Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Official NSC Dog Bore Thread

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
And while I was typing that he's just been brought in for a "mouth search" by The Boy as he managed to purloin a pen from "somewhere" (odds split between Mrs GB's desk and The Boy's school stuff). Pens are, apparently, incredibly tasty. FFS.

How are you getting on with family members sneekily feeding from the table, or generally doing things that you're working diligently to train them not to? I actually lose track of who is less trained, the dog or my kids...

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
in November last year, my partner's mother passed away, having had dementia for the past two years.

Three weeks later, our nine year-old American bulldog, Ghost, succumbed to the aggressive tumour, and we had to have him put down. As a result of this, our 20 year-old Jack Russell, Bertie - himself with a large benign tumour - noticing his pal was missing, just basically stopped. He wouldn't eat, pad around, go for a walk; he just sat in his bed whimpering, pining for his now-departed mate. With his deteriorating health, we had no choice and, that same week, he was put to sleep as well.

View attachment 148210

My partner is on several dog-loving Facebook pages and, with one particular woman in East Anglia seeing her story, contacted her to see if she wanted a new dog for company. My partner has grown up with dogs all her life, and to not have one leaves a huge hole in her life. The woman in Norwich had an Old English bulldog / Staffie cross that the previous owners (who paid £2,500 for a pure breed) didn't want. On the way home from Linconlshire at Christmas, we detoured to Kings Lynn to collect Roxy (not a name I'd have chosen, personally). She is the soppiest, most loving, eager-to-be-your-friend, bundle of joy anyone could wish for.

When we collected her, the owner was in flood of tears to see her go. Roxy? Didn't give her a second thought, jumped in our car, looking for the next adventure.

I present, with her David Bowie eyes... Roxy.

View attachment 148211

View attachment 148212

I endorse this dog

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
How are you getting on with family members sneekily feeding from the table, or generally doing things that you're working diligently to train them not to? I actually lose track of who is less trained, the dog or my kids...

:lolol:

The kids absolutely know not to feed him from the table.

On the other hand, we're trying to work hard on not jumping up ("down" seems to work, the puppy book suggesting of "sit" as an alternative does not unless you happen to have a pocket full of treats). All except Littlest GB who we found the other day giving him a "human hug" which basically involves her encouraging him up so she can cuddle him like he was another child.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
We got our dog 3 years ago, thought it would be a bit hard, but she's an absolute tazmanian devil. She is a rescue from Portugal and we suspect she was bred with a very high prey drive as a priority. She's nearly 4 now and is starting to calm down...

Screenshot_20220525-164927_Gallery.png

Screenshot_20220525-190405_Gallery.png

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Great to see many folk getting so much pleasure out of our canine friends.

One thing though, not everyone thinks it's cute and 'they're just expressing themselves' when allowed to bark and howl in quiet neighborhoods.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
:lolol:

The kids absolutely know not to feed him from the table.

On the other hand, we're trying to work hard on not jumping up ("down" seems to work, the puppy book suggesting of "sit" as an alternative does not unless you happen to have a pocket full of treats). All except Littlest GB who we found the other day giving him a "human hug" which basically involves her encouraging him up so she can cuddle him like he was another child.

My 17 yr old daughter carries him around with his arms on her shoulders facing her like she's carrying a toddler! It's ridiculous, he's 21 kg and quite a big dog! I've lost control of all of them...

boik

OK, I'll bite!

This is Cassie, our 2nd GSD. We lost the first one to liver disease which was traumatic. Cassie is nearly 2 now and completely different from our first one.

Two things to enjoy with your dog. Swimming in the sea with them is great and better than grabbing hold of a dolphin. The other thing that was very atmospheric was walking across the fields with her off the lead in the absolute pitch black. Hard to explain why it feels so good, just seems to intensify the experience of being with them.

IMG_20220101_103631957.jpg

IMG_20210418_122529629_HDR.jpg

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I’ve had and trained working dogs all my life, these days it’s ESS. Probably my favourite breed, so easy to train and wonderful temperaments.

925304E4-3C39-49AC-9B52-791404EE0850.jpeg

D1B9AD6C-FFBA-403C-BF2B-A83AD5E566FB.jpeg

[the latter photo is in a friends boot room, I’ve never allowed my dogs onto chairs]

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
This is Finn, we lost him in February this year and it is still incredibly painful, he was a dickhead, but he was our dickhead.

IMG_20190606_183841.jpg

We got him as a rescue back in 2010 from Manchester Dogs Home, he'd already been brought back at least twice as he was too much for other people but we fell for him. He ruined entire roomfuls of our stuff, including door frames and more than one carpet, he couldn't be trusted off the lead and if you came over to visit he'd probably try and eat you but once you got to know him, and he trusted you, he was the most loving dog in the entire world. I will never forget the time my wife had a miscarriage and he would not leave her side, she was the support that I didn't know how to be and as you can see he adored the children, not once did he ever mind the prodding and poking that toddlers can inflict.

This one is Maddie, we got her when my wife's other dog passed away as company for Finn, she is Lab crossed with Stupid and could not be further away from Finn if she tried, she is the most docile dog I have ever met, after a dog like Finn it's almost as if she lacks a bit of character, love her to bits though.

IMG_20190706_101624.jpg

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I think it covers all the poodle sizes so you get Cockapoos in small, medium and large! Ours is a medium. Loves walks , and I love taking her on Worthing beach at low tide .

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
We promised Mrs P's daughter a dog if she did well in her GCSE's 14 years ago. She smashed them so we ended up with Misty, a Jack Russell cross (nobody knows what with, opinions welcome) rescue from Raystede. Daughter has long since left home, but we kept the dog :thumbsup:

She's a bit old and slow now, and at age 15, we kind of know she is not going to be around too much longer, but she's still active, although not quite the rocket dog she once was.

Her special power is knowing when it is a Sunday. Mrs P usually walks her during the week, but Sunday is my long walkies day. She follows me round the house from the moment I get up, waits patiently while I get dressed and put my shoes on. But ONLY on Sundays!

misty1.jpg

Absolutely LOVES her blankie

misty2.jpg

And keeps me company when wfh

misty3.jpg

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
I’ve had dogs in the family all my adult life. The one constant you get from them is unconditional love, always pleased to see you, whatever the circumstances totally welcoming, can be hard work at times but unlike kids they don’t disown you. The relationship of trust you have with your dog is unique, friend, and confidante. Couldn’t live without them, wouldn’t be still alive without them.

View attachment 148204

That is an absolutely beautiful dog :love:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here