Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I was working in a factory in Kenington yesterday and the mood around the table at tea break was fxxx it after the 21st that’s it with all this COVID shit…..and walking around at lunch time ( a walk around the oval) it also seems a lot of others are just back to normal.

In my local last night the mood was the same, folks have had enough and the danger is no one will carry on with mask wearing and SD if a proper deadly pandemic comes along….let’s face it a pandemic that has a survival rate of 99% is a pretty weak one.

Compliance will be an issue

Asda today is rammed today.

It will be issued to see what (if anything ) those venues that had said they won’t follow the rules do

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
4 weeks and then a review what do after then seems the likely outcome tomorrow, let's hope cases and hospitalisations come down in the next four weeks to prevent a further extension.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
4 weeks and then a review what do after then seems the likely outcome tomorrow, let's hope cases and hospitalisations come down in the next four weeks to prevent a further extension.

Please stop talking about a further extension when there hasn't been a chance to even start compiling new data. I've defended your stance on here, but there does seem to be a certain amount of "glee" about some of your posts.

You really could have left this for another week or two, couldn't you?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Please stop talking about a further extension when there hasn't been a chance to even start compiling new data. I've defended your stance on here, but there does seem to be a certain amount of "glee" about some of your posts.

You really could have left this for another week or two, couldn't you?

He’s desperate for lockdown to continue ad infinitum.........however, there are some signs that there may already be a flattening off of case numbers (also indicates by Zoe)........can understand the caution and the extension probably makes sense but if this trend continues we’ll be in good shape. Deaths continue to trip along at less than 10 a day and there are very modest increases in hospitalisations thus far

F554E110-64D1-4726-841B-E56F9638CD0A.png

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
He’s desperate for lockdown to continue ad infinitum.........however, there are some signs that there may already be a flattening off of case numbers (also indicates by Zoe)........can understand the caution and the extension probably makes sense but if this trend continues we’ll be in good shape. Deaths continue to trip along at less than 10 a day and there are very modest increases in hospitalisations thus far

View attachment 137641

I’d like to see sages modelling for if we stay they same.

It’s unlikely to happen

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

View attachment 137641

I'm not desperate for lockdown, I'm desperate for for not another lockdown and what we have currently is not lockdown. If we release too quickly then that prospect either later this summer or in the Autumn/Winter becomes more of a realistic possibility. I welcome the extension announced today, it is the right decision but it does set a precedent and if case numbers continue to rise they could be very high in another 4 weeks and I don't see how given what the government are doing today that they can then release all restrictions if all the metrics are far worse than they are now with likely higher case numbers, deaths and hospitalisations. Hopefully you are right and the case numbers are starting to level off.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm not desperate for lockdown, I'm desperate for for not another lockdown and what we have currently is not lockdown. If we release too quickly then that prospect either later this summer or in the Autumn/Winter becomes more of a realistic possibility. I welcome the extension announced today, it is the right decision but it does set a precedent and if case numbers continue to rise they could be very high in another 4 weeks and I don't see how given what the government are doing today that they can then release all restrictions if all the metrics are far worse than they are now with likely higher case numbers, deaths and hospitalisations. Hopefully you are right and the case numbers are starting to level off.
The idea is that 4 more weeks gives every over 50 year old that wants one their 2nd dose.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Because of our ties with India, a well-established Indian/British community, some of who move quite fluidly between the two countries.

This caused a relatively high number of Delta "seeds" to be sown in small geographic areas where there are a lot of multi-generational households and high levels of vaccine hesitancy.

In short - all of the ingredients to encourage for viral spread.

Other countries will catch up and, in the US, it could be quite devastating when it does.

With this in mind the PM should have been especially vigilant about the terrible situation in early April, he acted on Pakistan and Bangladesh but chose to ignore India

Despite our brilliant vaccination programme which is more progressed than anywhere else in Europe we now have the highest infection rate in Europe which is tragic

Today's delay is down to Johnson, a complete failure in his governance. I find it incredible the press give him such an easy ride, the delta would get here eventually but would have arrived a lot later when we'd have higher protection

Granny on the wing

Sep 7, 2019
With this in mind the PM should have been especially vigilant about the terrible situation in early April, he acted on Pakistan and Bangladesh but chose to ignore India

Despite our brilliant vaccination programme which is more progressed than anywhere else in Europe we now have the highest infection rate in Europe which is tragic

Today's delay is down to Johnson, a complete failure in his governance. I find it incredible the press give him such an easy ride, the delta would get here eventually but would have arrived a lot later when we'd have higher protection

The PM was going to visit India in that delayed period which was cancelled in the end. Australia shut the gate straight away .They even had cricketers who played in the IPL having to go to another country for 10 days or so before going back to Australia.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

Very much this. He was desperate for a trade deal and so didn’t want to piss off Modi. In fact, up until four days before India went onto the red list Boris was planning a trade visit to India. Both Pakistan and Bangladesh had much lower COVID rates but still got put on the red list.

A **** up of biblical proportions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Very much this. He was desperate for a trade deal and so didn’t want to piss off Modi. In fact, up until four days before India went onto the red list Boris was planning a trade visit to India. Both Pakistan and Bangladesh had much lower COVID rates but still got put on the red list.

I don’t disagree.

Yet we red listed it before other countries which haven’t been hit by it (yet)

Are we looking for it more?

Yoda

English & European
I don’t disagree.

As a percentage, I believe only Denmark genomically sequences more of their samples than we do, but as an overall number we by far test more samples than anyone else. I think it's more a case of not us looking for it more, but others not really making the effort to look for it.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
As a percentage, I believe only Denmark genomically sequences more of their samples than we do, but as an overall number we by far test more samples than anyone else. I think it's more a case of not us looking for it more, but others not really making the effort to look for it.

Fair point, leads to the same result

5E65F1BB-30C8-459E-B3BE-E3A8DE41258C.jpeg

Our testing seem to be way up as well.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1404388342498738180[/tweet]

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I don’t disagree.

Yes we test more because we have the ability to do so.

The number of uk nationals returning from India went up as the number of cases in India went up as we had lower rates. Very sensible, I would do similar. What needed to be put in place was a mechanism to ensure that those who returned isolated. Clearly this was not the case as most new cases were predominately in the Indian community. It’s not helped by multi generational households etc.

He ****ed up …again.

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

The thing is the deal is had on the table at only worth £1b, Cameron did a deal with India for £10b in 2015 and to put it in context our trade with those pesky muppets over the Channel is worth £600b

We're and island and we're streets ahead in the vaccine rollout but somehow Johnson has managed to snatch a defeat from the claws of victory.

I just despair at the sheer incompetence, this isn't a game, this is peoples lives

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yes we test more because we have the ability to do so.

The number of uk nationals returning from India went up as the number of cases in India went up as we had lower rates. Very sensible, I would do similar. What needed to be put in place was a mechanism to ensure that those who returned isolated. Clearly this was not the case as most new cases were predominately in the Indian community. It’s not helped by multi generational households etc.

He ****ed up …again.

yep what we required was full isolation of those returning, restricting them and their households. but no one would go that far, and only wanted to talk about flights in late April, when thousands had already come in. shame these insights werent given the Sage meetings in April and May (they werent sure of the impact well into May).

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here