Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Releasing the restrictions would make very little difference to that. By and large, young people are either in the camp of "we don't think this is dangerous, let's eat drink and be merry" or "this is dangerous, and even if the government tells me restrictions are ended, I'm not going to raves or night clubs or other big bashes". The number who stayed away from a crowded room to watch England because the rules said so, but would have gone to watch if the rules hadn't said so, is not that high IMO.

Well having indoor pubs limited to rule of 6 / table service is a big difference to pubs rammed to the max with no social distancing. England games would be super spreader events on steriods with a large number of unvaxed or partly vaxed people

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I know we test a lot, but yesterday we recorded more cases than the EU27 combined. I can't see how we can dump on restrictions when the number of cases of rising 70% in a week. I'm immensely relieved they weren't relaxed on 21st June, imagine the multiple super spreader events in packed pubs watching England?

Our vax programme has been great and we so close to getting everyone protected . Pursuing population immunity through infection seems just crazy

For every million infected 10-20% will end up with long covid and who knows the long term consequences of this?

F618CEAE-2086-48B4-84D3-F0D2E3618D4E.jpeg

This is from a couple of days ago, it’s a mystery as to why we are finding more cases.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I hope you don't suffer too badly from it :down: Fingers crossed the vaccine will still do some of it's job and clear it up for you within a few days. :kiss:

thank you! yes I'm confident that the vaccine has taken the edge off it and turned it from being very dangerous to merely very unpleasent

feels a lot like flu to be honest, I'm wiped out for a lot of the day, having a couple of 3 hour naps throughout the day etc.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Hope you get well soon…take it you are at home?

yes, so basically my mum is staying with us and tested positive during her stay (I imagine she caught it on her journey) so we were put into isolation when she got the positive test. I've caught it in that period (so a longer isolation stay for all of us)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Nice to see T cells being talked about again…almost forgotten about in media chat as compared to antibodies

An extract from an article in the DT

COMMON colds may prime the immune system against coronavirus, scientists believe, after finding that some people never develop an infection despite repeated exposure to the virus.

Researchers at University College London (UCL) have found that some people have natural protection against Covid, and seem to fight off germs using pre-existing memory T-cells.

T-cells remember past infections and circulate in the body looking for invaders. They can directly kill cells, or activate other parts of the immune system.

The scientists studied a cohort of 129 healthcare workers for 16 weeks who were at high risk of infection, and found that 57 people never tested positive for the virus.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Nice to see T cells being talked about again…almost forgotten about in media chat as compared to antibodies

COMMON colds may prime the immune system against coronavirus, scientists believe, after finding that some people never develop an infection despite repeated exposure to the virus.

Researchers at University College London (UCL) have found that some people have natural protection against Covid, and seem to fight off germs using pre-existing memory T-cells.

T-cells remember past infections and circulate in the body looking for invaders. They can directly kill cells, or activate other parts of the immune system.

The scientists studied a cohort of 129 healthcare workers for 16 weeks who were at high risk of infection, and found that 57 people never tested positive for the virus.

Had a discussion with my daughter about this……she’s always been susceptible to colds and coughs but despite working for several months full time on a Covid ward with very high exposure to it she never knowingly caught it.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing

Does occur to me this is one area that needs more research. I did read that the strain of flu that caused problems in 2018 has disappeared because so few people have been travelling between north and south hemispheres.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Singapore looking at the ‘living with Covid’ scenario

DT extract

Singapore is making plans to stop counting its daily Covid-19 cases in a roadmap to resuming normal life by treating the virus like any other endemic disease.

The city nation of 5.7 million has so far enforced some of the strictest and most successful pandemic-busting rules on the planet, recording just 36 deaths by curbing the virus through tough border restrictions, lockdowns and mass contact tracing and testing.

But in a nod to the public's “battle weariness” after 18 months of maintaining a low Covid strategy, three leading members of Singapore’s Covid-19 taskforce have proposed a “roadmap” to return to quarantine-free travel, large gatherings and to end the tally of daily cases.

“Instead of monitoring Covid-19 infection numbers every day, we will focus on the outcomes: how many fall very sick, how many in the intensive care unit, how many need to be intubated for oxygen, and so on. This is like how we now monitor influenza,” wrote the trade, finance and health ministers in a joint op-ed in the Straits Times.

“We can't eradicate it, but we can turn the pandemic into something much less threatening, like influenza, hand, foot and mouth disease, or chickenpox, and get on with our lives.”

Their broad plan to return to normality relies heavily on controlling infection rates through mass vaccination, shifts in testing methods, better treatments and social responsibility.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Singapore looking at the ‘living with Covid’ scenario

DT extract

Singapore is making plans to stop counting its daily Covid-19 cases in a roadmap to resuming normal life by treating the virus like any other endemic disease.

The city nation of 5.7 million has so far enforced some of the strictest and most successful pandemic-busting rules on the planet, recording just 36 deaths by curbing the virus through tough border restrictions, lockdowns and mass contact tracing and testing.

But in a nod to the public's “battle weariness” after 18 months of maintaining a low Covid strategy, three leading members of Singapore’s Covid-19 taskforce have proposed a “roadmap” to return to quarantine-free travel, large gatherings and to end the tally of daily cases.

“Instead of monitoring Covid-19 infection numbers every day, we will focus on the outcomes: how many fall very sick, how many in the intensive care unit, how many need to be intubated for oxygen, and so on. This is like how we now monitor influenza,” wrote the trade, finance and health ministers in a joint op-ed in the Straits Times.

“We can't eradicate it, but we can turn the pandemic into something much less threatening, like influenza, hand, foot and mouth disease, or chickenpox, and get on with our lives.”

Their broad plan to return to normality relies heavily on controlling infection rates through mass vaccination, shifts in testing methods, better treatments and social responsibility.

All sounded so good for here until the last two words...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
All sounded so good for here until the last two words...

I think that is a tad unfair…a significant majority of people will take a responsible attitude ..of course that definition of what is responsible to one maybe different to another….and of course there will always be an element who won’t no matter what

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I think that is a tad unfair…a significant majority of people will take a responsible attitude ..of course that definition of what is responsible to one maybe different to another….and of course there will always be an element who won’t no matter what

Unfortunately as we know all too well at the moment, it only takes a few to spoil things...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Unfortunately as we know all too well at the moment, it only takes a few to spoil things...

Well, better get used to the idea………DT have just published this (extract)

Boris Johnson has signed off on plans to end the compulsory wearing of face masks from July 19, The Telegraph understands, as the Prime Minister prepares to declare this week that the link between Covid-19 infections and hospitalisations has finally been broken.

Mr Johnson is expected to lay out a blueprint for how England will live with the virus, as ministers prepare to replace swathes of legal restrictions with a call for “common sense” and “personal responsibility”.

As part of the move, the Government is expected to ditch the compulsory wearing of masks, along with the one-metre-plus rule that pubs and restaurants have warned is crippling them.

Announcing the changes this week, an increasingly bullish Mr Johnson is expected to cite recent data and modelling to declare that, while infection rates will rise as restrictions are eased, the successful roll-out of Covid-19 vaccines means that the numbers of hospitalisations and deaths are no longer rising at the same scale as before.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Well, better get used to the idea………DT have just published this (extract)

Boris Johnson has signed off on plans to end the compulsory wearing of face masks from July 19, The Telegraph understands, as the Prime Minister prepares to declare this week that the link between Covid-19 infections and hospitalisations has finally been broken.

Mr Johnson is expected to lay out a blueprint for how England will live with the virus, as ministers prepare to replace swathes of legal restrictions with a call for “common sense” and “personal responsibility”.

As part of the move, the Government is expected to ditch the compulsory wearing of masks, along with the one-metre-plus rule that pubs and restaurants have warned is crippling them.

Announcing the changes this week, an increasingly bullish Mr Johnson is expected to cite recent data and modelling to declare that, while infection rates will rise as restrictions are eased, the successful roll-out of Covid-19 vaccines means that the numbers of hospitalisations and deaths are no longer rising at the same scale as before.

As expected.

I’m not too bothered, as we will continue to do what we have done as a family for the last 16 months to keep my little family unit safe...!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
No social distancing or masks and lots of hugging going on whilst people watched the football outside at pubs etc shown on the news. Yet my sons end of school prom has been cancelled and his orientation day at 6th form next Tuesday has also been postponed due to covid. Got to get our priorities right though I suppose. :rolleyes::annoyed:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No social distancing or masks and lots of hugging going on whilst people watched the football outside at pubs etc shown on the news. Yet my sons end of school prom has been cancelled and his orientation day at 6th form next Tuesday has also been postponed due to covid. Got to get our priorities right though I suppose. :rolleyes::annoyed:

Hang in there, free-for-all from 19th July.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here