[Football] Newcastle fan stabbed in Milan

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Acts like this can't be justified and it's a shame some of our fans are being put off travelling because of it

I expect Newcastle fans would have been given similar advice for their trip as we have. If we have fans who go and set up camp with flags, colours etc then they can expect trouble rather quickly. You could be a '58 year old scarfer' who wants a pint with everyone else but get caught up.

Best to follow advice, keep your wits about you and use common sense. If you do, there's every chance you come home without problems. Not guaranteed of course but I will be cautious who I am around and get an aisle seat on the bus transfer 😁
Yeah flag probs just for Stadium in Mars’ but not Ajax.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I can’t see any way of preventing AEK fans from catching the train to Falmer.

That's because I don't believe there is anything set up to 'stop' them. They have simply been given them a very simple, safe and organised alternative.

Just like any Albion fan can ignore everything set up for them and go to Port de Marseille and make their own way into the stadium. (Not what I would advise having spent time in Port de Marseille, but each to their own) :shrug:

Last edited:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Been learning some local phrases to assimilate with the locals.

quel est le chemin vers le JD Wetherspoons?

puis-je avoir une pinte de Ruddles, garçon?

Est-ce que c'est payé à la porte ?

avez-vous des badges à épingles ?
“Yes it’s a stone island badge but where are my Pringles”?

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
That's because I don't believe there is anything set up to 'stop' them. They have simply been given them a very simple, safe and organised alternative.

Just like any Albion fan can ignore everything set up for them and go to Port de Marseille and make their own way into the stadium. (Not what I would advise) :shrug:
Maybe. But many AEK fans will arrive at Brighton Station from Gatwick or London and might simply join the queue for the Falmer train.

BHAryan

BHAryan
Feb 8, 2011
Worthing
Whilst the club have done the right thing, I do think its a bit ott and will scare off sone fans, which is probs reflected in current ticket sakes. Sad, but likely a factor. Genuinely you can have the best times abroad at football and any sports, just have to be sensible and street wise. Newcastle fans showing colours and flags is absolutely not a problem, I think it is brilliant they are not being subtle and enjoying themselves, how it should be. I would hate to think that our fans are going to go to Europe and not have some fun. I’m getting a flag made up as we speak. If you want trouble, you’ll find it, simple as that. We don’t want that, we just want beer and laughter!
It's great to see I agree.

However, our European counter parts won't see it as cheerful and see it very much as a target.

Our fans can still go abroad and have just as good a time.. a beer (or 14) and a laugh whilst exercising caution.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
Quite possibly, but I can't see what the issue is :shrug:
Nor me. No idea why AEK fans aren’t using the usual away pubs and being encouraged to use the train. My point is that having taken the trouble to put in place special arrangements for AEK fans (presumably for a reason), there doesn’t appear to be anything preventing them from using the standard arrangements for away fans.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Nor me. No idea why AEK fans aren’t using the usual away pubs and being encouraged to use the train. My point is that having taken the trouble to put in place special arrangements for AEK fans (presumably for a reason), there doesn’t appear to be anything preventing them from using the standard arrangements for away fans.

I'm guessing that they want to keep the majority together (particularly those that want to vocally and noisily announce their presence). It's a bit like the scum up the road, where they like to keep all the dark clothed 'ultras' :lolol: together while most of us adults share quite pleasant P&R, Buses and trains to the match :wink:

First European match they are being extra careful (and I quite like the idea of helping visitors from abroad find their mates, enjoy a drink and have transport specifically laid on) :thumbsup:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I’m not sure there is with us in Marseille, is there? If you look at vids on YouTube of Spurs’ game there, there are videos of groups of Spurs fans getting the Metro to the game pissed up and singing.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I’m not sure there is with us in Marseille, is there? If you look at vids on YouTube of Spurs’ game there, there are videos of groups of Spurs fans getting the Metro to the game pissed up and singing.

There's a specific square in Marseille to collect your tickets, have a beer and food and get bussed in (and back after), quite a way away from the Port area. As I mentioned earlier, having been there it seems sensible, Marseille making Gillingham look like Roedean :wink:

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
Probably not, unless the area of La Joliette where we have to pick up our match tickets is somehow cordoned off to force us to use the buses.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It's great to see I agree.

However, our European counter parts won't see it as cheerful and see it very much as a target.

Our fans can still go abroad and have just as good a time.. a beer (or 14) and a laugh whilst exercising caution.
Of course Brighton fans are going to hang flags and get pissed up out side some bar especially the younger ones.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Police can’t win though really. AEK have had some bad hooligan issues. My gut feeling is that 99% will be no different to normal away fans and we’d all get along fine. But that’s based on nothing other than thinking most people are basically alright. Imagine if it did kick off big time and there’d been no plans like this in place. Maybe in future it’ll relax a bit more. Should remember too, I suppose, that they know the fans who’ll be coming. Maybe there are some specific concerns.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If it's the video I posted earlier - they were on the arranged buses singing, not the metro.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Jesus wept.

All these Albion fans talking from experience about what it’s like to follow a team in Europe.

I look forward to going to a City, picking up a ticket, going to a match and watching a game.

I’m sure the atmosphere will be spicy. Surely that’s the point? I’m hoping none of our lot doing anything idiotic. I’m sure they won’t.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports