[Help] Morals and Ethics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I think I have resolved - I can't change what has to be done, but I have a plan for how to do it in such a way that the correct moral outcome is achieved, which effectively means doing a half-arsed job.

My approach would cause horror at the top of my organisation, but I'll take any shit if it means I can sleep easily.
Oh no, you’ve asked them to cover your travel into work expenses haven’t you… 😯

Last edited:

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
As said this is a place for union involvement. However, failing that these things are hard to live with yourself and so sometimes you have to say no - even to the detriment of your job/pay/career. My wife calls it shooting yourself in the foot again, but liking yourself is pretty important unless you join the Tory Party.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I can't go into detail, but tomorrow at work I'm supposed to be doing something that every moral and ethical fibre of my being says is wrong in any number of ways.

My boss is sympathetic, but the decision has come from way above us and no-one higher up seems interested in changing it.

I love my job, but I hate this.

Advice/thoughts gratefully received.
Have they asked you to spend less time on NSC during working hours ?

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
You say your boss is sympathetic, but it doesn't sound like they're saying no to their boss, or feeding your potential for refusal back up the chain.

Your only option, therefore, is to refuse to do it. At the very least that will force those conversations to happen. All the time your boss thinks they can lean on you while still appearing sympathetic, they will do that.

In terms of morals and ethics, if you do it you're also complicit, because someone has to say no, and at this point noone has said no.

You just have to weigh up whether that is more important to you than losing your job/stirring things up or whatever might happen.

Good luck, I don't envy you.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
I can't go into detail, but tomorrow at work I'm supposed to be doing something that every moral and ethical fibre of my being says is wrong in any number of ways.

Does this relate to organising the 2023 Secret Santa for your team/department?

*makes 'ugh' face*

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Jobs come and go but you have to live with yourself forever, do not do anything you don't feel comfortable doing and think you'd look back on in years to come and regret. I know they say it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission, but in some cases I think you're better off just good old fashioned refusing to do it but being really clear why.

What's the potential consequence?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Intriguing.

I assume the senior management consider this task to be part of your role.
Therefore the company/organisation you work for have business practices that conflict with your ethical code.

If that's the case, it's time to get out and find a better employer.

Swimboy64

Oct 19, 2022

My boss is sympathetic, but the decision has come from way above us and no-one higher up seems interested in changing it.

Advice/thoughts gratefully received.
For me if a company I worked for asked me to do something that was immoral and unethical I just simply wouldn’t do it.I would start looking around for something else.Probably very easy for me to say as you say you love your job and a lot of folks would say don’t worry about it and just do it. I’ve found through my own experiences that these things tend to find their way under your pillow and can really effect people
I would tell them sorry I can’t do it…just saying,good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here