And there was me worried you had found someone else to stalk :love:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Lovely woman

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
apart from the coup of an MP crossing, not sure this is going to be that helpful for Labour, seeing comments this show's Starmer is too Tory.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Leaves one centrist party for another (faux) centrist, all the same mish-mash.
I still feel Starmer will show his true colours once in the seat, and the hardcore boys and girls come on out of the woodwork.
You're now down to just a gut feeling :lolol: .You really are an empty vessel.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Lovely woman

Well, she's certainly done her bit for getting a majority of England supporters onside. This was a widely held view at the time. And one that prevails no that Rashford has turned into a latterday Alan Gilliver.

(For the record, at the time I thought she was being a ****).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
apart from the coup of an MP crossing, not sure this is going to be that helpful for Labour, seeing comments this show's Starmer is too Tory.
If it show's Starmer is too Tory this is likely to increase Labour votes.

Remember that Elphick is standing down, and her defection is simply a 'f*** you, Sunak' gesture, not an attempt by the woman to carve out a new career as a Labour MP.

In fact it could be argued as about an honest and honorouble gesture as one in her position could possibly make. The chances were she would have been re-elected as a Tory.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If it show's Starmer is too Tory this is likely to ibcrease Labour votes.
hearing Starmer, that seems to be the calculation, look how centerist Labour is. at what cost of votes on the left though?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
If it show's Starmer is too Tory this is likely to ibcrease Labour votes.

Remember that Elphick is standing down, and her defection is simply a 'f*** you, Sunak' gesture, not an attempt by the woman to carve out a new career as a Labour MP.

In fact it could be argued as about an honest and honorouble gesture as one in her position could possibly make. The chances were she would have been re-elected as a Tory.
By defecting to Labour, who have accepted her, it gives the impression that they are accepting her views too. Surely the honest and honourable thing would have to become independent?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I expect, and I am only speculating, that the calculation made within the Labour party is that this will give them more kudos and support among centre / soft right voters who think Starmer can be trusted more as a result of this than it will lose hardcore lefties (many of whom have likely already moved on anyway). The Tories at the moment are going the other way in trying to sate the appetite of their extreme wing while alienating the centre. The polls tell their own story as to which of those strategies is ultimately more successful.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
She has announced she will be standing down at the GE. So simply a massive gesture and not a career move. Wow.

OK, that's all now fine with me. My 'resignation from the party' letter has gone in the bin.

Wow. What a blow for the tories. No wonder Sunk was dumbstruck.
Dear Keir / Rishi (nobody can tell the difference anyway)

You can stick it.

Love

HWT

PS - can I have my subs back?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Bizarre. Not sure how you can join the conservative party, work very hard to become an MP of that party and then take the completely opposite view of life on so many things and move to Labour. I could completely understand a move away from the Tories to become an independent as a protest against the way the Tories have been run but this makes no sense. Has she just thrown her core beliefs away?

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
Starmer is right to let her cross the floor but the party won’t let her stand at the next election I imagine? There is a 12 month minimum party membership requirement.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
By defecting to Labour, who have accepted her, it gives the impression that they are accepting her views too. Surely the honest and honourable thing would have to become independent?
She wants the Tories out.

Forming her own party won't advance that cause.

Especially considering she is standing down at the next election.

This really is a Pauline conversion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports