Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mark McGhee - what do you think?

Speaking to friends and fellow Albion fans, it seems as if a lot of people are disappointed with MM following his appointment as BHAFC manager. We haven't got the results in and are not "grabbing the bull by the horns" shall we say.

I am in the minority of fans (ok the only fan I know) that is glad with Mark McGhee's appointment. Since he has managed our team, we are looking a better team that pass the ball instead of lobbing it to Knight. He is trying to change the style of play, and this takes time. We are not a large team so long ball does not suit us. We need to have time to change and I would rather us stay in division 2 next season and perfect our style of play, then go up to division 1 and get caught out again with long balls that just don't work.

We have to look at the long term future of Brighton and establish ourselves within the next 5 years as a good division 1 side. It will take time but I do think Mark McGhee is the right man for the job!

What do you think? Am I the only one?

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
He was the best of a bad bunch at the time in my opinion.

Anyway his hands are tied as we can't afford to strengthen which is why I reckon our indifferent form is likely to continue - a couple of good results here, a couple of crap ones there.

Whether this will be enough for us to make the play offs is anyones guess.

mitch

Oct 16, 2003
pretty much how i feel about it he's here for the long term,so we go up again no money for proper investment in the team again we struggle and come back down.
he just needs time to bring his own type of players in and stamp his style of play on the team,problem being the only time when you can change things is in the summer when contracts are up.
he got a lot of flack on here for not playing knight from the start but he was sending a message to him and the rest of the team that you have to keep your place knight lost his through his owns actions which was going down to easily even though some of these booking where harsh.
most of us did'nt like to see him do this and this is one of the things mcghee has changed and for the better in my oponion.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Does anyone think he may need some more time? To be fair he is still using the the same team as prior to his appointment.

I would like to see what he can do when he brings in one or two of his own players.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think he's doing a job, perhaps the relative success of recent years has led people to believe a quick fix was possible, hence the occasional moans.

But he always comes across well when I hear him speak, and i think he's doing the best job he can with the limited resources available.

As for Knight at Swindon, I don't get the criticism there, they played very well in the first half without Knight, and I don't remember many chances that I thought, "damn, Leon would have scored that". While I don't blame Leon for the result at all, the fact is that our second half, while he was playing, was rubbish. I don't see how McGhee not playing Leon from the off affected that??

Last edited:

Completely agree with hte Knight comments. We played better when he was off. Both Leon and The fans have to realise that this is not a one man team and he is not the most important person here.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I was a bit surprised he wasn't playing, and I think he's a great little player when he puts his mind to it, but all I'm saying is that I don't believe his absence in the first half made us play badly. Or against an admittedly dire Wycombe.

Mostly I'd rather have him in the team, but at the same time it was useful to see we could play without him, as I'm sure he will get himself another suspension by the time the season's out.

Probably get sent off against QPR at Loftus Road!

mitch

Oct 16, 2003
sorry 3 posts and were heading off topic already,the past success we've had means mcghee has a lot to live up to but this can only be a good thing it's all going to be down to time but were in safe hands.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
8 league games - 3 wins 2 draws 3 defeats. Dumped out of the FAC cup at the first hurdle by a div 3 side, dumped out of the LDV when he fielded a weakened side.

Coppell had this side 4 points clear at the top so with regard to the squad of players we have he has been very very average. We have had the luxury of 3 of the best managers in the Nationwide league and McGhee is simply not in the class of Adams, Taylor or Coppell.

Still there is no pressure on him as it is not relevant at the moment if we are in div 2 or div 1 as we cannot compete in div 1 until we have Falmer.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
BB - You say we played better when Knight was off, does this mean you think he should not have played all season following your logic as we would be in the relegation zone this season without his goals, Knight is the only thing that has made this season bearable and I think McGhee's decision was terrible.

Gareth Glover said:
8 league games - 3 wins 2 draws 3 defeats. Dumped out of the FAC cup at the first hurdle by a div 3 side, dumped out of the LDV when he fielded a weakened side.

Coppell had this side 4 points clear at the top so with regard to the squad of players we have he has been very very average. We have had the luxury of 3 of the best managers in the Nationwide league and McGhee is simply not in the class of Adams, Taylor or Coppell.

Still there is no pressure on him as it is not relevant at the moment if we are in div 2 or div 1 as we cannot compete in div 1 until we have Falmer.

I always think you have good points Gareth, even though I generally disagree!:lolol:

Coppell got us in a good position but if he had stayed, would have got caught out as his style of play would not have lasted in thisdivision and certianly not in division 1.

However, as you say, we cannot really compete higher without Falmer

mitch

Oct 16, 2003
Gareth Glover said:
BB - You say we played better when Knight was off, does this mean you think he should not have played all season following your logic as we would be in the relegation zone this season without his goals, Knight is the only thing that has made this season bearable and I think McGhee's decision was terrible.

bring on the wind up merchant

Gareth Glover said:
]

Course not! We couldn't have survived without Leon! However, defenders have now cottoned on to his diving. He has 3 defenders round him permantly and they take advantage of his diving antics. He hasn't scored many lately and we cannot rely just on him. When he plays, I think our team are more likely to pass the ball to him as they think he's more likely to score. When he didn;'t play, these same players were making great opportunities and trying to score instead of passing to our main man,

ripper

Jul 5, 2003
It seems to me there was a bit of a problem with morale when Coppell left. McGhee has not had the easiest job but is doing ok in putting some discipline back into the side. OK we haven't had the best run of results but I hope with a bit more time he can put that right.

Like others have said I would like him to bring in some players of his own choice too, when the time comes.

mitch

Oct 16, 2003
most of ours points came early in season when we had a good run a lot of teams started slowly and we played them at the right time,you have to play to knights strengths but a lot of oppositions sides know this and set themselves accordingly.henderson was a lump but they were a good partnership saying that i'm not taking anything away from mcphee who gets better every game.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Under Coppell we were picking up points without playing good football, since he left there has been little change in the quality of play (although Yeates is a welcome addition) but teams have worked out that we have full backs that cannot tackle and centre halves who are not very swift and have exploited this. Although he was not at his best, the loss of Simon Rodger has hindered us this season

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
ripper said:
It seems to me there was a bit of a problem with morale when Coppell left. McGhee has not had the easiest job but is doing ok in putting some discipline back into the side. OK we haven't had the best run of results but I hope with a bit more time he can put that right.

Like others have said I would like him to bring in some players of his own choice too, when the time comes.

I am in full agreement with this. Far to soon to judge and I expect him to do well in the long run as long as the players do their part.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Reckon we would have performed more or less the same this season under either Coppell or McGhee. Same set of players, and it's pretty obvious they haven't really got the brains to play to instructions - which is why McGhee's got them orienteering, to try and get them thinking a bit more - according to the Wycombe programme. Disappointing that some of the senior players don't appear to have learnt anything from the experience of playing in Division One, indeed some appear to have gone backwards (yup, that'll be you then Kerry).

One thing's for sure, if Coppell hadn't had the foresight to pick up Leon Knight then we wouldn't even be talking about play-offs, however implausible that talk is, we'd be looking at a fight to stay in Division Two. Leon's goals are papering over a lot of serious cracks.

Gary Nelson

Jul 25, 2003
Hove
BrightonBird said:
Speaking to friends and fellow Albion fans, it seems as if a lot of people are disappointed with MM following his appointment as BHAFC manager. We haven't got the results in and are not "grabbing the bull by the horns" shall we say.

I am in the minority of fans (ok the only fan I know) that is glad with Mark McGhee's appointment. Since he has managed our team, we are looking a better team that pass the ball instead of lobbing it to Knight. He is trying to change the style of play, and this takes time. We are not a large team so long ball does not suit us. We need to have time to change and I would rather us stay in division 2 next season and perfect our style of play, then go up to division 1 and get caught out again with long balls that just don't work.

We have to look at the long term future of Brighton and establish ourselves within the next 5 years as a good division 1 side. It will take time but I do think Mark McGhee is the right man for the job!

What do you think? Am I the only one?

Your effort to start this year by posting good solid football threads with sound judgemnt have started well BB
;)
I thought we played quite well in the opening half at Swindon and Pearcy deserved to keep his place. The 1 good thing Ferguson does at Man Utd is as soon as the experienced players look like the are taking their foot off the gas, he will replace them (Ince, Hughes, Kanchelskis etc.....) Not that we have the luxury to do that. It will take time for McGhee to get new players in, but he was right not to play Knight.

I think McGhee will get it right. I wish we were top of the league ans stripping everyone but the last 3 years have been a dream world. I think the frustrating thing for most fans is the fact we are probably one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the league and were correctly 4 points clear without playing well. Aside form Plymouth who I hope are promoted due to their style of play and lovely ground I dont see any 'better' teams than us. Even we we lost to QPR with their full team and a few stiffs in for us playing poorly, they did not out play us. That for me is the most frustrating thing, we should be walking this league

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here