Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mcghee post match comments

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
After listening to the seagulls world post match comments by Mark Mcghee it sounds like the club are really struggling to come up with ANY money for this transfer window. Looks we will have to hope that a club helps us out by loaning a decent player or two if we are going to strengthen our squad.

The most worrying thing is the way he talks it sounds like no one is lined up to join the club other than Henderson, and that sounds like it may not be cut and dry.

In the words of Mr Mcghee "things are pretty desperate".

I think it could be a depressing few months as we battle against relegation.

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
At last someone appreciates what we are up against.
We are doing the best we can with the best that we have and all people can do is moan.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Yorkie said:
We are doing the best we can with the best that we have and all people can do is moan.

The club have said there is money for up to 4 players hence henderson coming in for 30 grand.There is money there for players but not the standard we need to improve the team.Shipperley wages must be skyhigh etc.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Yorkie said:

People moan because we started the season with promise and hope of a mid to bottom of the mid of the table finish- and a settled little squad with a team playing for each other as well as the manager.

That hope has now gone and its got sod all to do with the players out there that the motivation and bizarre tactical skills of our manager are dragging them down to his level.

Players that lack the skill and quality at this level will always and i mean ALWAYS triumph over 46 games if they stick together, understand what is expected of them and can rely on a settled position and formation.

At present we have none of these qualities on display and that MUST change.

Its up to McGhee to prove that he still has the ability to produce results whatever the financial situation at the club.

As supporters we triumphed in adversity far outweighing the situation he finds himself in, and as a supporter i expect the same level of commitment on a united front on the pitch.

We cannot have a manager alienating key members of the old guard, - Kuipers, and publically criticising individuals to get the best out of this bunch of players- it simply isnt working.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
This is the problem.
Everyone talks about transfer money but wages are the big problem at this level.

You are offered a job at £1.5K a week or a job at £6K a week and you don't have to move - which are you going to choose (and that isn't counting the lack of facilities)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
vulture said:
The club have said there is money for up to 4 players hence henderson coming in for 30 grand.There is money there for players but not the standard we need to improve the team.Shipperley wages must be skyhigh etc.

That is not how MM came across on SCR.

Somebody on the phone in suggested Dean Windass. The Club tried to sign him when we were in the original 1st Division in 1983 22 /23 years ago. He wasn't interested then so at 40 years old he is hardly likely to be now.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
He's hardly setting the world alight at Bradford.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Yorkie said:
This is the problem.
Everyone talks about transfer money but wages are the big problem at this level.
Very selective reading there. At what point does Fourthteamtillidie
talk about transfer money? Two sentences in that post sum up what most people's problem is with Mcghee:

That hope has now gone and its got sod all to do with the players out there that the motivation and bizarre tactical skills of our manager are dragging them down to his level.

Players that lack the skill and quality at this level will always and i mean ALWAYS triumph over 46 games if they stick together, understand what is expected of them and can rely on a settled position and formation.

Without playing a settled side every week I think some players either don't fully understand their role in the team or just haven't had enough experience in the role they are asked to play in.
If Mcghee just played what he thought was the best team for say, five games in a row and then if we were still shit changed mabye a couple of positions at a time then I think people would have a lot more confidence in him.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
However, you can be guarenteed that if the team lost two or three in a row everyone on here would be howling for him to make changes because things aren't working. To be honest the only real changes being made each week is up front because those playing in that position are not producing the goods. Elsewhere, the side seems to pick itself, the central defence partnership of Butters and McShane has only been disrupted by injuries as has in general the 4 across the middle. The backs have depended largely on the problem of left back and whether Reid gets used in that position. We've used 4 keepers this year and I expect Henderson to be first choice once his move is finalised.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
In my humble opinion, i think whatever Mcghee does at the moment will be heavily critisised, purely because the results arnt happening, i know we are all fed up, pissed off whatever, how do you think he feels ? as much as theres some calling for him to go, i really do believe there is no one out there that will come in at this point in time and wave a magic wand, if we have no (or little) money for players, we certainly aint got dosh for a new manager, (not forgetting MM would have to be paid off very likely ?) and as many others have said on other threads, we have been in alot worse times in the past, i appreciate we all want out of this situation, and im sure the present management team will give it there best.

if anyone wants to nic pic any of the above, please do, i wont be replying because i refuse to get into a heavy debate over detail, (which none of us really have any definate knowledge of anyway)

Flame away !!! lolol

(Please note hitonys solicitors are watching this thread, and it must be stressed by his legal advisors, ITS ONLY HIS PERSONEL OPINION !!! :D )

fourthteamtillidie said:
People moan because we started the season with promise and hope of a mid to bottom of the mid of the table finish- and a settled little squad with a team playing for each other as well as the manager.

Its up to McGhee to prove that he still has the ability to produce results whatever the financial situation at the club.

As supporters we triumphed in adversity far outweighing the situation he finds himself in, and as a supporter i expect the same level of commitment on a united front on the pitch.

We cannot have a manager alienating key members of the old guard, - Kuipers, and publically criticising individuals to get the best out of this bunch of players- it simply isnt working.

Utter illogical scapegoating from beginning to last. McGhee cannot DEFINITELY triumph over all the financial obstacles, he's a football manager, not a miracle worker.

We had a settled little squad at the beginning of the season, yeah?

We still have - only it has the same problems as it did back then, we have 2 or 3 glaring holes in important positions. McGhee has done his best to paper over those cracks with various tactical switches, but it is no substitute for signing the right players.

"Players that lack the skill and quality at this level will always and i mean ALWAYS triumph over 46 games if they stick together" - that is the biggest pile of nonsense I've read on here for some weeks, and that's saying something. Class always will out, managers can only do so much.

Last edited:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
fourthteamtillidie said:

What a very very good post.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

And for those who use the "we don't have any money" arguement,

Money does not buy effort
Money does not buy commitment
Money does not buy heart
Money does not buy team spirit

Last edited:

Billy the Fish said:
Without playing a settled side every week I think some players either don't fully understand their role in the team

If McGhee didn't make changes to losing teams, I would bet the anti-Magoo clowns on here would froth at the mouth even more than they do currently about sticking with losing players and not "trying something different". It's really any excuse, innit?

Last edited:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
London Irish said:
If McGhee didn't make changes to losing teams, I would bet the anti-Magoo clowns on here would froth at the mouth even more than they do currently about sticking with losing players and not "trying something different". It's really any excuse, innit?
They probably would but apparently the world doesn't revolve around an internet message board, i'm sure Mcghee would get over it.
L.I - what is your opinion on this, Would you rather Mcghee drops a forward every time he doesn't score or would you like to pick two of the six strikers we have a give them a chance to form a decent partnership?

Billy the Fish said:
They probably would but apparently the world doesn't revolve around an internet message board, i'm sure Mcghee would get over it.
L.I - what is your opinion on this, Would you rather Mcghee drops a forward every time he doesn't score or would you like to pick two of the six strikers we have a give them a chance to form a decent partnership?

Fair question. I think McGhee needs to assess all his options, in the heat of battle of games. He's doing that. Once he finds a partnership he is happy with, I'm sure he will stick with it.

But I don't understand the logic of saying he must pick whichever two and stick with them come what may, regardless of results, impact or form.

The people who were most often arguing that approach on here seemed to want Leon and CKR. Now I thought that was a poor pairing, 2 players who probably haven't worked hard enough in training, who partly because of that have little workrate and movement when paired together.

Leon is gone - so who is the favoured pair now? There's the problem, there isn't an obvious answer, is there?

CKR might be the ONE common name we would all agree on, but he had a very mixed game today, showed his inexperience in contact with defenders and wasted two glorious chances of goals. Does this young player really get a blank cheque to play for the next 10 games with that level of performance?

I say McGhee has bloody tough decisions to make and we should recognise that more than we do on here. I find the debate about his decisions on here a big turn-off because to me it's clear that our current strking resources can't produce a stable and consistent pairing. He is not leaving out any outstanding player begging to be picked.

My hopes, and I reckon McGhee's too - are focused on the Jan window. McGhee has used the word "desperation" to describe our need for a new striker.

That's McGhee being honest and levelling with the fans about how it is. He deserves respect for that honesty at least, even if you don't agree with his selections.

There's little doubt that LK is a talented striker capable of causing defenders some grief. How we did NOT play to his strengths was patently obvious, week-in week-out. In fact I would defy Thierry Henry to do anything with the sort of service given Knight - we'd make him look decidedly average out there.

With other players tried out, and several formations attempted, we can score no more than a goal a game, and cause very little for most teams to be worried about.

Can we expect anything to change for the better, with one less player available?

I have an answer for you, in case you still harbour any doubt; "no".

At least MM has drawn a line under Knight's apparent lack of discipline - he is not to be questioned by the players.

Great. Now what?

Stumpy Tim

London Irish said:
Fair question. I think McGhee needs to assess all his options, in the heat of battle of games. He's doing that. Once he finds a partnership he is happy with, I'm sure he will stick with it.

But I don't understand the logic of saying he must pick whichever two and stick with them come what may, regardless of results, impact or form.

The people who were most often arguing that approach on here seemed to want Leon and CKR. Now I thought that was a poor pairing, 2 players who probably haven't worked hard enough in training, who partly because of that have little workrate and movement when paired together.

Leon is gone - so who is the favoured pair now? There's the problem, there isn't an obvious answer, is there?

CKR might be the ONE common name we would all agree on, but he had a very mixed game today, showed his inexperience in contact with defenders and wasted two glorious chances of goals. Does this young player really get a blank cheque to play for the next 10 games with that level of performance?

I say McGhee has bloody tough decisions to make and we should recognise that more than we do on here. I find the debate about his decisions on here a big turn-off because to me it's clear that our current strking resources can't produce a stable and consistent pairing. He is not leaving out any outstanding player begging to be picked.

My hopes, and I reckon McGhee's too - are focused on the Jan window. McGhee has used the word "desperation" to describe our need for a new striker.

That's McGhee being honest and levelling with the fans about how it is. He deserves respect for that honesty at least, even if you don't agree with his selections.

Now you see, when you don't spend your time belittling people who disagree with you, you actually can come up with a well thought out response.

Well done :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here