Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
This.
Quite a few scientists have already said that we could have opened up last month with no major difference to numbers.
Get it done. I say keep masks maybe but aside that, if anyone thinks the restrictions in place now are helping reduce infections, you’re either kidding yourself or haven’t been going out and about much. I’m at a major rail station now and there are hundreds of people brushing against one another, touching surfaces, a lot not wearing masks on the concourse. Trust me, taking away the remaining few restrictions will make almost no difference.

Chances are people would just ignore it as well, worst case it would end in unrest.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Chances are people would just ignore it as well, worst case it would end in unrest.

Exactly. There really is only so long freedoms can be restricted. Whatever side of the argument one is on, facts are facts.
If people are okay with a European wide football tournament being held, Tom Cruise at Wimbers, Grand Prix being raced, festivals going ahead, it’s a bit useless getting in a tizzy about people going into a restaurant or getting on a half empty bus without a mask.
There are swathes of the population who could barely wear a mask or stay indoors at the height of lockdown, they ain’t gonna give a **** after Monday. Whatever happens. .

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Exactly. There really is only so long freedoms can be restricted. Whatever side of the argument one is on, facts are facts.
If people are okay with a European wide football tournament being held, Tom Cruise at Wimbers, Grand Prix being raced, festivals going ahead, it’s a bit useless getting in a tizzy about people going into a restaurant or getting on a half empty bus without a mask.
There are swathes of the population who could barely wear a mask or stay indoors at the height of lockdown, they ain’t gonna give a **** after Monday. Whatever happens. .

Absolutely agree .. the days of reasoning are long gone (if indeed they ever applied to a large minority)

But I understand that France and Greece (and perhaps others) are saying if not double jabbed than restrictions (bars, restaurants, sports etc) will apply and as a consequence vaccine rates are accelerating.

Those who can't be bothered to get vaccinated may not give a stuff because they believe Covid is 'just a bad cold' but where does that leave the double jabbed vulnerable? I'm not in that group but if I were I would be thinking I would have to limit and restrict my life because of the selfishness of others that can still do whatever they want. It's arse about face, the wrong people are being impacted.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
46% of the deaths had been double vaccinated.

[tweet]1416317627174162438[/tweet]
If everyone was double vaccinated then 100% of any deaths would be double vaccinated.

I think it just shows that the vaccine isn't 100% effective. Which we knew.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If everyone was double vaccinated then 100% of any deaths would be double vaccinated.

I think it just shows that the vaccine isn't 100% effective. Which we knew.

It was supposed to be over 90% effective. No vaccine is ever 100% effective.

I know because I had a nasty bout of shingles last year despite having the Shingles jab in 2018.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It was supposed to be over 90% effective. No vaccine is ever 100% effective.

I know because I had a nasty bout of shingles last year despite having the Shingles jab in 2018.
It may well be. 90% effective doesn't mean only 10% of deaths will be double vaccinated.

That would only be the case if all age groups had an equal chance of death and if the same proportion of each age group had been double vaccinated.

Currently more of the most vulnerable have been double vaccinated so the 46% of deaths figure has little meaning without other data.

You need to pick an age group and then compare vaccinated and unvaccinated deaths within that age group.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
46% of the deaths had been double vaccinated.

[tweet]1416317627174162438[/tweet]

Ages, previous/current illness any context?

The report also said:

#COVID19 cases are surging in the UK, but the vaccines continue to afford significant protection.

Updated data from Public Health England (
@PHE_uk
) demonstrating strong effectiveness against hospitalization after 1st dose (~80%) & 2nd dose(~96%).

Why are people talking down the vaccine in a way allowed time on TV?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ages, previous/current illness any context?

The report also said:

#COVID19 cases are surging in the UK, but the vaccines continue to afford significant protection.

Updated data from Public Health England (
@PHE_uk
) demonstrating strong effectiveness against hospitalization after 1st dose (~80%) & 2nd dose(~96%).

Why are people talking down the vaccine in a way allowed time on TV?

Tbh, I don't know what to believe any more.

I'm over 70, double vaccinate but don't feel safe. I have ventured out a bit but with this Delta varient running riot, and people telling lies about their tests I feel very vulnerable.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

I'm over 70, double vaccinate but don't feel safe. I have ventured out a bit but with this Delta varient running riot, and people telling lies about their tests I feel very vulnerable.

Its a problem, and I dont blame you - the vaccines (whilst not 100%) are amazing - please try and remember that

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Just remember that if 100% of the people are double vaccinated then 100% of any deaths will be double vaccinated people.

That doesn't mean that the vaccine is 0% effective. It could well be 96%+ effective.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
BBC reporting that our new Health Secretary, Sajid Javid has tested positive!

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
They are already signalling to us lock downs are coming back. This is never ending if the powers that be have their way. Vaccines were meant to be the solution allegedly. I’m intrigued just how long society would accept a never ending status quo of lock down and vaccinations (effectively living imprisoned lives) for a disease that still only killed 0.3% of infected people even before the vaccines which allegedly have reduced this number greatly further. Time going to tell I guess but Stockholm syndrome is now a much bigger risk to us than covid for the future imo.

https://apple.news/AaE9SWdDsSP6tBRuILLFYwA

Last edited:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Flu that humans have lived with without lock downs for over a million years. Control and fear. The new society norm.

And won’t even be able to protest about it because the police will have the legal right to decide what is allowed and what isn’t in addition to anybody saying anything against the narrative being banned from platforms.

Feels like facism is very very close to me.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Rather interesting study done in Israel too giving much lower figures for double vaccinated deaths

Thank you for that, although it doesn't answer all my questions, as it didn't mention the Delta varient, I am a year older than the median age, and have an immune disorder.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Flu that humans have lived with without lock downs for over a million years. Control and fear. The new society norm.

These were epidemics, rather than pandemics. I had both and was quite ill with them.

Milder pandemics occurred subsequently in 1957–1958 (the "Asian Flu" caused by an A(H2N2) virus) and in 1968 (the "Hong Kong Flu" caused by an A(H3N2) virus), which were estimated to have caused 1–4 million deaths each.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here