Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mentioning and tagging users

Can I just have a brief MOAN?

I'm not at all keen on receiving a "notification" that someone has quoted a post of mine in a thread. Life is too short to be bothered by having to open up NSC notifications, other than for private messages.

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
Can I just have a brief MOAN?

I'm not at all keen on receiving a "notification" that someone has quoted a post of mine in a thread. Life is too short to be bothered by having to open up NSC notifications, other than for private messages.

Surely there will be an option to turn it off somewehre...

Jimmy Grimble

[MENTION=12020]Keeping The Dream Alive.[/MENTION]

Happy?

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] .... nice idea , really like this

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
So what is the point of this feature? As all it does is link to the member's user page (does anyone actually read them?).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So what is the point of this feature? As all it does is link to the member's user page (does anyone actually read them?).

Simply if you want a specific someone to look at a thread they are more likely to do so if you 'mention' them in the thread as they will receive a notification.

Previously if I randomly typed perth seagull into a thread it is very hit and miss whether you'd see that or not.

Now when I say [MENTION=16]perth seagull[/MENTION] you'll get a notification and you're more likely to come here. The link to the profile is just a by-product really.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A mention is when you @ someone or use the Mention button to wrap [ MENTION] around a name that is present in a post.

A tag is where you use the 'User tag list' at the top of each thread to add an NSC user. Their name doesn't appear in the thread itself, as is the case with a mention.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Simply if you want a specific someone to look at a thread they are more likely to do so if you 'mention' them in the thread as they will receive a notification.

Previously if I randomly typed perth seagull into a thread it is very hit and miss whether you'd see that or not.

Now when I say [MENTION=16]perth seagull[/MENTION] you'll get a notification and you're more likely to come here. The link to the profile is just a by-product really.
Is there a way to turn these notifications off? There isn't a specific setting in my user profile.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Is there a way to turn these notifications off? There isn't a specific setting in my user profile.
Presumably this is done from the notifications tab in Facebook, once you've attached your FB profile to your NSC username obviously.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
so are you saying that every time someone tags you you receive a mail somewhere to say you have been tagged? like in Facebook ?

any chance in switching this off as my mail gets filled with spam as it is

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Presumably this is done from the notifications tab in Facebook, once you've attached your FB profile to your NSC username obviously.
I'm not on Facebook so I'm guessing none of this applies to me? In other words are the notifications all driven by Facebook and not NSC?

Admin

Administrator
Oct 3, 2009
so are you saying that every time someone tags you you receive a mail somewhere to say you have been tagged? like in Facebook ?

any chance in switching this off as my mail gets filled with spam as it is

No. NSC notifications, somewhere on the top right of your NSC page, will say 'Notifications: 1'. I'll [MENTION=20]granny weatherwax[/MENTION] you so you can see.

I'm not on Facebook so I'm guessing none of this applies to me? In other words are the notifications all driven by Facebook and not NSC?

This has nothing to do with Facebook at all - it's completely internal to NSC.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here