Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Yoda

English & European
think you're asking for something we dont have tech for, at least not at scale. its one thing to detect presence of a virus, quite another to measure the amount of virus, and yet another to judge symptomatic state (which can change). it would at least take a more complex process.

You're probably right :down: In an ideal world an all that.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
19 percent drop on English cases today

For the first time in about 10 weeks the 7 day average has gone negative, todays cases are the same as 10 days ago at 36k.

I think its fair to say the latest peak in infections has passed.

Schools are out now that will help...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
For the first time in about 10 weeks the 7 day average has gone negative, todays cases are the same as 10 days ago at 36k.

Hope so.

I think they will go up again shortly

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

The bit in bold is bold

But let's hope you are right, if so this really could be the beginning of the end

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

With schools out does that not mean there is less testing going on ?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
With schools out does that not mean there is less testing going on ?

No drop in testing yet - https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/testing

Although there seems to have been a lot of different end of term dates across the country. Two of mine broke up on Wednesday, youngest finished today, some friends kids finished last week. Will be interesting to see what the drop off in tests is like over the next week or so.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Interesting stats……..infection/hospitalisation much, much more prevalent in the unvaccinated - numbers more or less correlate to the vaccine efficacy expectations

4CAA0621-C798-4B5F-A099-BFDEAEAA6306.jpeg

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
DT extract - headline could be ‘Ferguson has another modelling shocker’

Our latest Covid wave may have peaked – and at a far lower point than expected
Figures suggest end of the third wave may be on the horizon, with virus infections largely falling since July 15
By
Sarah Knapton,
SCIENCE EDITOR
23 July 2021 • 9:00pm

Just last weekend, Prof Neil Ferguson told the BBC it was "almost inevitable" that Britain would soon see 100,000 Covid cases per day and possibly even 200,000 daily infections.

For months now, modellers have been warning of a devastating summer spike that could exceed the highs of previous waves. Sajid Javid, the Health Secretary, asked the country to brace for six-figure daily infection numbers.

Yet there are early signs that Britain has already peaked – and has done so at a far lower point than anyone expected. On July 15, the country recorded 60,676 cases, and infections have been largely falling ever since.

Although daily case numbers can be erratic, the seven-day rolling average is telling the same story.

The slowdown began on July 19, when there was just a 1.7 per cent increase compared to 5.5 per cent the day before. The increase was smaller again the following day, at just 0.5 per cent, before falling by 2.6 per cent on July 22.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Lots of protests in Australia now……..millions in lockdown, yet cases still rising. The ‘closed borders’ strategy had to be complemented by an aggressive vacc plan - which they haven’t managed at all with only about 13% vaccinated so far. Interesting to see how they get out of the lockdown cycle they are now in an reopen their borders with so few vaccinations happening……..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-57952516

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
DT extract - headline could be ‘Ferguson has another modelling shocker’

Our latest Covid wave may have peaked – and at a far lower point than expected
Figures suggest end of the third wave may be on the horizon, with virus infections largely falling since July 15
By
Sarah Knapton,
SCIENCE EDITOR
23 July 2021 • 9:00pm

Just last weekend, Prof Neil Ferguson told the BBC it was "almost inevitable" that Britain would soon see 100,000 Covid cases per day and possibly even 200,000 daily infections.

For months now, modellers have been warning of a devastating summer spike that could exceed the highs of previous waves. Sajid Javid, the Health Secretary, asked the country to brace for six-figure daily infection numbers.

Yet there are early signs that Britain has already peaked – and has done so at a far lower point than anyone expected. On July 15, the country recorded 60,676 cases, and infections have been largely falling ever since.

Although daily case numbers can be erratic, the seven-day rolling average is telling the same story.

The slowdown began on July 19, when there was just a 1.7 per cent increase compared to 5.5 per cent the day before. The increase was smaller again the following day, at just 0.5 per cent, before falling by 2.6 per cent on July 22.

This is not taking into account the full opening up that occurred on July 19. I suspect it will be a couple of weeks or so yet before we know if things are getting better. It's impossible to tell.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Disgusting rhetoric in London. Words fail me.

[tweet]1418984363304394762[/tweet]

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Disgusting rhetoric in London. Words fail me.

[tweet]1418984363304394762[/tweet]
Jesus. I wouldn't wish covid on anyone, but it's hard not to hope that anyone who cheered that witch's hate speech might just get infected and then realise that these doctors and nurses are actually quite important.

Big crowd of presumably unvaccinated people, there must be a few that have it.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If it takes off from that please can we call it the **** variant?

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Jesus. I wouldn't wish covid on anyone, but it's hard not to hope that anyone who cheered that witch's hate speech might just get infected and then realise that these doctors and nurses are actually quite important.

Big crowd of presumably unvaccinated people, there must be a few that have it.

This winter is going to be bad regards seasonal flu and other respiratory illnesses. On there own you can deal with them however being unvaccinated and getting both COVID and the flu is going to be biblical. Things will not end well for the unvaccinated this winter ……

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Only way to ensure full jab sign-up IMHO is to make it proof-of-entry to McDonalds and Burger King. Only way low IQ cntz might finally get the good news. Worst case scenario they might be forced - largely against their will - into a healthier diet

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here