Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Bollocks - just had an alert of a positive case in Bozza, jnr's year group so they're all isolating from now, bringing an abrupt end to the school year, which is his last one at his primary school.

They've already missed do many "rights of passage" things this year, such as a week away residential, and this knocks out the rest - a show tomorrow that they've been rehearsing for ages together (and why the whole year group have to isolate), an end-of-year rounders and picnic on the Gallops here in Findon later this week, getting to say goodbye to teachers and friends on Friday with a final get-together after school.

Many people have it a lot worse, so we're not complaining as such, but it does feel like a massive shame.

I genuinely think that’s a big miss for your kids (plus you as a parent) and certainly get my sympathies …I hope that next school year they are able to experience the full package in the step up to secondary school

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Bollocks - just had an alert of a positive case in Bozza, jnr's year group so they're all isolating from now, bringing an abrupt end to the school year, which is his last one at his primary school.

They've already missed do many "rights of passage" things this year, such as a week away residential, and this knocks out the rest - a show tomorrow that they've been rehearsing for ages together (and why the whole year group have to isolate), an end-of-year rounders and picnic on the Gallops here in Findon later this week, getting to say goodbye to teachers and friends on Friday with a final get-together after school.

Many people have it a lot worse, so we're not complaining as such, but it does feel like a massive shame.
That's because children are a soft target. They don't get ill and are less likely to pass the disease on, but on the other hand they don't have votes and are also up against a powerful lobby (teachers' unions) who want schools closed as far as possible. (For the record I don't think the teachers' unions attitude reflects that of the teachers; but the majority of teachers aren't active enough in the union to vote out the union leaders. Hence they allow the union leaders to speak for them, and what they say is not good.)

Our current government has no interest at all in standing against the teachers' unions and for the children. By now, they ought to have announced that children will be the priority - next school year, if they won't do it this year - and under all but the most deadly circumstances, schools will remain open. Adults will have make any compromises necessary to work round this,

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Advice needed - had my first jab at start of June. Quite keen to get my second done ASAP, can I just book in myself beyond the 8 week mark (as the NHS site allows me to do) or do I need to wait to be called for my 2nd dose?

Just there are events in late August/early Sept I’d like to get to that may require 2 doses and I don’t know how long before the event the second dose needs to be…

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Advice needed - had my first jab at start of June. Quite keen to get my second done ASAP, can I just book in myself beyond the 8 week mark (as the NHS site allows me to do) or do I need to wait to be called for my 2nd dose?

Just there are events in late August/early Sept I’d like to get to that may require 2 doses and I don’t know how long before the event the second dose needs to be…
On the 8 week date after my first dose, I got an automated text and email inviting me to book a sooner date for my second if I wanted to.

I got that message last Wednesday and was able to book to have my second dose on Sunday.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
On the 8 week date after my first dose, I got an automated text and email inviting me to book a sooner date for my second if I wanted to.

I got that message last Wednesday and was able to book to have my second dose on Sunday.

Did you get your jab at a National hub or local GP surgery/centre?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Did you get your jab at a National hub or local GP surgery/centre?
It was originally booked for a vaccine hub up North, but as we're down here at the moment it was done in what used to be a Mothercare at Lottbridge Drove, Eastbourne.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So…double jab also needed from end of September of u want to attend sporting events with significant crowds?

How is this going to be policed ?

I went to The Open last week - evidence of double jab (plus 14 days) or negative test was a condition of entry, but all that happened was a cursory glance at the QRC on my phone. If I’d used a screenshot of someone else’s QRC there is absolutely no way it would have been picked up. The date of the second jab wasn’t checked either. The queue even then was still pretty long, and that’s with people going in spread out over several hours, not all within an hour or so.

Are they going to actually start scanning the QRCs and matching them to ID ? Unworkable with a large crowd.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
How is this going to be policed ?

I went to The Open last week - evidence of double jab (plus 14 days) or negative test was a condition of entry, but all that happened was a cursory glance at the QRC on my phone. If I’d used a screenshot of someone else’s QRC there is absolutely no way it would have been picked up. The date of the second jab wasn’t checked either. The queue even then was still pretty long, and that’s with people going in spread out over several hours, not all within an hour or so.

Are they going to actually start scanning the QRCs and matching them to ID ? Unworkable with a large crowd.

Slightly different usage, but Canada have brought in an app/website to upload docs to allow entry for vaccinated travellers, If this was to go ahead that is the only way you could do it - check at point of purchase.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Lockdowns do not harm health more than Covid, say researchers

https://www.theguardian.com/society...t-harm-health-more-than-covid-say-researchers

Since early in the coronavirus pandemic, critics of unprecedented lockdown measures seen worldwide have argued that these interventions cause more harm than the disease itself. But an analysis of global health data suggests there is little evidence to support the idea that the cure is worse than the disease.

The analysis, published in the journal BMJ Global Health, considered claims that lockdowns cause more health harms than Covid-19 by examining their impacts on measures including death rates, routine health services and mental health.

As part of their study, researchers examined countries which imposed heavy restrictions with few Covid cases to assess whether the intervention was triggering excess mortality, said author Prof Gavin Yamey, from the Duke Global Health Institute at Duke University.

Using an international dataset of all-cause mortality from 94 countries, the researchers found that countries such as New Zealand and Australia experienced no excess mortality last year. In contrast, places with few Covid restrictions such as Brazil, Sweden, Russia and at times parts of the US had large numbers of excess deaths over the course of the pandemic.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
That survey is looking at short term, it seems. What they are unable to assess is long term death rates. It is known that there were tens of thousands fewer referrals for cancer and heart disease than usual in 2020; what isn't known is how many of the "missing" referrals will result in premature death.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

“It is … one of the most compelling pieces of evidence to support the notion that the cure was not worse than the disease,” said Yamey. “It does seem that countries that acted quickly and aggressively often had fewer deaths than in previous years. One study showed that lockdown may have reduced annual mortality by up to 6% from eliminating flu transmission alone.”

Quick and aggressive responses to outbreaks, not sticking your fingers in your ears singing 'la,la,la' pretending everything is okay as we again seem to be now.

:facepalm:

Yoda

English & European

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
As has been said, harm to health cannot be solely measured by excess mortality over that period. Ludicrous to suggest that and not surprised it's the Guardian pedalling it, they've really become anti anything that will get us out of lockdowns/restrictions lately.

It's the BMJ, as you say, "pedalling it", the Guardian are merely reporting their study. Which rather shows you haven't actually bothered to read it.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

I was in the same position this time last week. I noticed it was exactly 8 weeks since my first and hadn't heard from my doctor so I booked my 2nd online in Crowborough which was the closest available. About 4 hours later I got a txt from my doctor with a link to book in Haywards Heath (much closer for me) so cancelled the other one and booked again using their link.

Was all very easy and they all had next day appointments. I think it just depends which avenue you take to book, some places you can walk in, some you can book on the NHS website and some are thorough the GPs, and I'm sure there are other ways.

If your 8 weeks is up then get stuck in :thumbsup:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Edit: Actually that's not overly helpful!

Actually it is

https://www.sussexhealthandcare.uk/keepsussexsafe/sussex-covid-19-vaccination-programme/ - walk ins depending on vaccine

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
“It is … one of the most compelling pieces of evidence to support the notion that the cure was not worse than the disease,” said Yamey. “It does seem that countries that acted quickly and aggressively often had fewer deaths than in previous years. One study showed that lockdown may have reduced annual mortality by up to 6% from eliminating flu transmission alone.”

I actually find this line of thinking incredibly sinister and dangerous.

Is our purpose in life simply just to live as long as possible at any cost? If that sort of thinking becomes the norm I suspect the world will become a pretty awful place.

It reminds me of the brilliant Spielberg film I, Robot. The machine wants to restrict people's free will for their own safety (basically the ultimate do-gooder!) and funnily enough the machine is cast as the villain, even though it's trying to save lives. I wonder how many people will watch that film now and be rooting for V.I.K.I

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here