Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If we are locking down again it won’t be because people are/are not wearing masks.

Nope, but it's one of a range of simple NPIs that can help.

2560px-SwissCheese_Respiratory_Virus_Interventions-ver3.0.png

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Very happy to see the legal restrictions lifted - people can now make use of their own judgement and face those consequences.

I wonder if there are any scenarios where the judgement of someone could possibly affect others...

I've had people sitting next to me, but not on Southern Rail since March 2020 (when someone coughed all over me the whole way).

Oh, that'll be one.

It's not difficult to spot the massive holes in the plan for "personal responsibility" when put in the hands of utter ****wits.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I have been relatively relaxed for much of the time - following the rules, but not especially worried about the likelihood of me or my close relatives becoming infected (we've all basically followed the rules, but not slavishly followed all the details and figures and so on). My sister had it really badly very early on (pre lockdown), and a couple of colleagues had mild symptomatic infections, and two tested positive with no symptoms at all. One colleague had what seemed to be covid early on, before testing was routinely available.

But, in just the last week, that colleague has come down badly with it (tested and postive) and three other people I know are very poorly, at home, and all tested positive. All four have been double-jabbed. All four either have young children or work in schools (or both). So, there are more people in my circle with covid now that at any point so far. Interesting - and the relation with children and schools seems inescapable.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I wonder if there are any scenarios where the judgement of someone could possibly affect others...

Oh, that'll be one.

It's not difficult to spot the massive holes in the plan for "personal responsibility" when put in the hands of utter ****wits.

Ye it’s great isn’t it…so looking forward to using my judgement on things ..not always right …but I welcome the opportunity

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Its ok, we've almost fully vax'd everyone, only 30million odd to go. Starting to mentally prepare for some kind of lockdown in the Autumn, if we avoid it its a bonus
They aren't going to vaccinate babies or young children, and quite possibly not older children. So there's a lot less than 30m to go, unless "the science" changes - but I'm not aware of any country in the world that is prepared to vaccinate under-12s.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Israel u-turned on mask wearing after 10 days when infections rose. I wouldn't be surprised to the Government to back track on this one, especially on public transport.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Its ok, we've almost fully vax'd everyone, only 30million odd to go. Starting to mentally prepare for some kind of lockdown in the Autumn, if we avoid it its a bonus

Thank you, thank you for reminding me why I don’t frequent this part of the board that often and good luck with your mental preparation.

And one final thought “bonus” hardly a word I’d use to describe avoiding another catastrophic lockdown that will do more damage to the citizens of this country yet again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Well after a night of almost zero sleep I get up finding myself feeling so isolated and detached from the real world and “normality”.

The government have announced a return to normality, but without a single mention of those whose lives will never be normal again.

I live in a household with someone who is clinically extremely vulnerable (CEV). We have all had our double vaccinations (I refuse to trivialise here by calling them jabs) so clearly have some level of protection - but do we?

My wife has blood cancer and a type that early research shows doesn’t significantly build up anti-bodies, so it’s quite possible she has very little protection from the virus.

Since March 2020, as a CEV person my wife has been offered support, guidance and even some legislative back up from the government - however, it appears that has all now gone! The protections for CEV people have ended and I didn’t hear one mention of CEV in Boris’ latest speech and to be honest, my wife is probably now less protected from Covid than she was 17 months ago.

Clearly treatments are better, but at this time if my wife were to end up in hospital with Covid, she has an approximate 50% chance of coming out alive, so please excuse me if I don’t celebrate Freedom Day!

I feel so alone and scared, yet I have to support my wife and convince her all will be fine, while secretly thinking it won’t.

My world crashed down in October 2019 when my wife received her cancer diagnosis, we saw some light at the end of the tunnel with an initial successful chemotherapy regime, then Covid arrived, but at least with the measures in place it felt like we were all in it “together” as my wife continued her 2 years worth of maintenance chemotherapy.

Now my world has come crashing down with an almost unbearable weight again, and I feel so alone and bereft of any feelings of a positive future.

Maybe in the next 2 weeks Boris will offer some solace and give further advice and protection in law for those CEV people, but I’m not holding out too much hope! It would appear that it is the very CEV people who gave up the most in the early days of the virus, by shielding, by locking themselves in for months on end, who will still pay the price and be the inevitable but sad deaths that Boris spoke of.

I really hope people can enjoy getting back to normal, going to the pub and standing at the bar, going to the theatre and concerts, having days out without having to pre-book, and of course not forgetting backed crowds at the football - but while you are enjoying getting your freedom back, please spare a thought for those for who life will possibly never be normal again!

I’m sorry if this post seems moany and self centred, I also apologise to those who read this and think, oh God he’s banging on about his wife’s cancer again, give it a rest, but this is how I feel now and it is from the heart and how I feel about our future.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Israel u-turned on mask wearing after 10 days when infections rose. I wouldn't be surprised to the Government to back track on this one, especially on public transport.

In the months to come, it's not difficult to see that a LOT of backtracking is going to be required.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
If we are locking down again it won’t be because people are/are not wearing masks.

True, it will be because the PM is generally reckless and gambles every time, just like he did last Autumn and it led to ten of thousands of dead.

He never learns despite nearly losing his own life

I should its important to remember we could have been in a position to "responsibly" lift the remaining restrictions if they'd actually properly secured our borders. (ironically the very thing the Tories have obsessed about for the last decade)

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Well after a night of almost zero sleep I get up finding myself feeling so isolated and detached from the real world and “normality”.

The government have announced a return to normality, but without a single mention of those whose lives will never be normal again.

I live in a household with someone who is clinically extremely vulnerable (CEV). We have all had our double vaccinations (I refuse to trivialise here by calling them jabs) so clearly have some level of protection - but do we?

My wife has blood cancer and a type that early research shows doesn’t significantly build up anti-bodies, so it’s quite possible she has very little protection from the virus.

Since March 2020, as a CEV person my wife has been offered support, guidance and even some legislative back up from the government - however, it appears that has all now gone! The protections for CEV people have ended and I didn’t hear one mention of CEV in Boris’ latest speech and to be honest, my wife is probably now less protected from Covid than she was 17 months ago.

Clearly treatments are better, but at this time if my wife were to end up in hospital with Covid, she has an approximate 50% chance of coming out alive, so please excuse me if I don’t celebrate Freedom Day!

I feel so alone and scared, yet I have to support my wife and convince her all will be fine, while secretly thinking it won’t.

My world crashed down in October 2019 when my wife received her cancer diagnosis, we saw some light at the end of the tunnel with an initial successful chemotherapy regime, then Covid arrived, but at least with the measures in place it felt like we were all in it “together” as my wife continued her 2 years worth of maintenance chemotherapy.

Now my world has come crashing down with an almost unbearable weight again, and I feel so alone and bereft of any feelings of a positive future.

Maybe in the next 2 weeks Boris will offer some solace and give further advice and protection in law for those CEV people, but I’m not holding out too much hope! It would appear that it is the very CEV people who gave up the most in the early days of the virus, by shielding, by locking themselves in for months on end, who will still pay the price and be the inevitable but sad deaths that Boris spoke of.

I really hope people can enjoy getting back to normal, going to the pub and standing at the bar, going to the theatre and concerts, having days out without having to pre-book, and of course not forgetting backed crowds at the football - but while you are enjoying getting your freedom back, please spare a thought for those for who life will possibly never be normal again!

I’m sorry if this post seems moany and self centred, I also apologise to those who read this and think, oh God he’s banging on about his wife’s cancer again, give it a rest, but this is how I feel now and it is from the heart and how I feel about our future.

Thoughts are with you and your wife.

The government are taking a massive gamble, and their record on this shows that pretty much every other time they've gambled, they've got it horrendously wrong.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

I saw on the BBC somewhere yesterday that some public transport providers - the responsible ones - will be trying to make the wearing of masks part of their Conditions Of Travel, tho may face an uphill struggle trying to enforce it

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
Our neighbour suffers from anxiety and the family have taken their child out of school which personally I don’t agree with but it’s their choice and have barely left the home for 18 months. They have turned down any offers of meeting up outside and we have been saying for a while we don’t see how they will get back to normal as the virus will always be around. On freedom day it will be worse going out, no distancing and masks and no reduced numbers, it will be a lot safer to try going out now to get some confidence but they won’t and I worry for them going forwards.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Thoughts are with you and your wife.

The government are taking a massive gamble, and their record on this shows that pretty much every other time they've gambled, they've got it horrendously wrong.

Thank you - I really, really hope my fears are unfounded and that the numbers start to drop off once the kids break for school summer holidays!

At the moment it doesn't feel like a comfortable place we are in - only time will tell if this government has been reckless with people's lives or if Boris is a political genius and master tactician!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Our neighbour suffers from anxiety and the family have taken their child out of school which personally I don’t agree with but it’s their choice and have barely left the home for 18 months. They have turned down any offers of meeting up outside and we have been saying for a while we don’t see how they will get back to normal as the virus will always be around. On freedom day it will be worse going out, no distancing and masks and no reduced numbers, it will be a lot safer to try going out now to get some confidence but they won’t and I worry for them going forwards.

If it is just "anxiety" then that probably is disproportionate to risk, but if there are underlying health issues that put them at risk, then not so much so...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Jesus Christ.

The Government really did a number on some people with the relentless fear.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Jesus Christ.

The Government really did a number on some people with the relentless fear.

I am the first to criticise the government but at a couple of stages in the last year and a half they did have to scare people into staying at home to prevent an even worse disaster. If some have taken it too far then they need to join the physical vulnerable, school children, etc. in having plans in place to help them recover.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003

I know exactly how you feel as I have Myeloma and am permanently on chemotherapy. I have always tried to assess risk objectively which has meant that in recent months I have commuted on the tube, eaten out etc with safety measures in place but I can’t see how I can continue do so when these are removed and with infection rates as they are. So, it will be effectively be back to shielding in 2 weeks. I lost my mother and an uncle to Covid and I don’t want my family to lose anyone else. Looking at a Myeloma social media support group this morning, it is clear that people are scared.

I have corresponded with my local MP, libertarian lunatic wing of the Tory party, and it is clear that he sees society as being split into those that contribute and those that are a burden. It is also clear into which he would put me although I have continued to work full time since diagnosis 3 years ago managing an entrepreneur support service which has been praised by many Tory mps and ministers, including Johnson himself. I am generally very positive but am really struggling today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here