZ leaving is a clown? Really? Pffft ….i’m very disappointed …..football is a game of emotions ….and you invest emotionally…..so in your words I’m a clown ..wow.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Beggars belief. I can’t believe how negative people can be over the club. Sure, you can be disappointed with the last couple of months, who wouldn’t be, but to question the overall direction of the club is lunacy
Anyone who has ever managed people at any level should know that having an employee that is disengaged with what you are trying to do has to go, regardless of how good they are. And in the world of elite sport, it's even more important. I can't see how there was even a decision for Tony to make, I doubt he even thought twice about it.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Jeez, we've had our first backward step season for a decade (and not really much of one in context) and suddenly you'd think the world's going to end

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here