Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
[tweet]1412077684230926337[/tweet]

if people are opposed to lifting the restriction, we'd assume they'll carry on, so lets see how many continue to wear masks after 19th.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
As predicted everything but isolation gone which is being looked up

Update on schools and travel this week

Media desperate for more lockdown

I think you will find the majority of the press are right behind releasing everything from any form of restrictions, and have been for some time. Mind you Murdoch, or the remaining Barclay brother, won't be taking advantage of the lifting of restrictions by going maskless on a train/Tube/bus in to the London office anytime soon.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So if people stick to their convictions, 75% or so will continue to wear them. Probably about what's happening now. Simple...................personal responsibility.

This.

No one has said you should NOT wear a mask, merely that it won't be enforceable by law. That's entirely right.

While it has been the law I've seen untold f**kwittery on both sides of the argument. I've seen people driving in cars by themselves with facemasks on. There's a girl who walks to my daughter's school by herself in the open air with a facemask on. I can only think the government and media have scared these families rigid. Equally I have seen fully grown adults walking round Tesco and sitting on buses like the law doesn't apply to them. No exemption lanyard, Just couldn't-give-a-shit.

If you are worried about mask wearing then continue to wear a mask. Given the result of that snap poll, presumably a lot of other people will. But the role of government needs to loosen. With efficacious vaccines available personal liberty has to win.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
At last, freedom for young adults. An enforced 16 months out from doing many of the things we were lucky enough to have done in those precious years.

All the political hacks seem gloomily annoyed. With tunnel vision for “case numbers”, very rarely mentioning hospital numbers, numbers on ventilators or the low death metrics.

Why don’t they ever listen to positive scientists, instead preferring the merchants of doom at politicised ‘Independent’ Sage?

It’s been explained for at least 9 months that the strategies being pursued by western governments, of vaccinating and then social interaction will inherently see high case numbers. Herd immunity? Whilst daily death numbers would hopefully remain very low. This is exactly where we are now.

We cannot be eternal prisoners of a strategy seeking perfection.

Last edited:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
As I have reduced immunity due to blood cancer the protection I have from the vaccinations will be less than for a healthy person and I may have none at all. I was reasonably confident travelling on the tube, eating out etc with some measures in place, like face masks on public transport, but with these removed and cases rising it looks like it will be effectively be back to shielding and doing much less outside the house than I do now until case rates drop substantially. For me 19 July will be the opposite of ‘Freedom' Day..

I feel for you. My wife has blood cancer and at the moment I am sick to the stomach with worry - we have been so careful over the past 17 months, only rececently venturing into Asda at 6am to do some essential shopping.

I have tried my hardest to tell her things will be OK, we will carry on with our precautions like face masks, social distancing and hand gel, but at the moment she just feels like collateral damage...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
At last, freedom for young adults. An enforced 16 months out from doing many of the things we were lucky enough to have done in those precious years.

All the political hacks seem gloomily annoyed. With tunnel vision for “case numbers”, very rarely mentioning hospital numbers, numbers on ventilators or the low death metrics.

Why don’t they ever listen to positive scientists, instead preferring the merchants of doom at politicised ‘Independent’ Sage?

It’s been explained for at least 9 months that the strategies being pursued by western governments, of vaccinating and then social interaction will inherently see high case numbers. Herd immunity? Whilst daily death numbers would hopefully remain very low. This is exactly where we are now.

We cannot be eternal prisoners of a strategy seeking perfection.

Agreed…

Ps your PM box is full…this maybe a deliberate attempt to avoid me LOL

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I feel for you. My wife has blood cancer and at the moment I am sick to the stomach with worry - we have been so careful over the past 15 months, only rececently venturing into Asda at 6am to do some essential shopping.

I have tried my hardest to tell her things will be OK, we will carry on with our precautions like face masks, social distancing and hand gel, but at the moment she just feels like collateral damage...

Regrettably you and your wife are part of a minority of people that will suffer as a result of the need to enable the majority to go about their business in the normal fashion, I can understand why your wife feels like collateral damage and whilst you won’t, it would be preferable that you received xtra help in some way or other.

Through my work I meet 100 plus people who I have never met before a week in and around the Brighton area, of all age groups , and in the last three months almost all want nothing more than freedom and a return to normal ASAP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Very happy to see the legal restrictions lifted - people can now make use of their own judgement and face those consequences.

I was worried that leaving the restrictions in place until the Autumn would mean a precautionary principle leaving them over Winter and nothing being lifted until next Spring. Now people can do what they want and people have the freedom to keep away from people doing what they want, too.

I would expect private premises - shops, visitor attractions etc. - to actually only slowly phase out the restrictions they currently have. Certainly there won't be a mass removal of all rules from shops and public events, but hopefully over the next two to three months things will start getting back to normal.

I am interested to see when someone next sits next to me on the train. In the underground I've had people sitting next to me, but not on Southern Rail since March 2020 (when someone coughed all over me the whole way).

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Very happy to see the legal restrictions lifted - people can now make use of their own judgement and face those consequences.

I was worried that leaving the restrictions in place until the Autumn would mean a precautionary principle leaving them over Winter and nothing being lifted until next Spring. Now people can do what they want and people have the freedom to keep away from people doing what they want, too.

I would expect private premises - shops, visitor attractions etc. - to actually only slowly phase out the restrictions they currently have. Certainly there won't be a mass removal of all rules from shops and public events, but hopefully over the next two to three months things will start getting back to normal

I am interested to see when someone next sits next to me on the train. In the underground I've had people sitting next to me, but not on Southern Rail since March 2020 (when someone coughed all over me the whole way).

I imagine it will take a long time to remove all signage and screens from shops, etc, and some will simply be left in place. Regardless of rules, there will be subliminal pressure to continue doing what we've been doing. And a lot of confusion!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I imagine it will take a long time to remove all signage and screens from shops, etc, and some will simply be left in place. Regardless of rules, there will be subliminal pressure to continue doing what we've been doing. And a lot of confusion!

Many businesses and service providers love the restrictions that they can impose on the great unwashed to restrict the public movement, banks, vets dentists etc, they won’t be quick to remove the stickers or the systems

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Many businesses and service providers love the restrictions that they can impose on the great unwashed to restrict the public movement, banks, vets dentists etc, they won’t be quick to remove the stickers or the systems

I’ll be interested to know what happens at the dentist ..I’m hoping the toilets will be accessible the next time I visit …can’t think why but I always need to go when I get to the surgery

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Completely ditching the obligation to wear a mask on public transport and in areas where people mix and merge is extraordinary.

Its ok, we've almost fully vax'd everyone, only 30million odd to go. Starting to mentally prepare for some kind of lockdown in the Autumn, if we avoid it its a bonus

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Is it just me who tries to keep 1m away from complete strangers when possible at the best of times?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here