Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The Indian variant is in 50 odd countries, including Denmark, Israel and USA who dont Seem to be having much issue - I’m interested to know why we are

because the narrative is to push the vaccines . Always has been

Was never about the old and elderly ,

News currently going after the youngsters you will see.

This isnt a co incidence

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
because the narrative is to push the vaccines . Always has been

Was never about the old and elderly ,

News currently going after the youngsters you will see.

This isnt a co incidence

I am not sure its a vaccine conspiracy, if the goal was to push more vaccines they wouldnt be putting people off from getting it by moving the goal posts/saying it may not work.

Granny on the wing

Sep 7, 2019
I am not sure its a vaccine conspiracy, if the goal was to push more vaccines they wouldnt be putting people off from getting it by moving the goal posts/saying it may not work.

I`m not anti Vacc but it is worth looking into what has gone on in India and how they are beating Covid and it`s not because of Vaccines because they have not been given enough to their population .And from seeing it on TV a few weeks ago it is not through masks and social distancing IMO. They have given Home Kits with Ivermectin, Vitamin D etc. They giving Ivermectin to everyone as it also a prophylaxis.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The USA cases on the whole are down 50% over the past few days, not just the Kent Variant.

Are the test numbers down? Cant see it anywhere

First point: exactly what happened here. We were beating Alpha and driving down infections with our cocktail of remaining restrictions and vaccination programme. Then Delta popped up. "Nothing to worry about, cases are going down" was the mantra from some quarters. In aggregate, yes they were as Alpha was dwindling but, at the same time, Delta was spreading.

Yes, test numbers are massively down in the US. I won't be able to find it now amongst the various things I've read, but one US public healthcare expert essentially said that a lot of people think it's all over so they aren't bothering with testing.

Unless something really bizarre has happened in the UK, I don't see how Delta won't eventually take over any country where it gets a reasonable head of steam going. It's more transmissible than all over variants currently in circulation, so it will get there sooner or later.

Let's check back in both 2 and 4 weeks and see the prevalence rate in the US at those times.

Granny on the wing

Sep 7, 2019
First point: exactly what happened here. We were beating Alpha and driving down infections with our cocktail of remaining restrictions and vaccination programme. Then Delta popped up. "Nothing to worry about, cases are going down" was the mantra from some quarters. In aggregate, yes they were as Alpha was dwindling but, at the same time, Delta was spreading.

Yes, test numbers are massively down in the US. I won't be able to find it now amongst the various things I've read, but one US public healthcare expert essentially said that a lot of people think it's all over so they aren't bothering with testing.

Unless something really bizarre has happened in the UK, I don't see how Delta won't eventually take over any country where it gets a reasonable head of steam going. It's more transmissible than all over variants currently in circulation, so it will get there sooner or later.

Let's check back in both 2 and 4 weeks and see the prevalence rate in the US at those times.
If your interested it is worth checking out Youtube stuff from FLCCC ,BIRD ,DR Been . Ivermectin works against all variants. Happy to be proved wrong .They don`t seem like wacky scientists.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

It’s not quite what happened here as they are a lot more open than we were at the same stage, we had driven down Alpha whilst being in various stages of lockdown.

I couldn’t see a number either, just that it was down - but that could be any figure - which makes me think this is part of the low pick up.

Full Vaccination in each state is over 40 percent everywhere minus Arizona and Georgia - which will have an affect I imagine.

We had a report than on average 5 direct passenger flights a day came in from India to the U.K from March till the ban, USA had 18.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If your interested it is worth checking out Youtube stuff from FLCCC ,BIRD ,DR Been . Ivermectin works against all variants. Happy to be proved wrong .They don`t seem like wacky scientists.

evidence? the research on Ivermectin is sketchy as i understand it. some positive results, however its not an anti-viral drug so its highly contentious if it should be used (how is it working on a virus?) so not approved by EMA, MRHA or FDA.

Granny on the wing

Sep 7, 2019
evidence? the research on Ivermectin is sketchy as i understand it. some positive results, however its not an anti-viral drug so its highly contentious if it should be used (how is it working on a virus?) so not approved by EMA, MRHA or FDA.

From what i have seen it puts a coating around the virus and the ace 2 receptor and blocks the virus from joining on to the cells then multiplying. The big Pharma companies are controlling everything They want to produce their own oral drug .It has been used for months in third world countries . .People really ill have made dramatic recoveries .In India the Doctors were arguing whether to use it or not because they were desperate but some States decided to and in a few weeks the curve had come right down .The top scientist from WHO tweeted for them not to use it as it was not a safe drug even though it has been used for decades for worms and river blindness and other things .It has a better safety record then Paracetamol .The Indian Bar Association have served a legal notice against the Scientist. I don`t think they would do that if the drug was useless for Covid.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Britain's test and trace scheme has been dealt a blow after US regulators cast doubt on the effectiveness of the rapid Covid-19 tests upon which it is based.

The US Food & Drug Association has issued a warning letter to manufacturer Innova saying its lateral flow tests violated a number of rules. They accused the company of failing to get approval, clearance or authorisation from the regulator.

Regulators said the performance of the tests had not been adequately established and added that they are concerned the tests could give false positives and negatives.

The watchdog warned that estimates for how well the test picked up Covid-19 cases were false or misleading and did not accurately reflect clinical study data.

The FDA launched its investigation after learning that tests were being distributed across the US despite not having regulatory approval. It conducted an inspection of a number of the company's manufacturing facilities between March and April.

The regulator said it had significant concerns that the tests "could present a serious risk to public health" and called for those that had been distributed to be recalled or thrown away.

The US regulator's warning will prompt fresh questions about the UK programme. The Government has put the tests at the centre of its "Operation Moonshot" efforts to bring Covid under control.

Innova has supplied the Government with more than one billion rapid tests under contracts worth more than £3bn.

The huge number of orders prompted Innova to announce last month that it would open a factory in South Wales to produce millions of tests a day.

Lateral flow tests are significantly cheaper than PCR tests, can be self-administered and five a result in minutes.

However, critics argue they have too many drawbacks to be reliable, as they may miss a large number of positive cases.

Innova said it intended to seek authorisation from the FDA and added: "The scientific world acknowledges now no test is 100pc accurate, even the gold standard PCR test.

Via the telegraph

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
From what i have seen it puts a coating around the virus and the ace 2 receptor and blocks the virus from joining on to the cells then multiplying. The big Pharma companies are controlling everything They want to produce their own oral drug .It has been used for months in third world countries . .People really ill have made dramatic recoveries .In India the Doctors were arguing whether to use it or not because they were desperate but some States decided to and in a few weeks the curve had come right down .The top scientist from WHO tweeted for them not to use it as it was not a safe drug even though it has been used for decades for worms and river blindness and other things .It has a better safety record then Paracetamol .The Indian Bar Association have served a legal notice against the Scientist. I don`t think they would do that if the drug was useless for Covid.

ah, so the pharma company producing Ivermectin is standing back, to allow all the other pharma companies to make money from as-yet-undiscovered treatments. :facepalm:
no, just like hydroxychloroquine, there isnt solid clinical proof.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
So it looks like a delay til July 19th (source just about everywhere) as details of what's happening before an announcement are once again leaked to the press.
I'm torn. I think the reported break clause on the 5th July is a good thing as it does seem like we could do with a bit more confirmation that admissions and deaths aren't going up on the same trajectory as cases. July 19th needs to be more of a carved in stone date though as the number of over 40s double vaccd plus 2 weeks will be far higher at that point.
I'm of to the lake District to spend my 4th weekend in a row at events for between 1500 and 2000 people and not unduly worried.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Britain's test and trace scheme has been dealt a blow after US regulators cast doubt on the effectiveness of the rapid Covid-19 tests upon which it is based.

The US Food & Drug Association has issued a warning letter to manufacturer Innova saying its lateral flow tests violated a number of rules. They accused the company of failing to get approval, clearance or authorisation from the regulator.

Regulators said the performance of the tests had not been adequately established and added that they are concerned the tests could give false positives and negatives.

The watchdog warned that estimates for how well the test picked up Covid-19 cases were false or misleading and did not accurately reflect clinical study data.

nothing new here, except a regulator restating the flaws. the lateral flow tests have never been accurate enough and largely pushed to be seen to do something. another thing the inevitable inquiry should dig into, who pushed these and on what basis we spent billions on these. its a majority of the track and trace budget iirc.

Yoda

English & European
So it looks like a delay til July 19th (source just about everywhere) as details of what's happening before an announcement are once again leaked to the press.
I'm torn. I think the reported break clause on the 5th July is a good thing as it does seem like we could do with a bit more confirmation that admissions and deaths aren't going up on the same trajectory as cases. July 19th needs to be more of a carved in stone date though as the number of over 40s double vaccd plus 2 weeks will be far higher at that point.
I'm of to the lake District to spend my 4th weekend in a row at events for between 1500 and 2000 people and not unduly worried.

Based of back of fag maths (even though I don't smoke). Should be up for my 2nd jab based on current rates in 2 weeks time, and I'm 41. Just need to wait for my surgery to give me the call.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
This Delta strain is a real ****. Up to 60% more transmissible, probably more deadly and easily preventable if only we’d closed the borders to India.

Single jabs don’t work very well.

Probably a 4 week delay in opening up now.

Too late to avoid a third spike though. The rate of Infection is going through the roof.

20 hospitalised after having 2 jabs, 6 of those having sadly passed away.

ONS believes that circa 95k have the Delta at the moment.

Why oh why did we let this ****ing strain seed over 120 times? How the **** did that happen? It’s going to cost us another 4 weeks lockdown and will probably kill a few hundred.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57447632

Looking like a 4 week extension so the government can further analyse the impact of the Delta variant before deciding next steps. Seems like the only decision really after mounting pressure from scientists, medical chief and the public to at least delay the end of lockdown.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
No chance it’s 4 weeks.

My money is on it staying like this till at least August, you are them at the start of the yearly NHS increase.

We have missed the ideal window purely and simply because the government failed to act quickly yet again.

Yoda

English & European
This Delta strain is a real ****. Up to 60% more transmissible, probably more deadly and easily preventable if only we’d closed the borders to India.

Single jabs don’t work very well.

I'm not so sure on that. Up to date real life data is suggesting otherwise.
(From the good news thread):

The link above doesn't appear to be working but I think this is what [MENTION=522]Kinky Gerbils[/MENTION] was trying to share

[tweet]1402346372687302656[/tweet]

Very encouraging and proof of the positive effect of the vaccine is having even after just one dose against the Delta variant.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57447632

Looking like a 4 week extension so the government can further analyse the impact of the Delta variant before deciding next steps. Seems like the only decision really after mounting pressure from scientists, medical chief and the piublic to at least delay the end of lockdown.

...some of the public

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here