Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Official NFL Thread 2023/2024

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You couldn't get more "Brownsy" than unexpectedly beating the best team in the league with a QB they picked up just a few days earlier, while their $230m handcuff is still "injured".
It was mostly down to the defense absolutely dominating the 'niners in the 2nd half last night, but the (incredibly safe) offense made a few decent plays when it needed to.
Great morale boosting win that keeps Cleveland in the mix for the AFC North.
Indeed! However bad fan that I am I didn't find out the result until this morning! We were 7-0 down when I turned over to watch the Rugby. I wouldn't normally pick rugby over the NFL, but it was the world cup, and Sky's studio coverage is getting worse and worse to the extent where it's almost unwatchable. I really miss having knowledgeable presenters as opposed to people who just tell us what we've already seen.

Anyway, yes, a totally unexpected win without our massively expensive, morally repugnant QB. All good!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Relatively good effort by the Giants at Buffalo, obviously lost, but closer than anticipated.

Having Saquon back made a difference…..

Alternatively, how bad must Buffalo be to let us get that close?

FCB

Sep 1, 2023
Disappointing and frustrating. We had enough red zone possessions to win that, but Geno was well off form today and much of the offensive play calling was underwhelming. Boo.

Yes, a lost opportunity, especially since San Fran lost too.

Won't say Geno lost us the game but can't help but think with a better QB we would won easily. I like Geno and his comeback story but at the same time don't think he'll replicate last season and even less improve on that which will probably be needed to make the next step.

Hopefully we'll look for a young QB next draft now that we've build a very solid core for the future. Too bad we don't have another 1st round pick from the Broncos (someone should tell them they don't need to tank for us anymore :ROFLMAO: ).

We probably have both a top 5 WR and RB rooms in the league and while not a star TE also a solid overall group there. Could do a lot worse than give a young QB weapons like DK, Lockett, JSN, KW3, Charbonnet (we've not seen Kenny McIntosh yet but he could make an impact too when healthy), Fant and Dissly with young bookend tackles like Cross and Lucas who have already proven their quality last season.

Sadly OL is struggling with injuries so we've had no real consistency there (where chemistry amongst players is really the most important) but hopefully our health situation will improve.

I'm wondering if we would consider drafting Anthony Richardson if he'd fall to us last April. I think he would be perfect to sit and learn behind Geno for a season or two. Was nowhere near ready to start straight away though (at this point he's more an athlete than a football player) and the Colts probably "killed" another QB. He's probably already out for the season (at least that's what Jim Irsay said but tbh he's usually talking a lot of shite) with a shoulder injury.

That said I absolutely love the Witherspoon pick (I've seen reports after draft there were two "can't miss" players for us in the top 5 picks and I think the other was probably Will Anderson so doubt we were seriously considering a QB there) and don't think I would take any player in last draft over him. He (alongside the returning Jamal Adams) has brought a lot of alpha mentality to the defense that has played much better in last two games. Hopefully they can keep this up.

FCB

Sep 1, 2023
On a college note, gutted that Oregon threw away the opportunity to get a statement win against the hated Huskies Saturday. I had to make do with the highlights not sure I could have survived watching that game live. It was an absolute belter.

I'm on the other side (Go Dawgs!) and probably lost 10 years of my life in that 2nd half. Was well worth it in the end though.

Really hope we can make a push for CFP this season. Still a long way ahead though. Can't overlook any opponent but should deal with ASU this week and then with Stanford (although we usually struggle against them) before taking on USC (who were demolished by Notre Dame last week) and Utah and ending the season against OSU who have a very good season so far and the usual Apple Cup. After beating Oregon could probably get to Pac 12 championship game with one loss, not so sure that would be enough for CFP though.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I'm on the other side (Go Dawgs!) and probably lost 10 years of my life in that 2nd half. Was well worth it in the end though.

Really hope we can make a push for CFP this season. Still a long way ahead though. Can't overlook any opponent but should deal with ASU this week and then with Stanford (although we usually struggle against them) before taking on USC (who were demolished by Notre Dame last week) and Utah and ending the season against OSU who have a very good season so far and the usual Apple Cup. After beating Oregon could probably get to Pac 12 championship game with one loss, not so sure that would be enough for CFP though.
The PAC 12 having a great last hurrah, and its strength could be its undoing. ASU are perennial party poopers (ruined plenty of our seasons) the Beavers look really good as are Utah. USC always over hyped are not an opponent to be feared imo. Enjoy the victory from Saturday that was one excellent advert for college football. To see Penix and Nix live up to the hype was just superb in my view.

I've seen enough from Washington to feel you have a great chance of the CFP, who knows if we win out we could end up meeting again. For me Georgia look like paper tigers this year, their schedule is utter garbage, I think the SEC does not retain the crown this year.

Reactions: FCB

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Glad we have for the 100% off our backs. Now we can push on again

EEEEEAAAAGGGGLLLLEEEESSS

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The PAC 12 having a great last hurrah, and its strength could be its undoing. ASU are perennial party poopers (ruined plenty of our seasons) the Beavers look really good as are Utah. USC always over hyped are not an opponent to be feared imo. Enjoy the victory from Saturday that was one excellent advert for college football. To see Penix and Nix live up to the hype was just superb in my view.

I've seen enough from Washington to feel you have a great chance of the CFP, who knows if we win out we could end up meeting again. For me Georgia look like paper tigers this year, their schedule is utter garbage, I think the SEC does not retain the crown this year.
Ha! Maybe we should have a separate thread for college football, then I can constantly brag about the mighty USC Trojans! Who I notice are in their rightful place, top, with a 4-0 record.

Being a Cleveland fan I guess I should support Ohio State or something, but as my allegiance to Cleveland is nothing to do with any connection to Ohio I don't feel bad about supporting a good college side. Many thanks to one of my family members who went to USC and got me into them!

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Ha! Maybe we should have a separate thread for college football, then I can constantly brag about the mighty USC Trojans! Who I notice are in their rightful place, top, with a 4-0 record.

Being a Cleveland fan I guess I should support Ohio State or something, but as my allegiance to Cleveland is nothing to do with any connection to Ohio I don't feel bad about supporting a good college side. Many thanks to one of my family members who went to USC and got me into them!
Good idea! We are a house of many colours here.

My kids & the Mrs follow LSU & FSU, while I have the SDSU Aztecs & App State Mountaineers as my college teams. Cant call me a glory hunter at all :ROFLMAO:

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Yes, a lost opportunity, especially since San Fran lost too.

Won't say Geno lost us the game but can't help but think with a better QB we would won easily. I like Geno and his comeback story but at the same time don't think he'll replicate last season and even less improve on that which will probably be needed to make the next step.

Hopefully we'll look for a young QB next draft now that we've build a very solid core for the future. Too bad we don't have another 1st round pick from the Broncos (someone should tell them they don't need to tank for us anymore :ROFLMAO: ).

We probably have both a top 5 WR and RB rooms in the league and while not a star TE also a solid overall group there. Could do a lot worse than give a young QB weapons like DK, Lockett, JSN, KW3, Charbonnet (we've not seen Kenny McIntosh yet but he could make an impact too when healthy), Fant and Dissly with young bookend tackles like Cross and Lucas who have already proven their quality last season.

Sadly OL is struggling with injuries so we've had no real consistency there (where chemistry amongst players is really the most important) but hopefully our health situation will improve.

I'm wondering if we would consider drafting Anthony Richardson if he'd fall to us last April. I think he would be perfect to sit and learn behind Geno for a season or two. Was nowhere near ready to start straight away though (at this point he's more an athlete than a football player) and the Colts probably "killed" another QB. He's probably already out for the season (at least that's what Jim Irsay said but tbh he's usually talking a lot of shite) with a shoulder injury.

That said I absolutely love the Witherspoon pick (I've seen reports after draft there were two "can't miss" players for us in the top 5 picks and I think the other was probably Will Anderson so doubt we were seriously considering a QB there) and don't think I would take any player in last draft over him. He (alongside the returning Jamal Adams) has brought a lot of alpha mentality to the defense that has played much better in last two games. Hopefully they can keep this up.
I don't put this loss on Geno, I think the injuries on the OL and therefore the changes had taken their toll (as they had played above expectations prior) and it all came home to roost on Sunday, where Geno wasn't allowed to get any rhythm or time to do anything (and when he did have time his receivers were well covered)

There is a lot to be optimistic about with our Offense and particularly now our Defense who have definitely played above expectations... If Geno can get back to last season's performances then playoffs is more than a real possibility, but you are right in that for us to be SB competitive we need another franchise QB soon.

Reactions: FCB

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
Losing to the Falcons, normal service resumed for us Bucs.

Our running game is non-existent and I expect our winning record start will feel like a lifetime ago come the end of the season

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Watched the Giants vs Commanders.

Finally the Giants showed up, then half-time came.

A fumbled punt return by Sheppard and then a fumble by Saquon, carrying yet another injury, almost allowed the Commanders back in, but thankfully the defence stepped up.

Jalin Hyatt is a real talent and offers some degree of hope.

The Commanders were really poor, and I can’t see either of the teams doing anything, other than have a top 10 draft pick.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
49ers losing B2B games against Cleveland & Minnesota?...maybe not as great as everyone thought they were!

And while I mention Cleveland....what a game for Myles Garrett. Absolute beast on Sunday night vs Indy.

FCB

Sep 1, 2023
SEA!HAWKS!

What a win. Started great, shyte for 50 minutes and finished great.

To make things even better SF have lost their third consecutive game.

Also, Denver on the verge of their first win against the Chiefs/Swifties after 16 straight losses.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Just unbelievable.

Giants clutch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Now have a rookie QB who apparently can’t throw anything but screens or isn’t trusted to!

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I'd love to know who in the Cleveland FO thought it was a good idea to trade Josh Dobbs just before the season started. After a slow start vs Baltimore last night he actually played pretty well and made some great throws. He may not be elite, but has shown some decent flashes of ability this season. Hes much better than PJ Walker, who is struggling mightily in place of Watson. Seriously, he has no arm & no clue. Just horrible.

You cant account for injuries I know, but Im sure the Browns would've been better with either Dobbs or Brissett (why didn't we resign him!) as backup.

Theres only so far a decent defense will take you, but at some point the offense HAS to step up.

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
SEA!HAWKS!

What a win. Started great, shyte for 50 minutes and finished great.

To make things even better SF have lost their third consecutive game.

Also, Denver on the verge of their first win against the Chiefs/Swifties after 16 straight losses.
Chiefs were terrible. Summed up at the end by Mahomes running into his teammate and getting sacked.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'd love to know who in the Cleveland FO thought it was a good idea to trade Josh Dobbs just before the season started. After a slow start vs Baltimore last night he actually played pretty well and made some great throws. He may not be elite, but has shown some decent flashes of ability this season. Hes much better than PJ Walker, who is struggling mightily in place of Watson. Seriously, he has no arm & no clue. Just horrible.

You cant account for injuries I know, but Im sure the Browns would've been better with either Dobbs or Brissett (why didn't we resign him!) as backup.

Theres only so far a decent defense will take you, but at some point the offense HAS to step up.
Yeah. I had high hopes when Andrew Berry took over, not least because I was shouting for him to be appointed! However he seems to have 'gone native' and been infected with whatever virus it is that makes everything in Berea turn to shit.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Broncos win - can't say I expected that. Next up are the Bills which will be a good test of if this team has improved or if it was just Mahomes suffering more with the flu.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
IMG_0153.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here